Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 12th December 2011, 10:52   #541  |  Link
Brazil2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post

LameXP v4.04 Alpha-8:
* Updated LAME encoder to v3.99.2 Final (2011-11-18), compiled with ICL 12.1.7 and MSVC 10.0 (details)
FYI LAME v3.99.3 is out since 2011-11-26:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lame...ar.gz/download
Brazil2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 11:13   #542  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazil2 View Post
FYI LAME v3.99.3 is out since 2011-11-26:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lame...ar.gz/download
Compared to 3.99.2 there only was one minor fix that doesn't effect LameXP.
Quote:
LAME 3.99.3 November 26 2011
Fix for tracker item [ 3441349 ] --tg does not handle genre number when adding unicode tag
(LameXP doesn't pass genres by number)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 12th December 2011 at 17:04.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 22:52   #543  |  Link
Reimar

Quote:
@Reimar:
Yes, the BOM symbol in UTF-8 does not serve to indicate the Byte Order (there is no Byte Order in single-byte sequences, yes) and it's optional. Still it's a valid character and often present.
Yes, I was slightly off, it is not invalid it just is "not recommended".

Quote:
In the other case, when there is no UTF-8 BOM present, the text may still be valid UTF-8. But it maybe "some" local 8-Bit codepage just as well. It may not even be encoded in the Windows ANSI Codepage that happens to be configured on the individual computer. For all these reasons, if no UTF-8 BOM is found, LameXP will now pop up a small dialog, allowing the user to select the desired Codepage.
Yes, that is a sensible solution. However the chances that a string containing a character of value > 127 parses as UTF-8 but is not UTF-8 is almost as negligible as the chances that something starting with UTF-8 BOM code is not UTF-8, since UTF-8 is a rather inefficient and wasteful encoding. (the first byte of value > 127 - which must at least have a value of 247 IIRC - indicates how many following bytes start with the bit pattern 10 - you'll have a hard time finding a word in any language in any encoding - except UTF-8 of course - that happens to conform to this).
For purely random data you should reach the same confidence as a UTF-16 BOM at about 8 bytes > 127 and the same as UTF-8 BOM at about 12.
But enough side-tracking, I'll shut up now and let you all get back to the topic.
Reimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 01:27   #544  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimar View Post
Yes, I was slightly off, it is not invalid it just is "not recommended".
Well, at least on Windows, having an UTF-8 BOM is quite common. For example, the Windows Notepad does add a BOM to UFT-8 files. Winamp does add it to .m3u8 playlists as well.

Last but not least, Notepad++ supports normal "UTF-8" (that is with BOM) and "UTF-8 without BOB" (aka "ANSI as UTF-8").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimar View Post
Yes, that is a sensible solution. However the chances that a string containing a character of value > 127 parses as UTF-8 but is not UTF-8 is almost as negligible as the chances that something starting with UTF-8 BOM code is not UTF-8, since UTF-8 is a rather inefficient and wasteful encoding. (the first byte of value > 127 - which must at least have a value of 247 IIRC - indicates how many following bytes start with the bit pattern 10 - you'll have a hard time finding a word in any language in any encoding - except UTF-8 of course - that happens to conform to this).
For purely random data you should reach the same confidence as a UTF-16 BOM at about 8 bytes > 127 and the same as UTF-8 BOM at about 12.
But enough side-tracking, I'll shut up now and let you all get back to the topic.
Deciding whether something will decode as valid UTF-8 or not isn't that trivial tough. Especially as I'm not planning to reinvent the wheel and implement my own UTF-8 decoder. Instead I just select the desired QTextCodec class and let it do its job. Also, as far as I understand, UTF-8 was designed in a way to allow for easy resynchronization after "invalid" or "missing" bytes. So decoding errors at one point don't necessarily mean that the rest can't be valid UTF-8...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 13th December 2011 at 02:37.
Old 14th December 2011, 19:13   #545  |  Link
ToMaZz

m4a extension for audio files

Hello again,

Is there any possibility to have .m4a extensions instead of .mp4 with NeroAAC codec?
It is painfull because iTunes and some other apps treats mp4 as video file, so for example I cannot change cover for it like for m4a.

As a workaround I'm using some files renamer after every encoding with great LameXP.
ToMaZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 19:56   #546  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMaZz View Post
Hello again,
Hello again... This is your first post on the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMaZz View Post
Is there any possibility to have .m4a extensions instead of .mp4 with NeroAAC codec?
LoRd_MuldeR has made it quite clear in the past that he wont do this
Old 14th December 2011, 21:27   #547  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Please see here:
http://lamexp.git.sourceforge.net/gi...=HEAD#126abc5a

And here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_...ame_extensions
Old 14th December 2011, 22:11   #548  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.04 Alpha-9:

Quote:
Changes between v4.03 and v4.04:
* Added support for the QAAC Encoder, requires QuickTime v7.7.1 or newer (see FAQ doc for details)
* Updated LAME encoder to v3.99.2 Final (2011-11-18), compiled with ICL 12.1.7 and MSVC 10.0 (details)
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.51+ (2011-11-19), compiled with ICL 12.1.6 and MSVC 10.0
* Implemented coalescing of update signals to reduce the CPU usage of the LameXP process (details)
* Run more than four instances in parallel on systems with more than four CPU cores (details)
* Improved handling of different character encodings for Playlist and Cue Sheet import
* Workaround for a bug that causes MediaInfo to not detect the duration of Wave files (64-Bit only)
Added proper support for UTF16 (LE and BE) encodings to the Playlist and Cue Sheet importer.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 17th December 2011 at 18:25.
Old 14th December 2011, 22:51   #549  |  Link
ToMaZz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Hello again... This is your first post on the forum!
It was on some LameXP/author homepage in the past - not on this forum.

Thanks for reply. I see now that mp4 is correct extension.
..but still you can make life easier for users of LameXP by adding option of using incorrect m4a extension instead.
After weeks of using file renamer (allways after encoding) it is more and more irritating and painfull to do it manualy again.. and again.. and so on.

Last edited by ToMaZz; 15th December 2011 at 09:27.
ToMaZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2011, 18:25   #550  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.04 Alpha-10

Added Chinese translation:

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 20th December 2011 at 18:21.
Old 20th December 2011, 18:24   #551  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.04 Alpha-11:

Quote:
* Added support for the QAAC Encoder, requires QuickTime v7.7.1 or newer (see FAQ doc for details)
* Added Chinese and Taiwanese translations, thanks to 456Vv <123@456vv.com>
* Updated Qt runtime libraries to v4.8.0 (2011-12-15), compiled with MSVC 10.0
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.52 (2011-12-19), compiled with ICL 12.1.6 and MSVC 10.0
* Implemented coalescing of update signals to reduce the CPU usage of the LameXP process (details)
* Run more than four instances in parallel on systems with more than four CPU cores (details)
* Improved handling of different character encodings for Playlist and Cue Sheet import
* Workaround for a bug that causes MediaInfo to not detect the duration of Wave files (64-Bit only)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 24th December 2011 at 16:12.
Old 24th December 2011, 16:14   #552  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.04 Alpha-12:

Quote:
* Added experimental support for dcaenc, created by Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov@gmail.com>
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.52 (2011-12-19), compiled with ICL 12.1.6 and MSVC 10.0

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 29th December 2011 at 16:21.
Old 26th December 2011, 04:08   #553  |  Link
ckmox

@LoRd_MuldeR

how to encode in WavPack? or if their is no option for this can i make this as a request?

and i hope someday that LameXP can accept video inputs too so i do not have to demux the audio from the videos
ckmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 04:22   #554  |  Link
Dogway

I just realised (out of necessity I guess), could you add an "exit program when finished" just like the shutdown checkbox?
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 15:49   #555  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmox View Post
how to encode in WavPack? or if their is no option for this can i make this as a request?
WavePack output is not supported yet, only input.

Didn't see much use for WavPack output, because FLAC provides very similar compression ratio and has much better support in both, hardware and software players.

It's more like a niche product that you may need to convert from now and then, but most people will/should never want to encode to that format.

(If enough people request WavPack encoding, I will consider adding it. So far, you are the first person though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmox View Post
and i hope someday that LameXP can accept video inputs too so i do not have to demux the audio from the videos
Not really in the scope of LameXP. Nonetheless a "video import" wizard could be implemented, similar to the "Cue sheet import" wizard.

At least for some container formats, such as MP4 (via mp4box) and MKV (via mkvextract).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post
I just realised (out of necessity I guess), could you add an "exit program when finished" just like the shutdown checkbox?
What would be the use-case for this?

I see that when you run a longer encode (with lots of files) you may want to go away (or to bed) and keep the encoding process running.

Then it makes sense to shutdown/hibernate the system, as soon as everything is done - to save power.

But why would you want just the application to exit? What is the benefit? The CPU time and RAM used by LameXP while it's idle is negligible.

Also, if the application will exit on completion, you loose all the log/status information...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 26th December 2011 at 16:39.
Old 26th December 2011, 21:06   #556  |  Link
Dogway

I was downloading some stuff I knew it was going to take longer than the LameXP encoding, so I set a shutdown task at a given time. If it's ok LameXP being forced to exit by windows then don't add it.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 21:31   #557  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

When Windows is initiating a shutdown, it will send a WM_QUERYENDSESSION message followed by a WM_ENDSESSION message to all running applications.

I would assume that Qt processes these messages and closes the application's window (and thus exit the application) in order to allow the system to shutdown gracefully.

But I have not tested this yet. If it turns out that LameXP is blocking the system from shutting down, I will implement some workaround for this...
Old 27th December 2011, 04:32   #558  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
When Windows is initiating a shutdown, it will send a WM_QUERYENDSESSION message followed by a WM_ENDSESSION message to all running applications.

I would assume that Qt processes these messages and closes the application's window (and thus exit the application) in order to allow the system to shutdown gracefully.

But I have not tested this yet. If it turns out that LameXP is blocking the system from shutting down, I will implement some workaround for this...
Update:

LameXP will not block Windows from shutting down, when the main window is showing or when the processing dialog is showing after all files have been processed.

However the processing dialog did block the shutdown when encoding is still in progress. This would be okay, if Windows didn't kill our encoder processes when the shutdown is initiated

It seems that Windows will rigidly kill all processes that have no own GUI window, so our encoder processes have no chance to react. Thus it makes no sense to keep the LameXP main process running.

For this reason I have hacked in a workaround that will force LameXP to quit as soon as possible, if the system is trying to shut down - even when encoding is not yet completed...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 27th December 2011 at 14:40.
Old 29th December 2011, 16:22   #559  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.04 Alpha-13:

Quote:
* Added experimental support for dcaenc, created by Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov@gmail.com>
* Improved LameXP inter-process communication by adding queue support
* Prevent LameXP from blocking a system shutdown (encoding process is aborted, if necessary)
Be aware: Windows will rigorously kill all "console" applications, when the system is preparing to shut down. On Windows XP (and earlier) this also applies to GUI application that have a console attached! This means, if LameXP is running on Windows XP and if it has a console attached (the default with "Beta" builds), then it has no chance to do a final clean-up when the system is shutting down. According to M$, this is "by design" and not a bug! At least Windows 7, and probably also Vista, does not behave like this anymore, so LameXP will always do a proper clean-up on those. Last but not least, all "release" builds of LameXP should not be effected (unless you explicitly run with "--console" option).

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 4th January 2012 at 23:27.
Old 4th January 2012, 23:28   #560  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.04 Alpha-14:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lame...29/2012-01-04/

Quote:
* Added CSV export/import for Meta tags (see context-menu on the "Source Files" tab)
* Improved LameXP inter-process communication by adding queue support
* Prevent LameXP from blocking a system shutdown (encoding process is aborted, if necessary)

The CVS format looks like this:
Code:
POSITION;TITLE;ARTIST;ALBUM;GENRE;YEAR;COMMENT
1;Rausch;Dritte Wahl;Nimm Drei;Punk;1996;Kodiert mit LameXP
2;Greif Ein!;Dritte Wahl;Nimm Drei;Punk;1996;Kodiert mit LameXP
3;Kneif Mich!;Dritte Wahl;Nimm Drei;Punk;1996;Kodiert mit LameXP
4;Militär;Dritte Wahl;Nimm Drei;Punk;1996;Kodiert mit LameXP
5;Alles Vergeht;Dritte Wahl;Nimm Drei;Punk;1996;Kodiert mit LameXP

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 4th January 2012 at 23:37.

Tags
aac, aotuv, flac, lame, lamexp, mp3, mp4, ogg, oggenc, opus, vorbis