Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 26th January 2011, 23:10   #101  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Beta-2 is out

This version contains a few minor improvements and completes the "Advanced Options" tab. The "normalization", "resampling" and "bass/treble adjustment" filters should be working now.

Furthermore this version introduces a "true" portable mode, which will keep the configuration (INI file) in the same folder where the EXE file is located.

In order to enable the "portable" mode, simply rename the 'LameXP.exe' to 'LameXP-Portable.exe'. However you have to make sure that the application folder is writable for non-elevated processes!

(Therefore using LameXP with "portable" mode from a location in 'C:\Program Files' or 'C:\Program Files (x86)' will not work correctly on Vista/Win7)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 27th January 2011 at 00:06.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 20:12   #102  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

I'm lovin' it. Great work
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:11   #103  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Beta-3 is out

This version adds shell integration (explorer context menu) + support for additional input formats + ability to import playlist files.

I also created a poll, so people can vote for their favorite UI style now:
http://mulder.brhack.net/temp/style_poll/

(If enough people vote, I will the make the most popular UI style the new default style)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 3rd February 2011 at 20:09.
Old 3rd February 2011, 22:18   #104  |  Link
cengizhan

i like your program but one thing. every time i open the program, in metatag tab i have to change position and comment to (not specified). please do not reset this settings with every run. why are not these settings saved?
cengizhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 22:38   #105  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cengizhan View Post
i like your program but one thing. every time i open the program, in metatag tab i have to change position and comment to (not specified). please do not reset this settings with every run. why are not these settings saved?
I do not reset these settings. I simply do not save their current value on program exit

That's because I consider the "Meta Data" fields as something that you'll have to update (re-enter) for every album/collection you convert anyway. If I would save these information, there is the danger that the user forgets to look at the "Meta Data" tab and thus some old and completely unrelated meta information that were saved from a previous encode long time ago will be embedded...

(BTW: I see you are from Turkey. Would you like to translate the software to Turkish language? ^^)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 4th February 2011 at 00:16.
Old 6th February 2011, 10:32   #106  |  Link
cengizhan

then can you set track field to (not specified) instead of generate from list position? also comment field from encoded with lamexp to blank? Because it overwrites previous comments.

And i can help to translate.
cengizhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 13:04   #107  |  Link
mariush

Mulder, I like the Cleanlooks design, except the dropdown list double arrow thing, which is easily confused with the up-down select thingie. I don't know if you can combine them but if you could it would be great.
mariush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 15:02   #108  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
then can you set track field to (not specified) instead of generate from list position? also comment field from encoded with lamexp to blank? Because it overwrites previous comments.
I'm not planning to change the defaults for "Comment" and "Position" options.

However, in contrast to the other fields in the "Meta Data" tab, it might make sense to save/restore these two fields on program exit/launch.

So that will probably be the way to go...

Quote:
And i can help to translate.
Nice. Then please see the LameXP translator's guide here:
http://mulder.brhack.net/public/doc/...translate.html

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me at any time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariush View Post
Mulder, I like the Cleanlooks design, except the dropdown list double arrow thing, which is easily confused with the up-down select thingie. I don't know if you can combine them but if you could it would be great.
Sorry, that is not possible. The "style" is setup up globally, for the QApplication object. AFAIK you can't change the style for individual widgets (or individual widget classes).

I probably could create my own QStyle class, mixing aspects from QPlastiqueStyle and QCleanlooksStyle, but that's something I'm not currently planning...

(It would probably require digging into a lot of "low level" implementation details of Qt)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 6th February 2011 at 15:14.
Old 6th February 2011, 16:09   #109  |  Link
manolito

Just tried to test the current beta3, but no luck here...

I just get the debug console, CPU load stays at 90%, no other window appears. My system is WinXP SP3 with all current updates. I have full admin rights, and all compatibility options also make no difference. I do have a couple of VC++ redistributables installed (from 2005 to 2008).

Do I need to install some other libraries first? If so, could you provide download links for them?

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 16:20   #110  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
I just get the debug console, CPU load stays at 90%, no other window appears.
It's normal and expected to the see the console window, as the console is enabled by default in all Beta builds (will be disabled by default in the "Final" version).

So what does the console say? At which point it stops proceeding?

And are you sure you aren't in "Mark" mode ("Edit -> Mark" or a simple left-click with QuickEdit enabled) in the console? As long as you are in "Mark" mode, the application will be frozen!

Also: In my experience poor "Anti Virus" software can slow-down the start-up process significantly! It's quite possible that you just have to wait a little longer...

(In my personal experience Avira Antivir is pretty fast, Microsoft Security Essentials is slower but still okay and NOD32 is slow like hell)

Quote:
My system is WinXP SP3 with all current updates.
Windows XP with Service-Pack 3 is one of my test platforms. And I have not experienced any problems so far...

Quote:
I have full admin rights, and all compatibility options also make no difference.
Please keep all compatibility options disabled. LameXP even would refuse to continue with compatibility mode enabled

Quote:
I do have a couple of VC++ redistributables installed (from 2005 to 2008).
Well, that's nice

But the pre-compiled LameXP binaries have been linked against the static MSVCR libraries, so you do not need to install the VC++ Redistributables.

(It certainly doesn't hurt to have them installed, but the pre-compiled LameXP binaries simply won't be effected)

Quote:
Do I need to install some other libraries first? If so, could you provide download links for them?
Nope. The pre-compiled binaries of LameXP are fully self-contained and work "out-of-the-box".

All dependencies have been linked statically for maximum ease of use. Still you might want to verify this with Dependency Walker, if you don't trust me

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 6th February 2011 at 16:34.
Old 6th February 2011, 16:34   #111  |  Link
nitinpushpan

Hi,
Firstly, Thank you for such a nice software. I've been using it for few days and I think it is one of the best audio encoding software. Secondly, I'd like to address an issue that I noticed. I'm not sure whether its only happening to me. I'm using v4.00 Beta-3 (Build 290) on Windows 7 Home Premium (x64). While encoding flac files to AAC using Nero AAC v1.5.4 (Quality level 0.50) I get an error and the log reads as follows:

Quote:
The format of this file is NOT supported:
C:/Users/Nitin/Desktop/The Black Eyed Peas - 01 - The Time (The Dirty Bit).flac

Container Format:
Audio Format:
Now this happened when I disabled the option "Write meta information to encoded files" under the Meta Data tab. I works fine when it the option is enabled.

Keep up the good work!
nitinpushpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 16:39   #112  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinpushpan View Post
Hi,
Firstly, Thank you for such a nice software. I've been using it for few days and I think it is one of the best audio encoding software. Secondly, I'd like to address an issue that I noticed. I'm not sure whether its only happening to me. I'm using v4.00 Beta-3 (Build 290) on Windows 7 Home Premium (x64). While encoding flac files to AAC using Nero AAC v1.5.4 (Quality level 0.50) I get an error and the log reads as follows:

Now this happened when I disabled the option "Write meta information to encoded files" under the Meta Data tab. I works fine when it the option is enabled.

Keep up the good work!
I can reproduce the problem. Thank you for reporting this serious bug! I will look for a fix as soon as possible...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 6th February 2011 at 16:41.
Old 6th February 2011, 18:31   #113  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
I can reproduce the problem. Thank you for reporting this serious bug! I will look for a fix as soon as possible...
A new build is now available via auto-update. This (hopefully) fixes the issue

Can you please test with and without having "write meta tags" enabled? Can you also test with "write meta tags" enabled and having some custom tags specified on the "meta data" tab?

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 6th February 2011 at 19:48.
Old 6th February 2011, 19:02   #114  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
It's normal and expected to the see the console window, as the console is enabled by default in all Beta builds (will be disabled by default in the "Final" version).

So what does the console say? At which point it stops proceeding?
It stops right after the disclaimer. The last words are "ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY". After this there is a blinking cursor, and that's it.

Quote:
And are you sure you aren't in "Mark" mode ("Edit -> Mark" or a simple left-click with QuickEdit enabled) in the console? As long as you are in "Mark" mode, the application will be frozen!
No, I am not in "Mark" mode. I tried each and every console option, no difference.

Quote:
Also: In my experience poor "Anti Virus" software can slow-down the start-up process significantly! It's quite possible that you just have to wait a little longer...

(In my personal experience Avira Antivir is pretty fast, Microsoft Security Essentials is slower but still okay and NOD32 is slow like hell)
I do not have any of the usual resident AV scanners installed, they slow down my system too much. I use ThreatFire, and just to make sure that it is not to blame, I uninstalled it completely. No difference, though...

So far the only other time that a program window just refuses to appear on my system is the Windows version of Devede. It uses the Python GTK library, and it just won't run on my machine. But according to their forum I am not the only one. Maybe the Qt library does not like my system, too.

I should mention that my machine is quite ancient. My graphics card is an ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2x, DX9 is installed, and according to DXDiag everything works without problems.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 19:17   #115  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
It stops right after the disclaimer. The last words are "ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY". After this there is a blinking cursor, and that's it.
Strange

Best solution, of course, would be debugging LameXP on your system. But if you don't know how to do that, I could send you a "special" build with more debugging output.

Maybe we could locate the exact line where it stops responding...

Quote:
I do not have any of the usual resident AV scanners installed, they slow down my system too much. I use ThreatFire, and just to make sure that it is not to blame, I uninstalled it completely. No difference, though...
Indeed I had some trouble with ThreatFire myself.

It injects its own DLL into the address space of any running process, which reproducible caused MSYS to crash for me

I assume you did a clean reboot after uninstalling ThreatFire?

Quote:
So far the only other time that a program window just refuses to appear on my system is the Windows version of Devede. It uses the Python GTK library, and it just won't run on my machine. But according to their forum I am not the only one. Maybe the Qt library does not like my system, too.
Well, GTK+ and Qt both are cross-platform GUI frameworks. But that's it. They are two completely separate projects.

So your problems with Qt- and GTK+-based programs are most likely unrelated. However did you try other Qt-based software on your machine?

For example SMPlayer or Avidemux 2.5?

Also: Did you make a clean "format + re-install" of your system recently? This sometimes works wonders with "unexplainable" Windows bugs

Quote:
I should mention that my machine is quite ancient. My graphics card is an ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2x, DX9 is installed, and according to DXDiag everything works without problems.
Qt fully supports Windows XP and it doesn't need any special 3D hardware. There is some support for OpenGL in Qt, but I don't use that in LameXP.

After all, LameXP works fine even on my Windows 2000 machine, although Windows 2000 is not officially supported by Qt 4.7. It even works under Linux/Wine.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 6th February 2011 at 19:50.
Old 8th February 2011, 01:35   #116  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Build #298 fixes a bug in the CPU detection code that could lead to an infinite loop on some systems. Thanks to manolito for the report!

(Unfortunately people who are effected by this bug will have to update manually, because the application will stall before auto-update gets a chance to run)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 8th February 2011 at 01:42.
Old 10th February 2011, 05:29   #117  |  Link
nitinpushpan

Quote:
A new build is now available via auto-update. This (hopefully) fixes the issue

Can you please test with and without having "write meta tags" enabled? Can you also test with "write meta tags" enabled and having some custom tags specified on the "meta data" tab?

Sorry for the late reply. It works fine now with and without "write meta tags" enabled and with custom tabs specified. I'm using the v4.00 Beta-4, Build 300 [2011-02-09].

I'd like to make 2 suggestions also.
  • It would be nice if the entire tags from the source file got copied to the encoded file (Like the album art, album artist, composer, etc.).
  • I would like to Normalize the files to the peak volume of 0 db please. I'm not sure why you have restricted it to -0.50 db.
Old 10th February 2011, 10:30   #118  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinpushpan View Post
Sorry for the late reply. It works fine now with and without "write meta tags" enabled and with custom tabs specified. I'm using the v4.00 Beta-4, Build 300 [2011-02-09].

Good to know

I'd like to make 2 suggestions also.
  • It would be nice if the entire tags from the source file got copied to the encoded file (Like the album art, album artist, composer, etc.).
  • I would like to Normalize the files to the peak volume of 0 db please. I'm not sure why you have restricted it to -0.50 db.
1. I can only copy (re-embed) tags that (a) MediaInfo retrieves from the original input file and (b) the individual encoder (e.g. LAME) can embed. It seems LAME can embed "album art" (jpeg/png/gif file, 128KB max), but I don't know of an easy way to extract the "art" from the original input. Moreover I never understood why people want to have JPEG/PNG's stored in their audio files, especially when it's the very same picture stored redundantly in all files of the album. Why not simply put the cover image as a separate JPEG/PNG file into the album folder once? I guess this is some kind of useless "iPod" gimmick...

2. Normalization is restricted to -0.5 db in order to protect against clipping. I think pushing the normalization up to the maximum amplitude isn't a good idea.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 10th February 2011 at 12:56.
Old 10th February 2011, 12:50   #119  |  Link
nitinpushpan

I totally agree with you on the iPod gimmick part. Unfortunately this gimmick is now followed by most of the companies. Honestly I really never care for the album art before but now it really bugs me out when I see a stupid headphone symbol or an empty square in my pmp. I usually don't add the entire album to my pmp so I add album art to each of the files. Its like they have enforced something cool which we really never cared for in the first place.

And about Normalization, by definition, applies a constant gain to the selected part or the entire track without exceeding 0.0 dBFS, or 100% (0 dB). For example in Audacity, it analyses the track for the peak amplitude and then applies the normalization filter ensuring that this peak amplitude does not cross 0 dB, hence no clipping.

Last edited by nitinpushpan; 10th February 2011 at 13:11.
Old 10th February 2011, 12:53   #120  |  Link
mariush

Mulder, images should be embedded in an ID3v2 tag, so you should be able to read and write them relatively easily: http://www.id3.org/Developer_Information The link has plenty of information and I think there's even a GPL library that reads and writes id3v2 tags easily so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.
mariush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aac, aotuv, flac, lame, lamexp, mp3, mp4, ogg, oggenc, opus, vorbis