Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 23rd March 2012, 22:21   #1  |  Link
Lucius Snow

BD9 and break layer on DVD DL

Hello all,

I burn some Blu-Ray (that i author) on DVD media, using AVCHD patcher 1.06 for a full compatibility (PS3, Panasonic etc).

I'd like to know how the break layer behaves on a DVD DL if i burn a H264 stream which makes more than 4,7 GB.

I hope my question is clear ...

Thanks.
Lucius Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 22:58   #2  |  Link
Capsbackup

If you use ImgBurn as I do, you never worry about the layer break for AVCHD. Only for DVD's on DVD DL media is the layer break important.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 00:09   #3  |  Link
Lucius Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
If you use ImgBurn as I do, you never worry about the layer break for AVCHD. Only for DVD's on DVD DL media is the layer break important.
How do you do this ?
Old 26th March 2012, 15:30   #4  |  Link
Capsbackup

There is NO layer break to set on AVCHD! Just use ImgBurn to "Create image file from files/folders" and then use it to "Write image file to disc". Or you can use it to "Write files/folders to disc".
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 20:41   #5  |  Link
Lucius Snow

Thank you.
Old 27th March 2012, 22:46   #6  |  Link
IanB
Avisynth Developer

The catch with the layer break is a physical performance one. Drives take time to adjust from one layer to the second. It's got a lot better as the technology has matured, early drives could take seconds to resync. Good DVD-DL mastering would try to place the location of the layer break at a scene change or other suitable place such that the inevitable pause in playback would not disturb the movie experience (to much). Of course there are many examples of don't care mastering, where the movie stops dead during a high motion scene.

With modern drives it is really not an issue. If it were an to be an issue then playback would pause as the stream starved for data while the drive futzed about changing layers.
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote