Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 22nd November 2018, 12:54   #1  |  Link
mzso

How many colors do we need to completely cover human vision?

Hello!

I'm curious about this.
The familiar CIE "horseshoe" diagram implies to me that it can be done. Though I have no idea what the x/y axis represent I assume they can't go to negative, or zero.
Color systems clearly can go past the the edge of the "horseshoe" curve. As shown on the image for ProPhoto RGB.
By the looks of it the curve could be contained with a 4-5 corner (color) polygon.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2018, 13:55   #2  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Most humans can discern about 10 millions colors, although there are supposed to be a few that can see in the region of 100 million.

Color vision table, The table about 2/3 the way down the page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_vision

Insects eg some bees and birds, eg humming birds can see in the region of 10 billion colors (some humming birds and bees can see in the Ultra Violet, and eg Rattle Snakes can see in the Infra Red [although not with their eyes, special pits approx where nostrils would be]).

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 22nd November 2018 at 15:36.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2018, 19:13   #3  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Most humans can discern about 10 millions colors, although there are supposed to be a few that can see in the region of 100 million.

Color vision table, The table about 2/3 the way down the page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_vision

Insects eg some bees and birds, eg humming birds can see in the region of 10 billion colors (some humming birds and bees can see in the Ultra Violet, and eg Rattle Snakes can see in the Infra Red [although not with their eyes, special pits approx where nostrils would be]).
Perhaps. But it's not really relevant. By mixing three colors we can cover the majority of human perception, as shown by the triangles on the picture.
Old 22nd November 2018, 22:33   #4  |  Link
huhn

the number of colors is irrelevant it's more about the max wavelengths.the answer to the number of colors would be 3 because the x/y can be negative check out XYZ.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2018, 23:07   #5  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Perhaps. But it's not really relevant. By mixing three colors we can cover the majority of human perception, as shown by the triangles on the picture.
I think you're going to have to be a lot more rigorous about this question if you want a meaningful answer. Rigorously define what you mean by color and coverage, just for starters.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2018, 23:50   #6  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:

I'm curious about this.
The familiar CIE "horseshoe" diagram implies to me that it can be done. Though I have no idea what the x/y axis represent I assume they can't go to negative, or zero.
Color systems clearly can go past the the edge of the "horseshoe" curve. As shown on the image for ProPhoto RGB.
By the looks of it the curve could be contained with a 4-5 corner (color) polygon.
If you're referring to the CIE chromacity diagram, ProPhoto does not have complete coverage

But yes , it can be completely covered and exceeded, by ACES for example . It has been used in actual production workflows for a few years now .

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...olorspaces.svg

Open Source tools like Natron can handle ACES with opencolorIO, and blender has limited support too
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2018, 01:38   #7  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
I think you're going to have to be a lot more rigorous about this question if you want a meaningful answer. Rigorously define what you mean by color and coverage, just for starters.
Well, I thought I did that particularly with the picture, where triangles are drawn for different colorspace that don't completely cover the area that represents human vision.

Anyway. What I meant was how many wavelengths/frequencies of colors (instead of RGB) to be mixed. (in a pixel for example)
Old 23rd November 2018, 01:40   #8  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
the number of colors is irrelevant it's more about the max wavelengths.the answer to the number of colors would be 3 because the x/y can be negative check out XYZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
If you're referring to the CIE chromacity diagram, ProPhoto does not have complete coverage

But yes , it can be completely covered and exceeded, by ACES for example . It has been used in actual production workflows for a few years now .

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...olorspaces.svg

Open Source tools like Natron can handle ACES with opencolorIO, and blender has limited support too
Ah, cool. Good to know.
What wavelength colors does it use? Is it still RGB? (And only more bits are required)

(Hopefully someone will update the more used image file I got from wikipedia with this colorspace)

Last edited by mzso; 23rd November 2018 at 01:51.
Old 23rd November 2018, 02:34   #9  |  Link
huhn

there is again no answer to the bit deep question.
even 1 bit is enough if the resolution(of cause the get totally out of hands with 1 bit but not with 6 bit) is high enough and brightness has an effect on the needed bit deep too and here starts the next question what is the "maximum brightness".

XYZ is not RGB based as far as i know; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIE_19...E1931_rgxy.png
Old 23rd November 2018, 03:10   #10  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Ah, cool. Good to know.
What wavelength colors does it use? Is it still RGB? (And only more bits are required)

(Hopefully someone will update the more used image file I got from wikipedia with this colorspace)
ACES is RGB based.

Typically 16bit half float , or 32bit full float are used . I don't know if there is a "minimum" value, but I've never seen anything ACES related below 16bit half float.

Even though the values are represented by ACES , no current display will show all of them (ie. no current display has full ACES coverage) . So right now it's just used in acquisition and post production workflows, not for end delivery

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academ...ncoding_System
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2018, 13:16   #11  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
there is again no answer to the bit deep question.
even 1 bit is enough if the resolution(of cause the get totally out of hands with 1 bit but not with 6 bit) is high enough and brightness has an effect on the needed bit deep too and here starts the next question what is the "maximum brightness".

XYZ is not RGB based as far as i know; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIE_19...E1931_rgxy.png
I don't think dithering to simulate brightness levels is strictly relevant to this though.
Old 23rd November 2018, 13:31   #12  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

I think when asking how many bits are required, it is safe to assume that low resolution is implied (e.g. just two big pixels next to each other).
Old 23rd November 2018, 18:49   #13  |  Link
huhn

and again no answer to that how is the light distributed gamma, PQ, linear or some new form, how is it powered does it need processing before.
Old 25th November 2018, 04:12   #14  |  Link
Asmodian

The deeper you try to understand how human vision works, especially color vision, the more "it depends" comes up. :/

The Royal Institution, The Physics and Psychology of Colour - with Andrew Hanson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af78RPi6ayE
Old 25th November 2018, 08:36   #15  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
What I meant was how many wavelengths/frequencies of colors (instead of RGB) to be mixed. (in a pixel for example)
JFYI, The electro magnetic spectrum is a continuum.

Continuum
Noun: continuum (continua, continuums)
A continuous nonspatial whole or extent or succession in which no part or portion is distinct or distinguishable from adjacent parts.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 25th November 2018 at 09:20.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2018, 23:16   #16  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
JFYI, The electro magnetic spectrum is a continuum.

Continuum
Noun: continuum (continua, continuums)
A continuous nonspatial whole or extent or succession in which no part or portion is distinct or distinguishable from adjacent parts.
True. But human vision is not equipped to discern arbitrary frequencies. It can be (apparently completely) fooled by three colors of a particular frequency.
Old 26th November 2018, 03:33   #17  |  Link
huhn

the AVG human as 3 cones and the brain and some cells uses a lot of math to do the "rest".
Old 26th November 2018, 18:59   #18  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
True. But human vision is not equipped to discern arbitrary frequencies. It can be (apparently completely) fooled by three colors of a particular frequency.
Not completely, and certainly not by using the peak cone response frequencies. And practicalities mean that the typical colours used in displays are a compromise. You can't replicate the deep violets you see in a sunset on a typical RGB display, for example.
Old 26th November 2018, 20:39   #19  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhorman View Post
Not completely, .
Well, that's not what the triangle for the ACES colorspace suggests. (Image linked above)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhorman View Post
And practicalities mean that the typical colours used in displays are a compromise. You can't replicate the deep violets you see in a sunset on a typical RGB display, for example.
This is of course true, for the time being.
Old 27th November 2018, 00:19   #20  |  Link
Asmodian

Lasers are great for exploring the limits of color vision, you can get a lot of pure colors that you cannot represent with any normal display (or normal objects). You don't usually see yellows or blues that color. A 473 nm laser is a cyan that is way outside what a normal display can do. It looks weird.