Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st July 2022, 12:33   #1  |  Link
rupeshforu3

playing av1 converted media files in android.

Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have android tablet and smartphone, Linux pc. I have downloaded high quality youtube MP4 video files and it's size is upto 60 gb. I have converted these files to av1 codec using ffmpeg and libaom but I can't play these videos in android smartphone or tablet.

Here I am providing huge explanation as it tries to track the exact issue.

I have downloaded some youtube videos and some files are of size upto 60 mb to 100 mb with duration upto 15 minutes. I have converted these files to av1 codec using ffmpeg and used libaom for video, libopus for audio. 100 mb avc video file is converted to av1 of size 24 mb.

Here youtube videos are downloaded in Linux terminal emulator using a program called yt-dlp which is an youtube downloader. This program tries to download original youtube videos uploaded without converting to another video file. Some of the other youtube downloaders are videoder, TubeMate, newpipe, snaptube etc.,.

All YouTube downloaders like videoder TubeMate newpipe snaptube etc first download a video and converts to other video and save the output file which results in the quality loss. But yt-dlp and youtube-dl download youtube videos without converting to another video file.

The input video file provided to ffmpeg tool consists of avc or x264 codec for video and aac codec for audio. I have created a small shell script to convert all avc video files to av1 files. Now if I pass a 100 mb avc video file to this script an av1 video file is generated of size 24 mb.

Here input video file consists of avc or x264 for video and aac codec for audio. The output file converted consists of av1 codec for video and opus for audio.

All the files converted by ffmpeg and libaom are being played in android smartphone or tablet but few others can't especially the splitted ones.

Some of the youtube videos downloaded are of size 1 gb to 1.4 gb with high quality video and audio with duration 3 hours.

I have splitted these large size 1.3 gb avc video file into 8 equal parts using qwinff which is a gui for ffmpeg. I have passed splitted 130 mb to the same ffmpeg script.

All the avc video files converted to av1 files successfully without any errors. Here the issue is the converted output av1 video files are unable to play using vlc media player especially in android smartphone and tablet but they are playing properly in Linux system.

Here upon conversion to av1 there's huge reduction in disk space and audio and video quality are acceptable to me but can't play properly in android devices.

These videos are unable to play means suppose I open any video file I am able to see video with audio and if I move the seek button to say 20 mins then the vlc media player stops video at that time but audio will be running. Here there is no continuous play without any jurk.

I heard that av1 codec has less support in all platforms and in future it may be supported by all devices. I have even enabled full acceleration etc and even no use.

Kindly try to suggest how to play these videos in android smartphone or tablet using vlc media player or any other player. If it's not possible take it easy.

Regards,
Rupesh.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
rupeshforu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2022, 20:39   #2  |  Link
Asmodian

I do not recommend using AV1 for playback on your tablet or smartphone, even if could play them in real-time.

AV1 is not supported by your hardware decoders so it will take a LOT more power to decode, your battery life would be terrible. Likely your devices are not fast enough to decode it with software decoding anyway (it takes a powerful CPU to decode AV1). If your devices are newer use H.265, or if they are older use H.264.
Old 3rd July 2022, 04:02   #3  |  Link
rupeshforu3

May I know which tablet support av1 decoding.

I have seen specs of Lenovo tab m10 and nokia tab T20.

Old 3rd July 2022, 14:02   #4  |  Link
rupeshforu3

Why vlc can't integrate dav1d which is a decoder for av1 codec. Poweramp has integrated ffmpeg into its player.

The current device I am using has a octa core processor with high frequency clock rate. It can do a lot of things.

People with high programming skills can create a game for android device and why can't vlc write a code for playing av1 video files and integrate it into vlc.