Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 6th August 2018, 14:59   #1  |  Link
bradwiggo

Not sure how to stream video to my phone on the go.

My phone has the VLC app on it (it's an iPhone 5S running iOS 11), and I would like to be able to watch videos and movie on this app. The problem is my phone is only 16GB, so I don't have enough space to store them.

I would like to be able to stream them to my phone, including when I am on the go, so streaming over a network isn't an option, unless it is an access point created by something portable. I also don't want to use 4G, as it's expensive.

I was originally planning to use a raspberry pi and set it up as a media centre and as an access point, however, the videos are quite large, average around 10GB for an hour and a half movie, running at 568 by 1280 60fps, and I don't think the Pi can handle this.

Does anybody have any ideas for how I can achieve this?

P.S. If this is the wrong category for this thread, or even the wrong forum site, I apologise, I didn't really know where to ask this question, as it falls under a lot of categories and subjects.
bradwiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 02:12   #2  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Plex is an AWESOME solution.

They have clients for almost every device (including iOS, which I use all the time). The server software also works on a range of hardware, and can do real-time transcoding with x264 on cpu and I think hardware (nvenc etc) as well. Not sure on the last point.
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1080p 60fps, iphone, on the go, streaming, vlc