Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd July 2021, 01:12   #1  |  Link
jriker1

Ugh, my ASS subtitles aren't consistent.

I thought when you created ASS subtitles that you were supposed to create a font size that you liked on a certain display, tell the subtitle what size screen it is, and then whatever display the subtitles are on, it adjusts accordingly. So in my brain, if a subtitle line starts at the outer edge of a person's right shoulder and ends at their left shoulder when authored, it should maintain that aspect for any other screen size it's presented on. Is this inaccurate? So for example:

On my 4K TV this is 100 point or pixel not sure what Subtitle EDIT does font bold:

https://ibb.co/3RYNKjw

However when I was in subtitle edit, it looks like this:

https://ibb.co/MBZ08hS

On my laptop set to 1920 x 1080 resolution:

https://ibb.co/XVT0jZb

So playing on my laptop and in Subtitle edit looks "similar" but on my 4k TV looks less "bold" and dimensions are different.

Thoughts?

Last edited by jriker1; 3rd July 2021 at 23:28.
jriker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2021, 06:18   #2  |  Link
RanmaCanada

How are you playing it through your TV? Are you using the TV's built in media player which more than likely won't have the proper font, or are using kodi, plex, emby, etc.
RanmaCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2021, 23:28   #3  |  Link
jriker1

Created links above in case the images vanished before you saw them but Emby on the 4k TV image.
Old 5th July 2021, 03:39   #4  |  Link
RanmaCanada

Ok this should be moved to another sub, in fact it should be asked on the Emby forums instead, but it more than likely is because you are using the embeded Emby app which does not have the proper fonts. If you are going to use styled subs, you either have to burn them in if you are using a native TV app, or don't use the embedded app and use Kodi for Android. Emby native subtitle support is not that great I find and some people have recently been complaining about it on the forums, specifically that sub station alpha subs aren't rendering properly in their "native" apps, which is to be expected.

This has nothing to do with x265.
Old 5th July 2021, 09:02   #5  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

@jriker1,

If you're playing these files on your TV using its in-built media player, it would help if you mentioned its make and model number.

Subtitles support differs quite a bit from one TV manufacture to another!
Old 7th July 2021, 01:12   #6  |  Link
jriker1

Sorry for the lack of detail:

1. This is on a 4k display at least the TV is using the Emby app inside of NVidia Shield Pro 2019.
2. There is nothing special about these subs. They are Arial, 100 point or pixel, bold, with 2 point or pixel black border around them.
Old 7th July 2021, 07:21   #7  |  Link
RanmaCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriker1 View Post
Sorry for the lack of detail:

1. This is on a 4k display at least the TV is using the Emby app inside of NVidia Shield Pro 2019.
2. There is nothing special about these subs. They are Arial, 100 point or pixel, bold, with 2 point or pixel black border around them.
Then you should be asking this on the Emby forums instead as it has nothing to do with x265. It could be an issue with sub scaling, but only Luke et al can tell you for sure if you post there and give them some log files.
Old 7th July 2021, 08:41   #8  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Agreed...