Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th April 2018, 21:15   #50441  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmatterx76 View Post
I only JUST bought this Asus SOAR a couple weeks ago. If this is in fact a defect I should be returning it. It has a shield over it to prevent this sort of thing. (I thought)
I would not assume it is being caused by the sound card, I actually suspect the video card. Coil whine is usually the video card or motherboard but given that it happens when using madVR I suspect the video card. Does it go away if you switch to motherboard audio or swap the video card (if possible)? It can also show up and disappear on its own. I have had both a monitor and video card that eventually stopped whining, but the monitor took months, and it often doesn't ever go away.

Coil whine is very frustrating because it usually only shows up with very specific loads. I have even seen (heard) power supply based coil whine that changed pitch when scrolling the mouse wheel.

People sometimes get some 2-ton epoxy or similar and try to lock down/dampen the chokes enough that they stop whining... with mixed results.

Manufactures rarely accept coil whine as a reason to RMA unless it is really bad, and even then they are sometimes difficult.
Old 27th April 2018, 21:15   #50442  |  Link
Darkmatterx76

OK I tracked it down to the option to reduce compression artifacts. I can change anything else, turn stuff on, but once that 1 setting is off, the noise stops. So is this a real defect in my sound card or just that this 1 option pushes the card past its intended limits?

Also, I might as well ask. I've been using JINC with reduced ringing artifacts. There's other options like the multiple NGU options, DXVA2, Super-xbr, and I believe in the player I can pick CUDA since I have a GTX 1070.

Which options should I use, and if I should use one that has other options like doubling, quadrupling, etc, what settings would be best for my system?

Thanks
Darkmatterx76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2018, 21:18   #50443  |  Link
Darkmatterx76

Well when I changed the "reduce compression artifacts" from High to Medium the pitch of the whine changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I would not assume it is being caused by the sound card, I actually suspect the video card. Coil whine is usually the video card or motherboard but given that it happens when using madVR I suspect the video card. Does it go away if you switch to motherboard audio or swap the video card (if possible)? It can also show up and disappear on its own. I have had both a monitor and video card that eventually stopped whining, but the monitor took months, and it often doesn't ever go away.

Coil whine is very frustrating because it usually only shows up with very specific loads. I have even seen (heard) power supply based coil whine that changed pitch when scrolling the mouse wheel.

People sometimes get some 2-ton epoxy or similar and try to lock down/dampen the chokes enough that they stop whining... with mixed results.

Manufactures rarely accept coil whine as a reason to RMA unless it is really bad, and even then they are sometimes difficult.
Darkmatterx76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2018, 21:20   #50444  |  Link
YxP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmatterx76 View Post
I only JUST bought this Asus SOAR a couple weeks ago. If this is in fact a defect I should be returning it. It has a shield over it to prevent this sort of thing. (I thought)

Will Asus see this as a defect, or a "feature?"

Thanks.
It's annoying and I have it too with my 1060. Try using DX11 decoder in lavfilters and dropping NGU quality to high. Should make a big difference. I also stopped using RCA since it helps a bit. I very much doubt you can return the card, but you're welcome to try.
YxP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2018, 21:32   #50445  |  Link
YxP

I did try to troubleshoot the problem further at one point and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Vrel limit, but I kinda gave up at that point and admitted my loss. I wonder if undervolting would help...
Old 27th April 2018, 22:09   #50446  |  Link
Clown shoes
King of the Jungle

Hey all, I'm having a torrid time trying to get custom resolutions working on my system

I feel like I've tried everything but I always seem to get a frame drop every 4 and a bit minutes.

Is this currently just not possible with the latest Nvidia drivers?

I'm almost ready to give up getting this to work as it's becoming so frustrating
Clown shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2018, 23:42   #50447  |  Link
Asmodian

It isn't quite not possible, at least for one refresh rate, but it is not easy.

I have had a lot of trouble getting Nvidia to actually USE the custom refresh rate with the new drivers... I found that deleting everything out of Nvidia's custom resolutions, effectively disabling that feature in the drivers, and then letting madVR do everything including adding and changing to the custom resolution worked better for me.

Giving up and using smooth motion... is not totally crazy.
Old 28th April 2018, 01:31   #50448  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Coil whine usually occurs with a specific combination of graphic card & PSU as in another PSU might not trigger the whine at all FWIR.

The funny thing with mVR is that upscales made by HDTV channels look totally facepalmic in comparison but then again I know a guy who does encodes for netflix and he's using the same crappy profile for everything in single pass so I guess HDTV technicians don't care any more than he does.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2018, 02:27   #50449  |  Link
YxP

So you are saying you prefer mVR? That's very surprising coming from you! x)
Old 28th April 2018, 03:25   #50450  |  Link
ryrynz

Oh yeah, he loves madVR, always has. What's not to like?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2018, 12:31   #50451  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
With correctly functioning hardware (TV and GPU drivers), it still is.

Are you using an NVIDIA?
With some older driver branch - don't remember which one - I had kind of the same issue you have, with clipping. I had to set the GPU (and TV of course) to Limited to get it fixed permanently but of course you then lose in picture quality.
Is YCbCr the only mode that fixes it on your TV, or does RGB Limited works too?
Do you by any chance have another device to test with?
If you have an NVIDIA, try changing the "Content type reported to the display" setting and see if it changes something. When I had that issue with NVIDIA drivers, changing that option to literally anything else than the one currently selected fixed the problem until the next display resync, at which point I had to change it again.
The problem was then fixed in the following driver branch.

Finally got to bottom of it on my setup - just sharing as it may help others with an Nvidia card and a Samsung SUHD set (using HDR+ and colour space to Native to scale up and out into BT.2020 for SDR content, and HDR+ and colour space Auto for HDR content)

If I set Madvr to full, I have to set Nvidia to 4.4.4 limited and the Samsung to limited to get anywhere close to correct colours, clipping levels and image noise (for both SDR and HDR).

However, the best set up here now (after many hours of testing back and forwards) is

Madvr = Limited TV Levels
GPU = Full RGB, 36bit for 23hz etc, and content type set to full screen videos
Samsung TV = Limited/Low

This may, or may not help others with a similar set up to mine.

K

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 28th April 2018 at 17:05.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2018, 13:46   #50452  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by YxP View Post
So you are saying you prefer mVR? That's very surprising
I'm just very surprised that TV channels still use the crappiest upscaling ever but then again HDtracks & Qobuz do sell some obvious 16/44.1 upsamples to 24/96 for a Premium and not many people complain due to not knowning the 16/44.1 counterparts : http://www.itrax.com/Pages/ArticleDetails.php?aID=32

My point was that mVR keeps evolving and gap becomes larger and larger.
Old 28th April 2018, 16:17   #50453  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I'm just very surprised that TV channels still use the crappiest upscaling ever
Did you try to use Debilinear filter for such upscaled videos?
Old 28th April 2018, 20:34   #50454  |  Link
Sideeffect

When using Windows 10 Spring update 1803, Latest GeForce 397.31 and latest madVR v0.92.14.

Nvidia HDR full screen windowed mode is 8bit only. Doesn't matter if starting from Nvidia RGB Full, 422 10-bit, 420 12-bit or default colour settings.

In fullscreen exclusive mode 10-bit is working starting from Nvidia RGB full using NV HDR.

It's now possible to enable Windows HDR/WCG toggle from display settings when using Nvidia RGB full but this is reported in advanced display settings as RGB 8-bit with dithering and HDR.

When changing colour settings from Nvidia RGB to default. Movies still start in 8-bit with dithering even using OS HDR.

Setting Nvidia 422 10-bit and OS HDR has working full screen windowed 10-bit but full screen exclusive mode doesn't work.

So at the moment I can use RGB Full Nvidia HDR and full screen exclusive and it seems functional but not as easy as before.

Last edited by Sideeffect; 28th April 2018 at 20:42.
Sideeffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2018, 20:35   #50455  |  Link
har3inger

Now that reduce artifacts runs for free with lots of flexibility, are there any plans now to allow different strengths of RCA between luma and chroma? I've generally found that luma channels usually look pretty good, but chroma channels can look like trash on medium quality HD encodes. High values of RCA on chroma only might be able to give a similar effect to bilateral or reconstruction. Would there also be plans to allow RCA to run for free on NGU Standard and Soft?
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2018, 21:18   #50456  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideeffect View Post
Nvidia HDR full screen windowed mode is 8bit only.
Do you ever read the thread before posting?
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2018, 22:52   #50457  |  Link
ntropy

What madVR settings should be used to effectively utilize the 500 nits of brightness on the 2017 iMac's display when playing HDR content? And is video on the iMac 10bit or 8bit?

https://www.apple.com/ca/imac/specs/
ntropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2018, 23:10   #50458  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
Did you try to use Debilinear filter for such upscaled videos?
What's that please? I figured I might as well downscale them before feeding them to mVR somehow.

As much as deringer is set-and-forget and works on anything IME, RCA Medium @1 really destroys PQ on very grainy BD movies

Last edited by leeperry; 28th April 2018 at 23:38.
Old 28th April 2018, 23:42   #50459  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntropy View Post
What madVR settings should be used to effectively utilize the 500 nits of brightness on the 2017 iMac's display when playing HDR content? And is video on the iMac 10bit or 8bit?
I suggest 8bit and “this display is already calibrated” to DCI-P3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
As much as deringer is set-and-forget and works on anything IME, RCA Medium @1 really destroys PQ on very grainy BD movies
I agree, RCA is not set and forget. It should only be used on content suffering from compression artifacts. It is amazing when needed though. I really like it for YouTube content, which is never grainy even if it was meant to be.

I am impressed by how well remove random noise works on grainy content, but of course it does smooth some.

Last edited by Asmodian; 28th April 2018 at 23:50.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2018, 23:56   #50460  |  Link
huhn

debilinear is a downscale filter to create the "orginal" pixel of a image upscaled by bilinear.

there are more than debilinear and you need to select the correct scaling algo and you need to find the original image size to make best use of it.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling