Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 26th August 2017, 12:36   #321  |  Link
shekh

Yes, entire "output pixel format" selection is a workaround for VFW codecs. VFW defines no protocol to find out what format codec "wants" as the input.
With updated codecs like x264 I move the format decision to codec itself so there is no need and possibility to repeat this selection in vdub gui.
In theory, I could also do it for the lagarith codec, but in reality I don't want to spend time on it. Btw what is the benefit of lagarith vs utvideo?

Maybe good idea to rename "autoselect" to something less misleading. For me "auto" sounds like "smart choice/do not touch".
Old 26th August 2017, 15:36   #322  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Btw what is the benefit of lagarith vs utvideo?
Well one is much smaller file size where many duplicates (some kind of repeat frame flags).

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 20:55   #323  |  Link
lansing

I ran into another problem, I have an old xvid+mp3 avi file, but the program is reporting as a mpeg4 stream and won't let me cut it with direct stream copy. I'm getting the error "The source video stream uses a compression algorithm which is not compatible with AV files". It works fine with the original Virtualdub.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 21:13   #324  |  Link
shekh

Just press ctrl+o (file->open) and change input driver to AVI. You will get the original direct copy behavior.
Old 30th August 2017, 21:26   #325  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
Just press ctrl+o (file->open) and change input driver to AVI. You will get the original direct copy behavior.
Ok it works now.
Old 3rd September 2017, 02:43   #326  |  Link
angelxesone

Caching Driver uses too much RAM

Hi Shekh..hi all..

Is there an option to the caching input driver to limit the amount of RAM to be used, or maybe how many frames it can cache?

I keep reaching my max RAM when doing full encodes, and seeing "out of memory", "thread not cycling", "stuck when trying to abort" and other errors.

It keeps eating RAM even doing full encodes in batch mode, which if I remember reading somewhere, should disable the caching, CMIIW.

Also, using the caching driver, when opening different video files it shows different max RAM / frames to cache for each video. How is this calculated? My guess is it's about the GOP size or something, I don't really understand how it works, sorry. Sometimes it's as small as 100MB with 50 frames, and the largest I've seen is 6GB with 500 frames on UHD videos (on my 16GB RAM machine).

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've read this thread (albeit speedily) and I cant find an answer to my problem.

BTW I'm doing encodes on a few (old, I know) Windows Server 2008 with 4GB RAM each. And doing 4K UHD encodes is killing the memory after a few minutes.
Right now I'm back using avisynth and it works great on 8bit sources, even UHD ones. When I'm seeing 10bit sources... I'm stuck.
Also with the old Windows Server, compability problems arise when I'm searching for (modern) tools on video encoding. (even using win xp compatible x265 builds)

Thank you for any advice.
angelxesone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 03:12   #327  |  Link
shekh

Actually I also run in trouble with some UHD, and thinking to add this option for max RAM. Currently the limit is based on total physical RAM and there is no way to change it.
It finds the maximum GOP length and assumes twice as much (but not less than 32) as desired cache size. Of course this caching is useless during encoding, but something prevents disabling it, I don't remember. Will look again.
Old 17th September 2017, 22:41   #328  |  Link
shekh

With new version the RAM used by input driver is much smaller. There is option for cache size (default is 0.5 Gb) and an option to disable cache per file.
Also the cache shrinks automatically during encoding operation.

Other news: DIB format support is expanded with P010, P016, v410, Y410, r210, R10k.
Test modes (Tools->Create test video) can create 16-bit color cube etc. Also with alpha.
New internal filter DrawText works with: RGB 8, RGB 16, YUV 8, YUV 16, 4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0, full range, limited range, ...

Changed behavior of preview.
Old (wrong) behavior:
1) during preview the time slider runs ahead of actual displayed frame (+2 frames or something).
2) when you stop preview, the displayed frame would catch up the timeline (therefore it never stopped where I wanted).
Now it is all nice.
Old 18th September 2017, 07:40   #329  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Optimization is always useful.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 23:26   #330  |  Link
angelxesone

Thank you so much shekh for the caching driver update..
it works perfectly now, no more memory problems on UHD encodes..
angelxesone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 17:48   #331  |  Link
lansing

I tried to frameserve a video in vd, I followed the instruction and installed the 64 bit version dll with the frameserver64.reg, I saved the frameserver file as avi. But the only program that can load the avi file is another instance of the vd filtermod itself, I couldn't open it with other programs.
Old 21st September 2017, 18:16   #332  |  Link
shekh

I had same experience some time ago (with original VD). Also tried vfapi codec.
The target application must use avifile api or at least vfw api. I don't know the list of programs that support it. After effects: no. Vegas: no.
I even thought to ditch frameserving support alltogether, but it seems there is still some way to use it (from VD to Avisynth?)
Old 21st September 2017, 18:22   #333  |  Link
stax76

in case somebody interested in frameserving from VD to staxrip:

https://github.com/stax76/staxrip/is...ment-299569068
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 02:42   #334  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
I had same experience some time ago (with original VD). Also tried vfapi codec.
The target application must use avifile api or at least vfw api. I don't know the list of programs that support it. After effects: no. Vegas: no.
I even thought to ditch frameserving support alltogether, but it seems there is still some way to use it (from VD to Avisynth?)
After more testings, the 32 bit version of avisynth+ and vapoursynth also works, don't know why the 64 bit doesn't.
Old 25th September 2017, 05:04   #335  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
After more testings, the 32 bit version of avisynth+ and vapoursynth also works, don't know why the 64 bit doesn't.
Just tried, all works through VapourSynth.
Check your setup procedures (in any order):
1) apply frameserver64.reg
2) copy vdremote64.dll, vdsvrlnk64.dll to system32
3) copy vdremote.dll, vdsvrlnk.dll to syswow64

Step 3 seems already ok for you but 1&2 maybe failed.
You should perform procedures using win64 compatible software. To be sure, try with explorer.
Old 25th September 2017, 07:31   #336  |  Link
lansing

Ok I figured out my problem, it was caused by the teracopy program I use not copying the file to the system32 folder and giving me wrong feedback about the file existed in the folder already. Now both vapousynth and avs+ 64 bit version works.
Old 7th October 2017, 21:17   #337  |  Link
lansing

The "filter chain" in capture mode seems to be broken for a long time. I tried to brighten the shadow part of my webcam capture by raising gamma, but there's no gamma slider in the "levels" setting, then I tried to do it with the gamma on the vd's levels filter, but the filter chain doesn't work...
Old 7th October 2017, 21:47   #338  |  Link
shekh

Are you sure it is different from the original? It works for me, but for some reason I have to
* enable filter
* enable filter chain
* enable preview mode
* set preview acceleration to "something progressive"

I don't know why it is so difficult
Old 7th October 2017, 22:33   #339  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Are you sure it is different from the original? It works for me, but for some reason I have to
* enable filter
* enable filter chain
* enable preview mode
* set preview acceleration to "something progressive"

I don't know why it is so difficult
Oh it works. I was setting the video mode to "overlay" the whole time. That solved a long time mystery to me. Thanks.
Old 30th October 2017, 18:26   #340  |  Link
Ben_Nicholls

Been using this for a while. Can safely safely say it is as stable as any other build!
Ben_Nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote