Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 8th August 2013, 00:01   #1  |  Link
thrunk

iPod and Apple TV compatible 6-channel audio (AC-3) with MP4Box

I'm hoping to get help using MP4Box to mux an h.264 video track with both a 2-channel aac audio track and a 6-channel AC-3 audio track so that the output will be compatible for iPod and Apple TV 6-channel audio playback.

I can do this with presets for HandBrake, but I capture with EyeTV software for my Hauppauge HD PVR, and although HandBrake is OK, it still can't do pullup for 60 fps telecined video as well as either the venerable MEncoder or ffmpeg, both of which I frequently use to get the 24 fps detelecined video content I want.

When I use MP4Box with the "-ipod" option, it tells me that it's "Setting up iTunes/iPod file...", and media info tells me that both aac and AC-3 tracks are there, but playback to HDMI from my iPhone still yields 2-channel stereo. The same method of playback for the HandBrake output yields 6 channels.

What I've been doing is to make one conversion with HandBrake to get the audio, then to mux the two audio tracks from that process with a MEncoder detelecined video track. That works, but I don't like the extra step of having to convert twice, then throw away the video track generated by HandBrake, of course.

There seem to be only a couple of possibly significant differences that I can find between the output of HandBrake and MP4Box. One is that the HandBrake output has a media description that the MP4Box output doesn't have: "Writing library:Apple QuickTime". Another is that the HandBrake output AC-3 track is 384 Kbps, and the original capture AC-3 that I add using MP4Box is 448 Kbps.

Can you help? Thanks!
thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 21:57   #2  |  Link
thrunk

I've since tried converting the AC-3 to 384 Kbps first to no avail, in case that makes any difference...
thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6-channel, iphone, ipod, mp4box, mux