Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 13th October 2010, 20:07   #261  |  Link
guth

But if avisynth would deinterlace the entire video before proceeding to the next step, it too would need to store all the deinterlaced frames somewhere. What you're trying to do is theoretically impossible.
guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 20:26   #262  |  Link
loekverhees

And what about storing like 10 or 20 frames only? Deshaker needs to 'know' multiple frames of course in order to smooth the stabilization factor among the frames I guess. But can Deshaker also do this on the fly, so without needing all frames but just 10 or 20 instead? So in other words: how many frames does Deshaker take into account when it is smoothing the displacement corrections for every frame?
loekverhees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 20:35   #263  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by loekverhees View Post
Could someone confirm this behavior of avisynth?
Your interpretation is basically correct.
Quote:
Or is there still another way to accomplish my goals?
As guth says, you need a separate script for each pass, doing the deinterlacing each time.
Gavino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 20:45   #264  |  Link
guth

Quote:
Originally Posted by loekverhees View Post
And what about storing like 10 or 20 frames only? Deshaker needs to 'know' multiple frames of course in order to smooth the stabilization factor among the frames I guess. But can Deshaker also do this on the fly, so without needing all frames but just 10 or 20 instead? So in other words: how many frames does Deshaker take into account when it is smoothing the displacement corrections for every frame?
Deshaker actually takes all frames into account. Of course it would be possible to modify Deshaker and limit the number of lookahead frames. There's just one problem, though... I won't do it.
Old 13th October 2010, 21:10   #265  |  Link
loekverhees

Yes, I understand. I won't ask you to rewrite Deshaker .

I think the firstpass is not part of the 'Filter graph' (see here: http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/The_sc...e_filter_graph , thanks Gavino). That's why it is skipped I guess. It's no option for me to deinterlace the video twice, so I think it's best to render the deinterlaced video and store it phyisically. Then open it in VirtualDub and execute the Deshaker plugin there. Some disadvantages: I have to store the big deinterlaced video and I have one more intermediated video file. I guess I have to live with that .
loekverhees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 04:16   #266  |  Link
Undead Sega

Hi Guth, and everyone here, it's been awhile, I've gotten another shot which I wanted to stabilize but like my previous attempt and going with your suggestions, I cannot get it to deshake. The footage itself isnt that shaky but I want to as smooth as possible. I am ware that the footage may be abit dark and soft, but it is in 1080p50, I have brighten and sharpened it in the hopes that it might improve but no joy

The footage is here itself: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N6WPMO6L

abit large but everything should be there (quality wise). I hope I can get this to be deshaked and I would really appreciate it if anyone can. Look forward hearing back guys
Undead Sega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 21:18   #267  |  Link
guth

The file seems to be "temporarily unavailable" every time I try to download it.
Old 25th May 2011, 22:38   #268  |  Link
Undead Sega

That is very strange, try it now as I am able to download it myself.

EDIT: By the way, the file itself is called 'temp sequence 50p'.
Undead Sega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 20:53   #269  |  Link
guth

Yes, I was able to download it now.

That clip has a few problems:
  • It has very little detail in the background.
  • The detail that is there is mostly blurry because of the rather small depth of field.
  • It's pretty noisy. It's not very easy to see, but there is quite a lot of noise there, which Deshaker likes to see as detail. This wouldn't be a problem if the noise didn't look similar between consecutive frames. But it does. This is either because video cameras tend to use temporal smoothing to get rid of the noise, or because of some sensor problem. And since it does look similar, Deshaker finds matching blocks all the time, incorrectly. This can, however, often be fixed by adding the VirtualDub "smoother" filter before Deshaker pass 1. (Not the "temporal smoother" filter!) You should turn it off for Deshaker pass 2.
  • Deshaker can only stabilize panning, rotation and zoom. But in this clip, the camera moves too (forward, backward, up, down, left, right). That motion will remain unstable.

Here are some settings that work ok. They can probably be finetuned a bit, but I can't do *all* the work for you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip deshaker_settings.zip (506 Bytes, 96 views)
Old 3rd July 2011, 14:56   #270  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Is it possible to determine the frame with the largest borders by checking the log file? I.e. is it always the frame with the largest detected horizontal or vertical pan? This also brings up a feature request: ability to limit the correction by amount of pixels needed for borders
Old 3rd July 2011, 22:33   #271  |  Link
guth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
Is it possible to determine the frame with the largest borders by checking the log file?
There's no easy way of knowing, no.

