Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th July 2018, 07:54   #51881  |  Link
madjock

To be honest this whole thread seems to be pointless now.

As some of us are aware there is a thread in the AVS forum with a group working with test builds and Projectors.

For me personally, it now looks a little clique who are obsessed about certain frames of certain films and it seems to be stuck in a loop.

Nothing is spoke about in this thread other than the usual culprits of 23.976 or trying to get 12 Bit.

Just my thoughts obviously, but it seems to have gone quite stale.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2018, 08:28   #51882  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I agree; "advanced" issues with HDR and HBD and frame rate fine tuning, affecting only a part of the users, would have deserved a separate thread a lot earlier. Almost 52,000 replies now...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2018, 12:55   #51883  |  Link
Vincent Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Please don't quote in entirety a post directly above yours it's pointless.
good catch lil man, and welcome to doom9 forum!

i checked CP menu again and there doesnt seem to be an option to be notified if someone quoted your post. its either notify of all replies or dont notify at all. perhaps webmaster could consider to do something about it. in most other forums quoting is a way to attract the quoted user's attention by this specific kind of event.

@ryrynz
dont push your luck though with this sort of trolling. not everyone around here is as open-minded and forgiving as me.
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2018, 12:58   #51884  |  Link
ryrynz

Ain't trolling bro, I suggest you read up on what that actually is and understand how it easily doesn't apply here in particular this situation.
Nobody needs to be notified, everyone here is browing this forum on a near daily anyway.. so don't play that card.
It's a terrible waste of space and on other forums mods will tend to delete such posts.. use your head, it's not smart.
Maybe I should quote your entire post just so you know I'm talking to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
Just my thoughts obviously, but it seems to have gone quite stale.
Yeah, it's turned towards trouble shooting mostly. The software is quite mature and the development talk is on AVS right now.

Last edited by ryrynz; 30th July 2018 at 13:06.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2018, 13:07   #51885  |  Link
mclingo

chaps, , by all means quote but if its quite a long post just delete out the main body of text, this way the quoted knows they are the target of the response and the thread doesnt get junked up.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2018, 22:24   #51886  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
dont push your luck though with this sort of trolling. not everyone around here is as open-minded and forgiving as me.
It really is quite pointless here, there aren't any "you have been quoted" notifications or anything. If you are replying to the last post please just start typing in the quick reply without hitting quote. It really is more pleasant and less redundant to read.

If you want to type inline replies to individual points feel free to quote those points but there is no need to quote entire posts if you are replying to them as a whole (especially annoying when there are images in the quoted post).

I am not sure why you responded to this simple request with such hostility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
I agree; "advanced" issues with HDR and HBD and frame rate fine tuning, affecting only a part of the users, would have deserved a separate thread a lot earlier.
What should we be discussing in this thread? This is supposed to be madVR development and issues, what is there to figure out except HDR, custom resolutions, and high bit depth support? What topic is the discussion around these issues obscuring?

I am not opposed to a seperate thread for HDR, custom resolutions, and high bit depth support, if people would use it, but it doesn't seem off topic here either.

Last edited by Asmodian; 30th July 2018 at 22:55.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2018, 23:34   #51887  |  Link
jkauff

We should keep it all in this thread, so madshi can find us whenever he comes back.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 04:13   #51888  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I am not opposed to a seperate thread for HDR, custom resolutions, and high bit depth support, if people would use it, but it doesn't seem off topic here either.
This thread has always been covering all manner of topics not directly related to MadVR usage, there's just not really much in the way of discussion outside of issues during MadVR down time to keep many interested. We've covered so much over the years, no need to trend old ground until new paths are laid, things are okay as they are IMO.

Last edited by ryrynz; 31st July 2018 at 13:19.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 08:57   #51889  |  Link
madjock

A new HDR thread would not be much of a success I think.

Ironically it is the main use for me for madVR, but everyone either said it is a work in progress, and to be honest since there are so many variables with nit ratings of different films, displays, equipment and the likes, they are very hard questions to answer.

One has only to look at the AVS thread to see there may never be a good outcome or rather a use this for all films, and even with it now going to a 3 option scenario, there are still issues, so I actually think I was better off being more ignorant, as like them I seem to think things look off sometimes, or wonder what colours I should be seeing, when I never thought too much about it before.
Old 31st July 2018, 09:20   #51890  |  Link
strumf666

Having specific threads for let's say development, hdr, 12 bit, known issues, ... would make finding an answer a lot easier, especially if there were a faq or table of content with links in the first posts. It wouldn't solve everything, because there are always people that don't bother to read even one post above and maintaining those threads would also be more work, but for most it would probably be helpful.
strumf666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 09:49   #51891  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
I actually think I was better off being more ignorant, as like them I seem to think things look off sometimes, or wonder what colours I should be seeing, when I never thought too much about it before.
So true. Once you start down that path displays will never be the same again.
Old 31st July 2018, 10:32   #51892  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumf666 View Post
Having specific threads for let's say development, hdr, 12 bit, known issues, ...
Yeah you could be right, but then you end up with people asking the wrong questions in the wrong thread.

The trouble with HDR is as I said earlier, different equipment and the likes, so unlike the party line of it is how you like it, or whatever looks best to you, the default settings will work for the majority, but depending on your preference for NIT levels, or what model of TV you have, or what film it is, the whole situation is endless.

I started looking at 4k TVs, but after a couple of days I realised I could not afford what was classed as a decent one, so I think the more you know the less well off you are.

Unlike certain settings for Anime for example, the whole HDR to SDR seems to be a minefield, I understand why they are doing it on another forum now with a limited selection of people giving their thoughts, but since it is mostly based on projectors I am unsure if there will be much more support other than that thread, as it again will all be down to personal choice and equipment again.
Old 31st July 2018, 10:42   #51893  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumf666 View Post
Having specific threads for let's say development, hdr, 12 bit, known issues, ... would make finding an answer a lot easier, especially if there were a faq or table of content with links in the first posts.
Yes
I´m following this thread for many years now, it is a great thread, definitely, but the structure could be improved in my opinion. The all-in-one concept is sometimes really annoying, especially when:
- always the same questions again and again
- people searching for personal help - the solution is often enough of no use for anyone else
- general HTPC / computer stuff like "the best GPU", how big has my PSU to be, what CPU do I need...
- mixing up development view with end-user view
- mixing of stable / beta / experimental stuff

Many of these "annoyances" could be overcome at least partially with an alternative thread structure, like subthreads:

- FAQ: answers many of these "same questions over and over again"
- help: people can ask here for personal help, advanced users can do this "job"
- hardware section with subsections: discussing new hardware on the market, performance, price, experiences,...
- driver section: discussion room for "new driver is released", "driver x has these errors/flaws/faults", "driver y has this bug fixed", "driver z is my favorite driver"
- feature request: "madVR should contain..."
- research & development: discussing white papers, studies, recent approaches, alternatives, computer algorithms, neuronal networks,...
- test area: asking people for testing new features and deliver feedback
- vote section: making votes when making decisions for a majority of the community

Maybe not all of these sections are needed, maybe there are other, maybe they could be labeled in another way, but it should be useful.
Some guy only interested in help for a personal problem like "my blacks crush, why is that?" would not have to deal with active development of a new scaling algorithm. And the rest of the community outside of the help section would not have to deal with this guy
And another experienced / advanced guy is maybe only interested in the "test area", "research & development" and "feature requests" and doesn´t want to deal with the "plain rest".

The fact of 50000+ posts in this thread should be an indication for such a splitting

Not being able to explain things in a short manner, see above, I try to sum it up:
"This thread needs some structure"

Last edited by hannes69; 31st July 2018 at 10:45.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 10:52   #51894  |  Link
chros

I agree with those who wants separate threads for different stuff: all you have to do is just create them and instruct newcomers to use them
Old 31st July 2018, 10:57   #51895  |  Link
hannes69

It´s madshi´s thread so it´s madshi´s decision

Solution: madshi creates these subthreads, this thread here is closed, newcomers and oldies can only use the new subthreads. Simple.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 11:07   #51896  |  Link
madjock

All these things are available if people Google..

https://wiki.mikejung.biz/MadVR

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1709584

and all other threads...

Like all FAQs and Guides, they are only as good as the Version they were written for, and with Windows 10 issues, Driver issues as these get updated, and indeed new options in madVR, you can't really blame people coming to an "active" thread.

I was guilty of it myself, yes I read the FAQs, but when they are x amount of Revs behind, or the settings that were supposed to be the best were not even in the Guide, you do want to try and get what is the best settings that people have found for the latest Rev.

The HDR to SDR is never really explained anywhere, well it is in the excellent 2nd Guide, but with the variations and the issues we know about now and only a finite few seem to know how it works, and that was Revs ago, so unless someone who understands it can make a new guide (and keep it updated), there will always be questions, especially if someone has a C7 or a C8 etc...

Last edited by madjock; 31st July 2018 at 11:23. Reason: spelling
Old 31st July 2018, 14:52   #51897  |  Link
giulianoprs

Hello, I am a "foreign" user, I write from Italy, the forum is very useful, the best for madvr, there are no others like that !!!! however, put yourself in the shoes of a user who uses for the first time madvr, I in Italy could not find a forum with explanations valid to understand the fining here, with the help of google translator with 5/6 messages and thanks to users kind and prepared I understood many things, in the future maybe come back to ask for advice on HDR, when I buy a new 4k tv, for now thanks forum, thanks madshi and users like asmodian and warner306 that always give good recommend all !!! Hello everyone and good evening .
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 16:14   #51898  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
To be honest this whole thread seems to be pointless now.

As some of us are aware there is a thread in the AVS forum with a group working with test builds and Projectors.

For me personally, it now looks a little clique who are obsessed about certain frames of certain films and it seems to be stuck in a loop.
A final build was provided, so development just reached an end point. It didn't stall. I posted in that thread and didn't receive much of a response, but I wasn't offended. There is no limit to who can post there. I'm sure other topics will become relevant in the future in this thread after tone mapping is complete.

If you want to talk about alternative topics in here in the meantime, make a feature suggestion and others will likely discuss it.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 18:12   #51899  |  Link
veggav

I actually learned a lot from this thread and I just recently started participating asking questions and I hope in the feature I could be of any help.

I'm very thankful for the patience people like Asmodian and Warner have with my questions.
veggav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 19:13   #51900  |  Link
pirlouy
_

IMO, madVR deserve a forum, not a thread in order to avoid repeating same thing. I hoped Madshi would create a subforum on his website or he would have his own subforum here or somewhere else, but despite soon-to-be 10 years, it does not look like it will happen. GL with those having patience to repeat themselves.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling