Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 20th December 2014, 04:51   #1  |  Link
Atlantis

Convert subtitle file to AVI

Is there a way to directly convert sub or sup files to AVI? I mean a video file that has the subtitles and a transparency channel?

The goal is to later load this subtitle video into premiere and link it to the original video. When the original video is edited, the subtitles are edited and moved correctly.
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 18:08   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

It's been MANY years since I've dealt with .AVIs, but if I remember correctly, I believe you can accomp0lish this by using VirtualDub...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2014, 18:02   #3  |  Link
setarip_old

@Atlantis

Just curious to know if you resolved your problem and whether the use of VirtualDub was any part of your solution...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2014, 20:02   #4  |  Link
mariush

There is an avisynth filter/plugin which loads subtitles and overlays them over some clip. Alternatively, there's Virtualdub plugins like Vobsub which do the same thing.

So you could use Avisynth to create a video using BlankClip function (see examples and description here: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/BlankClip ) and then use a subtitle plugin/filter to overlay the subtitle on that clip. Then load the avisynth script in whatever application you want (virtualdub for example) and compress the video using some lossless codec (lagarith, magicyuv, etc) and you have an .avi file with subtitles.

But anyway... after editing, you're still going to have to do the reverse, right? Are you going to do OCR on the edited subtitle to get your new subtitle? It would make more sense to use some code instead of actual subtitle text (like subtitle line number or something like a barcode or something you could feed to a small script and process the new subtitle automatically).. you have various functions in Avisynth which would allow you to do that.
mariush is offline   Reply With Quote