Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th April 2017, 07:51   #43321  |  Link
Neo-XP

I totally agree with you, but I was comparing chroma doubling, not chroma upscaling.
For chroma upscaling, "NGU AA high" is of course better than Jinc.

That is why I would like to compare them for chroma doubling, and also not being limited to the "low" version of NGU for chroma doubling when using NGU high for luma doubling
Another comparison between the two algos I am stuck with for chroma doubling : http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/206580
Obviously, NGU AA could do wonderful here, and maybe NGU Standard too.

@madshi is there any chance to have a test version with more options for chroma doubling (Jinc AR, NGU AA, NGU Standard, etc.) or in the next version(s) ?
With your sample ( http://madshi.net/chromaTestImage.y4m ), I also find Bicubic60 AR to be more pleasing to look at and more accurate (even if less sharp) : http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/206596

Last edited by Neo-XP; 14th April 2017 at 12:27.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 09:27   #43322  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik G View Post
really?
HDR support?
i must get that update

to the question
dont you have eyes ?
test the different HDR settings and choose the one that looks ok
usually there is only one setting with HDR that looks as it should
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcorbo View Post
That's the best option right now, yes. This doesn't send the metadata from the media file to along to the display, though, as madVR still needs to be updated to support this. For now, you're only going to get your TV's default mapping, which may not look obviously wrong, but probably doesn't look exactly correct either.
Tried with HDR enabled in win and madvr to passthrough HDR content to the display.I get washed out imageDeactivated HDR and back to convert HDR to SDR.... for now.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 14:37   #43323  |  Link
huhn

meta data is not send to the TV so nothing has changed and it can't work properly.

and a working HDR API is nothing new.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 14:38   #43324  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
Tried with HDR enabled in win and madvr to passthrough HDR content to the display.I get washed out imageDeactivated HDR and back to convert HDR to SDR.... for now.
You need to set your TV into HDR mode as well.
Old 14th April 2017, 16:51   #43325  |  Link
Damien147

I get the ''an hdr video is playing'' message from TV (even without hdr source) but that's all.Also ''hdr mode''(read somewhere that it's ''fake'') gets disabled when in pc mode.I guess I'll have to wait.Thank you both though.
Old 14th April 2017, 20:43   #43326  |  Link
Patrik G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
(Deactivated HDR and back to convert HDR to SDR.... for now.
Madvr doesnt do a good job with the tonemapping to non HDR ready tvs.
it still clips highlights.
dark scenes are way to dark with HDR material also.

thats why i asked before about a possible PQ gamma adjuster in madvr
still havnt got an answer to the fucking question

You may better get the Samsung K8500 UHD player
connect an USB Harddrive to it and then you can play all kinds of HDR material with better result.
adjusting details near black is done with the Brightness control on the player
details near white is done with the Contrast setting.

Samsung K8500 sends out everything even to an non hdr redy tv.
it doesnt convert anything.
bt2020 colors
PQ gamma and 10bit video.
you get it all

adjust brightnes and contrast on the players picture mode/user menu and you will have a really amazing HDR image even on an non hdr ready tv.
how good depends on how wide the tvs native colorgamut is and how bright it gets and also how good the 10bit performance is.

Last edited by Patrik G; 14th April 2017 at 20:53.
Patrik G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 22:15   #43327  |  Link
Damien147

It's no biggie for me,just wanted to check if there is PQ change/improvement with HDR(my TV doesn't have real HDR).Good to know though,thanks.
Old 14th April 2017, 23:09   #43328  |  Link
oddball

I have HDR enabled on the creators update and it does indeed trigger HDR mode on my LG OLED TV. But when I play any HDR videos they are washed out and dark. Is there no way to get the video to output at the correct levels?
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 23:28   #43329  |  Link
Andy o

For those mentioning problems with ReClock and the creators update a couple pages back, it's a problem with FSE. Disable that for the moment and clear the clock timings database in ReClock settings.
Old 14th April 2017, 23:32   #43330  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
I have HDR enabled on the creators update and it does indeed trigger HDR mode on my LG OLED TV. But when I play any HDR videos they are washed out and dark. Is there no way to get the video to output at the correct levels?
madVR does not yet support proper HDR output using the new Windows HDR functionality. You'll have to wait for madVR to support this.

I don't know why several people come here expecting it to "just work" without updates to madVR that would add support for this. This is not how software works. New OS features need support in applications before they actually function.

The one thing that *might* work is to NOT use the Windows HDR mode and instead leave Windows in default output mode, and instead toggle your TV into HDR mode manually (assuming madVR is set to HDR pass-through mode), if the TV is smart enough (or dumb enough, depends on perspective, I guess), it might interpret the image as HDR data.
Old 15th April 2017, 00:18   #43331  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Are you running Windows 10? Have you had a chance to see how Creator's Update performs with madVR + ReClock?
My dev PC is running win8.1. My HTPC is running win10, but I haven't installed creator's update yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
Regarding the upcoming HDR metadata support… will we need to watch out for the HDR format "war" when choosing a display for playing HDR content from a PC with madVR? From what I can tell there is HDR10, Dolby Vision and HLG. Which standards do the nVidia/Microsoft APIs support? Will we need to be careful when shopping for TVs? Does it even matter?
AFAIK, both NVidia and MS are supporting HDR10 for a start. Dolby Vision can have a HDR10 "core", so it can be downward compatible to HDR10. I'm not sure if this concept with a HDR10 core will be used by actual real life Dolby Vision content, though. I don't think either NVidia or MS support HLG yet.

Might make sense to at least get a TV which does HDR10 and HLG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
Wow, NGU-high is now better than is was in v0.91.1 (NGU-med)
Glad to hear that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemancave View Post
Also, when you start working on implementing the automatic HDR-mode, please consider making it an option to remove the HDR-flag (so basically what MadVR does today). Owners of JVC projectors want the HDR-data to be stripped in order to get more control over the projector settings. I know this is the opposite of what most users desire, but having this option would be very welcome by the JVC minority.
That sounds kinda weird. I'm not sure if I want to make this part of the GUI. Maybe it could be some undocumented hack option or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
what do you think about NGU quadrupling for chroma?
Chroma subsampling (4:2:2, 4:2:0) is always factor 2x. So what purpose would NGU chroma quadrupling have? Or do you mean when we start with 4:4:4, you want both luma and chroma to be directly quadrupled? That's already done today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
1) NGU Standard seems like a good match for the sharpness of NGU AA, but

2) I really like the Anti-Aliasing capabilities of NGU AA, it makes a very visible difference in some cases for the material I watch (mostly livestreams and youtube videos, which are all fairly heavily compressed). I think a certain level of compression just inherently causes aliasing, and NGU AA does wonders for it (in certain cases), where NGU Standard just looks softer than NGU Sharp.

If anything, I'd kind of like a sharper version of NGU AA if that's possible. I like the crisp edges of NGU Sharp, but unfortunately for the material I watch the crispest edges are the compression artifacts :P
Fair enough, for low quality content. But how about high quality content? Do you prefer NGU Sharp or NGU Standard?

NGU AA is as sharp as it's ever going to be, I believe. Of course it's possible to post-sharpen it, but I don't think doing that will be part of the algorithm. I mean it might be possible to include artificial sharpening as part of the algo, but it probably wouldn't look any better than doing NGU AA first, and then apply post-sharpening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
By the way, do you think you'll be able to make direct quadrupling work for NGU AA?
I don't know yet.

Quote:
When Madvr converts UHD HDR to SDR does it also convert colors from bt2020 to bt709?
It will convert to whatever colorspace you've selected in "this display is already calibrated to [...]". If you have disabled the calibration controls, madVR will by default convert to BT.709.

Quote:
also will there be a setting for adjusting the PQ gamma with HDR material on SDR tvs?
You can enable the gamma controls to do gamma adjustments. That should work for HDR content, too. Or use the media player's "brightness" and "contrast" controls. Those should go through madVR's video processing algorithms, which also indirectly apply gamma adjustments.

Quote:
Madvr doesnt do a good job with the tonemapping to non HDR ready tvs.
The feedback I've received from several industry insiders has been quite different. For example, a couple weeks ago a film maker (advertising business, not Hollywood) asked me to make my HDR -> SDR conversion algorithm available for him, because he wants to grade only in HDR and then get a good SDR master by simply converting the HDR graded master to SDR with my algorithm. He says he's tried every HDR -> SDR algorithm on the market and mine produced by far the best results.

Quote:
it still clips highlights.
That's incorrect. madVR doesn't clip anything, unless you modify the settings in the madVR HDR page.

Quote:
dark scenes are way to dark with HDR material also.
That's incorrect. If you configured the madVR "this display's peak nits" value correctly, then madVR shows dark scenes *EXACTLY* like a true 10.000 nits display would show dark scenes.

Quote:
1) I do not like "NGU Standard" for chroma upscaling (too sharp), and "NGU Sharp" is awful for it (really too sharp and ugly). "NGU Soft" is alright, but "NGU AntiAlias" is better and of course NNEDI is a direct competitor.
Maybe "NGU AntiAlias" could be better in all cases than NNEDI if it was a little more sharp and produced/accentuated a bit less artifacts. But for now, each one have pros and cons...
Do you plan to keep all the NGU variants for chroma upscaling ?
I've not decided yet.

Quote:
2) "NGU Standard" removes dark halos, "NGU AntiAlias" does not. The edges are cleaner with "NGU AntiAlias", because "NGU Standard" seems to produces artifacts on them (probably while removing the halos). Is it not possible to have them both combined in one "NGU Standard AA" algo ? Also, I noticed that "NGU AntiAlias" shifted the image a little, is that normal ?
Your findings are correct. NGU Standard/Sharp/Soft are very similar, just different sharpness levels. NGU AA is totally different. I can't combine them, unfortunately.

Quote:
For luma doubling though they are all good, but if one have to go, it should be "NGU Soft" because "NGU AntiAlias" could be used instead if someone wants a clean result without the sharpness of the classic NGU. "NGU Soft" is too soft.

3) Yes, it is useful at 1 or 2 to soften a bit the razor-sharp edges of "NGU Sharp", even more when using it with "direct quadrupling".
I've implemented "NGU Standard" for the one and only reason to replace "soften edges". But it seems you prefer "NGU Sharp" + "soften edges" over NGU Standard? Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I like NGU AA for chroma a lot. Being able to sharpen chroma aside from SuperRes would be nice, can AS be adapted here?
Possible. But I don't want to make the chroma upscaling settings page any more complicated than it already is. Furthermore, I think it would be more useful to add a dedicated NGU algo for upscaling chroma, making use of the luma channel as guidance, instead of trying to post-sharpen NGU AA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjb2016 View Post
how use "process HDR content by using an external 3DLUT" ?
how build the "external 3DLUT"?
I don't think any 3dlut software supports that yet. I've added the option in case some software wants to add support for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anta777 View Post
It will be soon ?
Sorry, but I don't give ETAs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentclark2003 View Post
Why can't the chroma upscaling algorithm be used beyond the initial conversion to 4:4:4?
Algos like "reconstruction" and "bilateral" make use of the added information in the higher res luma channel. These algos only make sense if the luma channel really does have higher true resolution. Once we're at 4:4:4, luma has the same resolution as chroma. So "reconstruction" and "bilateral" don't have a higher luma res to benefit from, anymore, which renders these algos useless.

Quote:
is there any chance to have a test version with more options for chroma doubling (Jinc AR, NGU AA, NGU Standard, etc.) or in the next version(s) ?
Sorry, but no. Doing test versions like that costs serious development time, and I have so many other things to do, which are likely to bring higher quality gains than those 0.1% improvements we might get from using Jinc AR instead of Bicubic60 for chroma doubling. If I had unlimited development time, such a test version might make sense. But if I have to decide between a) implementing a nice new feature/algo, or b) making a test version which might bring 0.1% quality improvement only 1 user is asking for, I'm going with a).
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2017, 00:49   #43332  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I've implemented "NGU Standard" for the one and only reason to replace "soften edges". But it seems you prefer "NGU Sharp" + "soften edges" over NGU Standard? Why?
Because it look better with good sources, "soften edges" (at 1 or 2, not more) only soften the most sharpen edges produced by "NGU Sharp", but "NGU Standard" applies a whole different process to the image and everything looks softer.

Quote:
Sorry, but no. Doing test versions like that costs serious development time, and I have so many other things to do, which are likely to bring higher quality gains than those 0.1% improvements we might get from using Jinc AR instead of Bicubic60 for chroma doubling. If I had unlimited development time, such a test version might make sense. But if I have to decide between a) implementing a nice new feature/algo, or b) making a test version which might bring 0.1% quality improvement only 1 user is asking for, I'm going with a).
What about NGU AA/Standard for chroma doubling in replacement or in addition to NGU Sharp ? It does not make sense that the "high" quality setting (NGU Sharp low) is worse than the "normal" one (Bicubic60 AR).
Do you have to develop these NGU variants specifically for chroma doubling or could you just add them ?

Last edited by Neo-XP; 15th April 2017 at 10:41.
Old 15th April 2017, 04:22   #43333  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Quote:
The feedback I've received from several industry insiders has been quite different. For example, a couple weeks ago a film maker (advertising business, not Hollywood) asked me to make my HDR -> SDR conversion algorithm available for him, because he wants to grade only in HDR and then get a good SDR master by simply converting the HDR graded master to SDR with my algorithm. He says he's tried every HDR -> SDR algorithm on the market and mine produced by far the best results.
Any chance your algo will ever be available as a avisynth or vapoursynth plugin?
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2017, 08:49   #43334  |  Link
Cinemancave

Quote:
That sounds kinda weird. I'm not sure if I want to make this part of the GUI. Maybe it could be some undocumented hack option or so.
An undocumented hack would be fine. Otherwise we JVC owners would have to stop updating MadVR in order to keep this (weird) functionality.

A bit more info:When a JVC projector receives the HDR metadata-flag, it locks the projector into an "HDR"-mode that JVC (for some strange reason) has disabled the automatic iris off, which leads to much poorer black levels in low-APL scenes. The only solution so far has been to buy the HDFury Linker (199$) that has a feature to strip HDR-metadata. Hence, the projector still receives HDR but isn't locked into the "HDR"mode, which brings back the dynamic iris. This has a huge impact on black levels, and is currently the go-to solution for watching HDR on these projectors.

It would be awesome if MadVR could do this so that we can get the same results without having to involve the HDFury Linker. A simple hack would be welcome
Cinemancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2017, 10:17   #43335  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Because it look better with good sources, "soften edges" (at 1 or 2, not more) only soften the most sharpen edges produced by "NGU Sharp", but "NGU Standard" applies a whole different process to the image and everything looks softer.
Oh well. How about we drop NGU Soft, and instead add a new preset in between NGU Sharp and NGU Standard? Would that allow us to remove "soften edges"? Do you have a good sample image where the different between the "whole different process" is extremely obvious?

Quote:
What about NGU AA/Standard for chroma doubling in replacement or in addition to NGU Sharp ? It does not make sense that the "high" quality setting (NGU Sharp low) is worse than the "normal" one (Bicubic60 AR).
You can't judge these things with just one sample, especially not if the difference isn't really all that big. With really HQ sources NGU Sharp chroma doubling looks clearly better than Bicubic60 AR. E.g. try the well known Clown image.

Quote:
Do you have to develop these NGU variants specifically for chroma doubling or could you just add them ?
I don't have to develop them speficially for chroma, but I also can't "just add them", because the chroma doubling option does not list any algorithms at all. I would have to change the logic of the chroma doubling option to list specific algorithms instead of "low, medium, high" quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-the-STORM View Post
Any chance your algo will ever be available as a avisynth or vapoursynth plugin?
Actually, there will be a new product available pretty soon, making most of the madVR algos available to avi/vapoursynth users. There will be a "pro" version of this new product and a free version. The free version will have some limitions, which will hopefully not be too dramatic, but motivate real "pro" users/companies to buy the pro version. This is all I can say about this for now. More details to be announced later.
Old 15th April 2017, 10:30   #43336  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Chroma subsampling (4:2:2, 4:2:0) is always factor 2x. So what purpose would NGU chroma quadrupling have? Or do you mean when we start with 4:4:4, you want both luma and chroma to be directly quadrupled? That's already done today.
No, I meant something like this (for 720p->1080p):
Chroma > NGU Standard (low) 4x
Luma > NGU Standard (high)
Image < Bicubic150 AR
Old 15th April 2017, 10:37   #43337  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
No, I meant something like this (for 720p->1080p):
Chroma > NGU Standard (low) 4x
Luma > NGU Standard (high)
Image < Bicubic150 AR
I see. Yes, in theory that would be possible. However, in the long run the plan is to create an NGU chroma upscaling algo which makes use of the higher res luma channel. Since the luma channel is always max 2x as large as the chroma channel, this kind of algo will have to be 2x, too. This new kind of algo will hopefully beat all other algos, so I hope it will be the default algo at some point in the future. Because of this reason I'm not too fond of the idea of spending a lot of time now to implement a combination of chroma quadrupling + image doubling, although it is a nice concept.
Old 15th April 2017, 11:19   #43338  |  Link
Selur

Quote:
there will be a new product available pretty soon, making most of the madVR algos available to avi/vapoursynth users.
Nice!
Old 15th April 2017, 11:41   #43339  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
Oh well. How about we drop NGU Soft, and instead add a new preset in between NGU Sharp and NGU Standard? Would that allow us to remove "soften edges"? Do you have a good sample image where the different between the "whole different process" is extremely obvious?
But it will take you a lot of time to develop another NGU variant just for the sake of removing "soften edges", and there is already too many NGU variants.
So if you "need" to remove it, remove it, just don't waste your time on another NGU variant for this.

