Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 11th August 2008, 17:34   #1  |  Link
jonathonsunshine

Manually Linking 2 Matroska/.MKV files

howdy yall.

Recently I have been doing HD encoding to files bigger than 2gb and have been using "link files" option in MKVMerge GUI and it works awesome, totally seemlessly moving from clip to clip, no audio pops or flash of black frames, it exceeded all my expectations and best of all, if you are watching with something other than the default stream it remembers and you don't have to switch back every time it goes to the next file.

I have been making those files by taking the individual streams and muxing then with the option to split every 1gb and just ticking "link files", I used to split movies at scene changes but with this working so flawlessly I don't bother, I just let MKV split wherever it wants cause its impossible to tell.

Anyhoo, my question is, how can I link files that are already split.

MKVMerge is pretty good at joining files, ALOT better than AVI-Demux, but I have still had some sync issues when I join files using AAC audio, and if you have subtitles in separate files for each clip it doesn't like that at all..

Basically, I would like to take "clip(A).avi" and "clip(A).srt" and mux them together to "clip(A).mkv" and then link it to "clib(B).mkv" .

I have been through the documentation MKVMerge and to the best of my understanding, you need to tell clipA the UID for clipB and clipB the UID for clipA.

I don't see how this is possible, it would seem that you had to know UID for the file BEFORE it was created and MKV (unless I'm blind, which i'll admit is a possibility) does not have an option to preset the UID.

Thanking you in advance.
jonathonsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 18:16   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!
Quote:
Anyhoo, my question is, how can I link files that are already split.
Why can't you just once again use the original (unsplit) file that you previously split?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 18:27   #3  |  Link
jonathonsunshine

I don't have the originals. I didn't make these files.
jonathonsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 18:42   #4  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
I don't have the originals. I didn't make these files.
I can't offer you any further assistance...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
link, matroska, mkv, segment, uid