Quote:
This also brings up a feature request: ability to limit the correction by amount of pixels needed for borders
The max. correction limit settings limit the max. correction (= border size) coming from x-pan, y-pan, rotation and zoom, respectively. If you want to limit the resulting *total* max. border size instead, you can use an edge compensation setting that results in no borders, and then zoom out a little using the extra zoom factor setting. With a little math or experimentation, you can convert your max. border pixels to a zoom factor.
Old 5th July 2011, 20:37   #272  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by guth View Post
The max. correction limit settings limit the max. correction (= border size) coming from x-pan, y-pan, rotation and zoom, respectively. If you want to limit the resulting *total* max. border size instead, you can use an edge compensation setting that results in no borders, and then zoom out a little using the extra zoom factor setting. With a little math or experimentation, you can convert your max. border pixels to a zoom factor.
That's not exactly what I meant I do not wish to do any resampling in Deshaker as there will be also resizing when the video is played on my TV.

I meant that I'm willing to sacrifice "n" pixels of each side throughout the whole long clip so if I could tell Deshaker to do a maximum correction of worth "n" pixels of borders, I could crop off that many pixels from each side and have no borders in the final video.
Old 6th July 2011, 09:20   #273  |  Link
guth

Quote:
That's not exactly what I meant I do not wish to do any resampling in Deshaker as there will be also resizing when the video is played on my TV.

I meant that I'm willing to sacrifice "n" pixels of each side throughout the whole long clip so if I could tell Deshaker to do a maximum correction of worth "n" pixels of borders, I could crop off that many pixels from each side and have no borders in the final video.
Then simply use an edge compensation that results in no borders. And if you for some reason want a smaller video size (to get your cropping effect), just change the destination video size.
The max. correction limit settings affect how much zoom will be added do avoid the borders.

About the resampling, Deshaker will resample once no matter what settings you use. It can't stabilize without doing a resampling. But it will never ever do two resamplings. Using the extra zoom factor setting, for example, or using edge compensation zooming, won't cause another resampling.

Last edited by guth; 6th July 2011 at 09:26.
Old 6th July 2011, 10:29   #274  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Then I'm mistaken as I thought that without edge compensation Deshaker only shifts the image (and does not do any kind of resizing) to stabilize the video. So basically what I'm after is to limit this shift to be max n pixels in one frame horizontally or vertically. Kind of like what DePanStabilize in Avisynth has in parameters dxmax and dymax.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:04   #275  |  Link
guth

Quote:
Then I'm mistaken as I thought that without edge compensation Deshaker only shifts the image (and does not do any kind of resizing) to stabilize the video. So basically what I'm after is to limit this shift to be max n pixels in one frame horizontally or vertically. Kind of like what DePanStabilize in Avisynth has in parameters dxmax and dymax.
Deshaker stabilizes panning (shifting), rotation and zoom. The two latter definitely require resampling. And panning does too unless you always pan in whole pixels. But Deshaker pans in fractions of pixels, so resampling is actually required there too.

You are right that Deshaker doesn't resize the image when you don't use any edge compensation (and also disable zoom stabilization and extra zoom factor and use same destination video size as the source). But "resize" and "resample" aren't the same thing.

Last edited by guth; 6th July 2011 at 11:25.
Old 19th July 2011, 21:52   #276  |  Link
Usa1955

Deshaker works well for me, but how do I increase it's amount dramatically—so almost all camera motion is removed?

In the video I'm trying to sabilize all motion is not wanted and I target a not moving element in a static scene.
Usa1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 07:51   #277  |  Link
guth

You control the smoothness with the motion smoothness parameters. You can even set them to -1 to remove camera motion completely (i.e. let the position be fixed at the position of the first frame). If the video still moves after that it's not because of camera motion, but because Deshaker has problems in the matching process during pass 1.

I'm not sure why you just target a single non moving element. Normally, you get much more reliable output if you target the whole background. Otherwise, especially zoom and rotation probably won't be reliably detected, so you might want to turn off the settings "detect zoom" and "detect rotation" if you must target a single element.

Also, you might want to decrease the value of "discard motion of blocks that move > X pixels in wrong direction", to really ignore everything that moves just a tiny bit.
Old 31st July 2011, 16:26   #278  |  Link
guth

Quote:
I forgot to mention that you obviously *can* make Deshaker only shift the image, if you set motion smoothness for rotation and zoom to 0, edge compensation to "None" and control the max shift with the max. correction limits (in percent). Then, after Deshaker, you crop the borders in VirtualDub.
And if you don't want to degrade the quality of the frames at all, you can set the resampling method to "Nearest neighbor". Then, it will pan in whole pixels. I'm not saying it's a good idea, though.
Old 20th August 2011, 18:14   #279  |  Link
Gargamel

Deshaker v.3.0 on guth's page (2011.08.14).

Look at the list of improvements... A great version.
Thank you, Gunnar !
Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 08:26   #280  |  Link
hiviking

Deshaker Version 3.0 review

A review of Deshaker 3.0 with some tips and tricks is now available at http://deshaker.blogspot.com.
hiviking is offline   Reply With Quote