You can take this image to test with an upscaling to UHD : https://s15.postimg.org/ro3n1k6qz/original.png
Or here if you don't want to waste time :

NGU Sharp : http://www.mediafire.com/file/aj27g3.../NGU_Sharp.png
NGU Sharp SE2 : http://www.mediafire.com/file/d04aw9..._Sharp_SE2.png
NGU Standard : http://www.mediafire.com/file/wacasf...U_Standard.png

Quote:
You can't judge these things with just one sample, especially not if the difference isn't really all that big. With really HQ sources NGU Sharp chroma doubling looks clearly better than Bicubic60 AR. E.g. try the well known Clown image.
The Clown image is not representative of the content I use, which is mostly FHD HQ films for UHD upscaling.
On already sharp content, NGU Sharp (low) for chroma doubling is too sharp and quite nasty (see http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/206580 and http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/206596).

Quote:
I don't have to develop them speficially for chroma, but I also can't "just add them", because the chroma doubling option does not list any algorithms at all. I would have to change the logic of the chroma doubling option to list specific algorithms instead of "low, medium, high" quality.
Maybe the chroma doubling drop-down list should also lists algorithms with their names, preceded by the quality.

For instance, if I choose "high" for luma doubling, I would have this for chroma doubling :

- let madVR decide
- low (Bicubic60 AR)
- normal (Jinc AR)
- high (NGU AA low)
- high (NGU Standard low)
- high (NGU Sharp low)
- very high (NGU AA medium)
- very high (NGU Standard medium)
- very high (NGU Sharp medium)

or any other combinations of algorithms that you find adequate to use...
At the moment, new users do not even know which algorithm is used for chroma doubling without displaying the stats.

For fun, I tested Bicubic60 AR against Jinc AR : http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/206712
It is not difficult to see the red gradient lines/blocks with Bicubic60 AR, while Jinc AR is smoother and has the highest quality.

Quote:
Actually, there will be a new product available pretty soon, making most of the madVR algos available to avi/vapoursynth users. There will be a "pro" version of this new product and a free version. The free version will have some limitions, which will hopefully not be too dramatic, but motivate real "pro" users/companies to buy the pro version. This is all I can say about this for now. More details to be announced later.
If there is one day a "pro" version of madVR with less limitations, all algorithms available and more options, I'm in !
Maybe it is your goal to remove/limit things now from madVR in order propose them back in a "pro" version, so the actual version will remain free ?

Last edited by Neo-XP; 15th April 2017 at 14:31.
Old 15th April 2017, 12:05   #43340  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Now I need your FEEDBACK, once again:

1) Do you like the new "NGU Standard" and "NGU Soft" variants? Personally, I like "NGU Standard" a lot. But I think "NGU Soft" is too soft to be useful, and I'd like to remove it again. But since I spent a lot of time creating it, I thought I'd let you test it, at least.

2) Does "NGU Standard" work better for (non-aliased) low quality content now? Or do we still have to use NGU AA for that? Ideally I hope that we can now use "NGU Sharp" for high quality soures, "NGU Standard" for low quality (but aliasing free) sources, and "NGU AntiAlias" only for aliased sources. Is that reasonable? Or is "NGU AA" still the best option for any low quality sources, aliasing free or not?

3) I want to remove the "Soften Edges" option, because "NGU Standard" was made to replace it. Any objections?

4) With all the changes in this build, I feel that "double twice" is no longer needed. "direct quadrupling" should now always be identical or superior in quality and much faster. So I would like to remove "double twice". Any objections?
1) I like NGU Standard very much. It provides pretty natural look, quite sharp in the same time and without excessive line thinning. [EDIT: Agreed that NGU Soft looks unnecessary.] The only benefit of NGU Soft over NGU AA is removing of dark halo in some cases.

2) Should notice that "low quality content" includes content with very different quality flaws. For example, low quality sources may contain staircase noise, which is less amplified by NGU AA. In other hand, NGU Standard is immune to dark halos. However, in general NGU AA looks more suitable at least for very low-quality content, it brings uniform and natural-looking picture.

3,4) No sir!

Quote:
However, in the long run the plan is to create an NGU chroma upscaling algo which makes use of the higher res luma channel. <...> This new kind of algo will hopefully beat all other algos, so I hope it will be the default algo at some point in the future.
Reconstruction at the price of NGU would have been wonderful.

Last edited by cork_OS; 15th April 2017 at 12:24.
cork_OS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling