Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 1st May 2012, 17:01   #781  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
The DLL search order on Windows is as follows:
  1. The directory from which the application loaded, i.e. where the EXE file is located.
  2. The system directory. Use the GetSystemDirectory() function to get the path of this directory.
  3. The 16-bit system directory. There is no function that obtains the path of this directory, but it is searched.
  4. The Windows directory. Use the GetWindowsDirectory() function to get the path of this directory.
  5. The current directory. This can be anything depending on how the application was launched!
  6. The directories that are listed in the PATH environment variable.
The application will load the first "Avisynth.dll" that it will find in any of these directories - in DLL search order.
Quote:
On 64-Bit Windows the "system" directory for 32-Bit applications (the one that would be relevant here) is located at:
C:\Windows\Syswow64

At the same time the "system" directory for 64-Bit applications is located at:
C:\Windows\System32

But to make things even more complex, a 32-Bit application will see "Syswow64" as "System32", unless File System Redirection is disabled...

...Still you may give the Dependency Walker a try, which will show you the DLL that is used. Just be sure to press F7.

Normally you put the Avisynth.DLL into the "System32" folder (or "Syswow64" on 64-Bit Windows) and that's it.

That's also where the installer will install the DLL.

(If the installer says it installed the DLL to "System32", this actually means "Syswow64" on 64-Bit Windows, due to the File System Redirection)
LM you are a treasure-trove of good information today. I have added the above to my "tips" file, thank you very much.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 23:55   #782  |  Link
dado023

templates

hiya,

are there any templates for download, for example template for youtube HD.....you hope you know what i mean
Old 7th May 2012, 00:16   #783  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

No, there are no "pre-built" templates available for download. And you shouldn't need any!

Since x264 has added the Preset/Tuning system, configuring x264 has become straight forward. There are no "secret" options or "magic" values you need to know

If at all, configuring x264 to create a BluRay-compatible stream requires some additional knowledge. But x264bluray has all the info you need for that...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 7th May 2012 at 00:37.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 01:28   #784  |  Link
dado023

thanks for the fast response

since i need to upscale some videos to 1080p, i will have to use avs script, so i have done a bit googling around and found this http://goo.gl/296HY
I wonder what version of avisynth build, for this task, do you prefer on 32bit system on quadcore CPU?
Old 7th May 2012, 01:48   #785  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dado023 View Post
thanks for the fast response

since i need to upscale some videos to 1080p, i will have to use avs script, so i have done a bit googling around and found this http://goo.gl/296HY
I wonder what version of avisynth build, for this task, do you prefer on 32bit system on quadcore CPU?
There is no need to go the Avisynth route, just for resizing. It's possible to use Avisynth, for the task, of course. And the stable Avisynth v2.58 is fine.

But x264's internal resize filter should work just as well here. You can simply add "--video-filter resize:width=1280,height=720,method=spline" to the advanced options!

BTW: Why do you need to upsize at all? Upsizing some SD source video to HD resolution doesn't magically make it "HD quality"

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 7th May 2012 at 01:53.
Old 7th May 2012, 02:50   #786  |  Link
dado023

hey, thanks for the x264 resize info, i didn't know it was built in...now i see in wiki it even has crop

y, i am aware there is no gain in quality when upsizing, but i use it for youtube upload 1080p, so when youtube re-compresses it it gives more bitrate to video, at least that is what i have read in few youtube related threads....
Old 13th May 2012, 21:36   #787  |  Link
hunter_aran

Just an update, I found out by trial and error that certain files are creating the aspect problem so it's nothing to do with this program or the version of x264. I don't understand why some episodes on this dvd have a par of 8:9 while others do not even though they display the same at 4:3. Might be that ITU thing which I don't completely understand yet. Kinda stupid if the dvd uses different PAR on different videos. Anyway, carry on.
hunter_aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 14:29   #788  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hi Lord! I have exactly the same problem as richeerichhh, after a fresh install of Avisynth 2.5.8 (Dec 22, 2008).

Previously, I had two different avisynth.dll files: the one installed with the normal Avisynth installer (I don't remember the exact version number, but it was a v2.5), and another version installed by Format Factory, in its own directory. That second version was registered in my registry, and I think it was used by my scripts. Your program worked very well.

I've decided to uninstall FF and Avisynth, and re-install the latest Avisynth version, to get rid of the multiple avisynth dlls floating around. Since the new install, I have the same error message "Exception in Avisynth initialization code!". As far as I know, there is now only one avisynth.dll on my system. Could it be a bug in the dll?

BTW, can I suggest to print the path of the dll that is being checked to the console?

I'm running Win7 x64.

BTW, I have also another suggestion. Could you add a "Use input folder" checkbox near the output field? Currently, I have to change the path of the output file each time I drop an AVS script on the program's window, and it's a pain (especially when I forget to change the path and I close the window after the encoding process, as I don't know where the 264 file has been saved). Thanks in advance!

Last edited by r0lZ; 14th May 2012 at 14:40.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 14:42   #789  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

First of all, there is no registry entry that tells applications where the Avisynth DLL is located, when using the "native" interface.

The DLL will be located (and loaded) according to the DLL search order:
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...&postcount=776

(Things would be different if we were talking about a COM/ActiveX DLL, like DirectShow filters. But that's not the case here!)

However there is a registry entry to indicate the path of the Avisynth Plugin's directory! And this one indeed might have changed on your system recently.

If Avisynth causes an unhandled exception during initialization, it means that Avisynth (or more likely one of the various Plugin DLL's!) has a bug.

Either that, or my application is calling the Avisynth DLL in an invalid way that triggers the crash. But it works fine for me. With Avisynth 2.58, on Windows 7 (x64).

Also my code to load the Avisynth DLL and check the version number (that's all I do!) was borrowed from x264's Avisynth input module

I suspect it's some buggy Plugin DLL (or some DLL loaded by one of the Plugin DLL's) that causes the trouble! Certainly wouldn't be the first time...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 14th May 2012 at 14:48.
Old 14th May 2012, 17:06   #790  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
I suspect it's some buggy Plugin DLL (or some DLL loaded by one of the Plugin DLL's) that causes the trouble! Certainly wouldn't be the first time...
Right! I've found the culprit: ffavisynth. More precisely, if I remove ffavisynth.avsi, there is no crash any more. That script contains only:
Code:
Load_Stdcall_Plugin("ffavisynth.dll")
I still don't know if it's the ffavisynth.dll that causes the crash, or the way it is loaded by the avsi, but the problem is solved. Thanks for your tips!

BTW, will you consider my suggestion to add the "Use input folder" checkbox?
Old 14th May 2012, 18:03   #791  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Right! I've found the culprit: ffavisynth.
Why I am not surprised?

Quote:
BTW, will you consider my suggestion to add the "Use input folder" checkbox?
Normally the x264 Launcher will remember the last "save to" directory. I think that should work fine for most users!

But I see that it won't work if you encode from AVS files located in different directories each time and always want to save the output file in the same directory as the corresponding source.

Will consider adding an option for this purpose...
Old 14th May 2012, 20:14   #792  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
But I see that it won't work if you encode from AVS files located in different directories each time and always want to save the output file in the same directory as the corresponding source.

Will consider adding an option for this purpose...
It's exactly what I am doing.

Thanks!
Old 14th May 2012, 21:08   #793  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

r0lZ, please try with the new build.
Old 14th May 2012, 22:58   #794  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hum, I see no differences. What change should I test?
Old 14th May 2012, 23:01   #795  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Hum, I see no differences. What change should I test?
I added an option "Save output to the same folder where the source is located", which should be exactly what you requested

(If you can't see that option, make sure you have downloaded build #340)
Old 14th May 2012, 23:07   #796  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Oh, yes, sorry! I've looked for that option in the Add Job dialog.
Anyway, it does exactly what I wanted. Thanks again!
Old 18th May 2012, 21:25   #797  |  Link
wiak

holy monkeys you update this?, thx a million i kinda liked this one
Old 18th May 2012, 22:14   #798  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Another suggestion: can you add an option to fall back to Avisynth 32bit when an avisynth script cannot be rendered with avisynth x64? I have sometimes several encodes in the queue. Most of them are compatible with avisynth x64, but some are not, because they use a 32bit plugin. It is a pity to have to wait for the 64bit batch to complete to launch another batch in x32 mode. (Another way to solve that problem would be to put the x64 option in the New Job dialog, to allow the user to specify it on a per script basis, but personally I think it is better to try the x64 mode anyway. However, I'm not sure you can do it, as currently, when a script fails, the avisynth error is correctly printed to the log, but the launcher concludes that the rendering was successful.)

Also, maybe I haven't looked at the right place, but after having enabled the option to save the log automatically when the job is finished, I can't find it in the destination directory. Is it a bug?
Old 18th May 2012, 22:40   #799  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Another suggestion: can you add an option to fall back to Avisynth 32bit when an avisynth script cannot be rendered with avisynth x64? I have sometimes several encodes in the queue. Most of them are compatible with avisynth x64, but some are not, because they use a 32bit plugin. It is a pity to have to wait for the 64bit batch to complete to launch another batch in x32 mode.
No, that's not possible. If x264 or AVS2YUV fails to open the input, e.g. because the Avisynth script failed to initialize, the GUI cannot know why it failed. In that case it's up to the user to read the error message (from the log) and correct his mistake. In theory the GUI could parse the error message and try to guess the reason for the problem. But a missing plugin will probably result in a "Script error: there is no function named Foobar" message. There are several reasons why a such error could appear. A missing plugin (or 64-Bit Avisynth being unable to load the 32-Bit plugin) is only one possibility out of many. In most cases a simple typo will be the cause of this kind of error...

Quote:
Also, maybe I haven't looked at the right place, but after having enabled the option to save the log automatically when the job is finished, I can't find it in the destination directory. Is it a bug?
Should be located at:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\LoRd_MuldeR\Simple x264 Launcher\logs
Old 18th May 2012, 22:49   #800  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
No, that's not possible. If x264 or AVS2YUV fails to open the input, e.g. because the Avisynth script failed to initialize, the GUI cannot know why it failed. In that case it's up to the user to read the error message (from the log) and correct his mistake. In theory the GUI could parse the error message and try to guess the reason for the problem. But a missing plugin will probably result in a "Script error: there is no function named Foobar" message. There are several reasons why a such error could appear. A missing plugin (or 64-Bit Avisynth being unable to load the 32-Bit plugin) is only one possibility out of many. In most cases a simple typo will be the cause of this kind of error...
I understand. But I suggested that feature as an option, so that, if the x64 version fails, the program could try the x32 version anyway. Of course, that second try may fail too, but it will probably succeed if it's just a x32 plugin problem. Of course, if it fails twice, the user will have to fix the typo normally. At least, it should be possible to render most scripts. (Anyway, I test all my scripts in AvsPmod and with a player before launching the encoding.)

Quote:
Should be located at:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\LoRd_MuldeR\Simple x264 Launcher\logs
Thanks!