Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 7th January 2019, 08:12   #28281  |  Link
Blurayhd

Hi all hi Jdobbs I hope you start a good new year and please excuse me english is not my first language but I trying to do my best

So, I have on my collection several movies that I like to make a backup and last weeks I was thinking about encode that backup to MKV 265 10 bit (I check and Bd rebuilder cant do that Iīm wrong?)

Let me explain, for example I have Star Wars , last days I make a backup with Rebuilder

So, when the BD25 was finish, just for see whats happens I tried to encode this BD25 to MKV 265 10 bit with another program and make me a file around 15gb comparing with the almost 22gb of BD25?

This MKV file with 15gb is a perfect copy of my BD25

So I wonder if I keep this MKV file as backup and some time when I need it if I just restored this MKV again to a BD25 Iīll get the same quality that I previously get when I encode the first time?

For example the DTS audio I encode to AAC

Jdobbs I hope dont be Broking any rules, if I do, just let me know dear please I dont any bad intention

Thank you in advance!!

ps: I canīt find in Bd rebuilder this option
Blurayhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 09:32   #28282  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayhd View Post
Hi all hi Jdobbs I hope you start a good new year and please excuse me english is not my first language but I trying to do my best

So, I have on my collection several movies that I like to make a backup and last weeks I was thinking about encode that backup to MKV 265 10 bit (I check and Bd rebuilder cant do that Iīm wrong?)

Let me explain, for example I have Star Wars , last days I make a backup with Rebuilder

So, when the BD25 was finish, just for see whats happens I tried to encode this BD25 to MKV 265 10 bit with another program and make me a file around 15gb comparing with the almost 22gb of BD25?

This MKV file with 15gb is a perfect copy of my BD25

So I wonder if I keep this MKV file as backup and some time when I need it if I just restored this MKV again to a BD25 Iīll get the same quality that I previously get when I encode the first time?

For example the DTS audio I encode to AAC

Jdobbs I hope dont be Broking any rules, if I do, just let me know dear please I dont any bad intention

Thank you in advance!!

ps: I canīt find in Bd rebuilder this option
First of all, you should keep the original Blu-Ray disc in a safe place. This is your master for all subsequent re-encodes.
Secondly, as every re-encode of a re-encode (like your MKV 265 10 bit) introduces new losses and artefacts (they might be small though), it is not recommended to keep a re-encode of a re-encode as a master or archival copy.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 19:28   #28283  |  Link
jfcarbel
Programmer

Upgraded version and want to ensure I refresh/update as its been some time since I updated anything.
Are these settings still valid?

1) Nero AAC:
Just upgraded version and noticed I had in INI file a path to Nero AAC encoder as set below:
NEROAAC=1
NeroAACPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\NeroAACCodec_v1.5.4\neroAacEnc.exe
Is Nero still the best for quality and recommended? I ask because that was the recommendation many years ago, but I assume the FAAC project has improved.

2) FFSHOW version:
Noticed I am running an very old version at 3382 and looks like for some time 4504 is recommended version.
Should I install new version and will installer move over any custom settings I had in prior version?

3) Multiprocessor settings:
Also noticed using this setting as I have a Intel 6 core CPU and 16GB RAM
MULTIPROCESS=4
Are most folks with multi core using this setting? I have not had any issues with it and been using for some time now.

4) Encode Quality settings
Noticed I switched off auth and set to High Quality Default (ENCODE_QUALITY=2)
And One Pass ABR (ONEPASS_ENCODING=2)
Should I continue using one pass ABR or is CRF now what most use? I understand if I uncheck one pass the output target might be more accurate but it takes more time. Is 2 pass almost double what one pass encoding time takes?

5) Tool versions
noticed am using AVISYNTH Version: 2.5.8.0 and HAALI Splitter: 1.9.42.1
Will update to AVIsynth to latest. But is the version of Splitter the latest, could not tell as readme file does not indicate version that jdobbs recommends.

6) Preview in BDRebuilder
Noticed it launches my MPC classic 6.4.9.1 which is surprising as most bluray are H.264 so would have thought would now launch MPC-HC which I have installed.

Last edited by jfcarbel; 7th January 2019 at 21:16.
jfcarbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2019, 04:37   #28284  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
First of all, you should keep the original Blu-Ray disc in a safe place. This is your master for all subsequent re-encodes.
Secondly, as every re-encode of a re-encode (like your MKV 265 10 bit) introduces new losses and artefacts (they might be small though), it is not recommended to keep a re-encode of a re-encode as a master or archival copy.
You are saying if I pass BD25 to MKV 265 directly, with full quality and AAC audio best quality (just like when you pass the BD25 to MKV with Makemkv) Iīll get loose quality?

My idea like I sayd is encode with Rebuilder to BD25 and not burning to disc but pass is it MKV, you know, 23gb compare with 15gb is something

So what do you say?
Old 8th January 2019, 10:45   #28285  |  Link
MrVideo

As pointed out, each and every recode introduces errors into the video. The higher the recoding bitrate, the less errors, but still errors. Going from DTS to AAC is not the best thing to do either. So, do as you were told and keep the original Blu-ray.

Will you notice the recoding errors, probably not.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2019, 19:10   #28286  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
As pointed out, each and every recode introduces errors into the video. The higher the recoding bitrate, the less errors, but still errors. Going from DTS to AAC is not the best thing to do either. So, do as you were told and keep the original Blu-ray.

Will you notice the recoding errors, probably not.
Thank you
Old 12th January 2019, 19:57   #28287  |  Link
ggtop

Selected source is not BD format.

Hi,

I have just experienced one of those rare cases where BDRB doesn't recognize a disc structure. The BD is called "Ein Vogel auf dem Drahtseil" and a german release of "Bird on a wire". BDRB doesn't read it from ISO and from original with AnyDVD running. If of any help BD Info, BD Edit, Clone BD have no problem showing the discs content. Anything I can provide to help?

ggtop
ggtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 23:03   #28288  |  Link
CV91913

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtop View Post
Hi,

I have just experienced one of those rare cases where BDRB doesn't recognize a disc structure. The BD is called "Ein Vogel auf dem Drahtseil" and a german release of "Bird on a wire". BDRB doesn't read it from ISO and from original with AnyDVD running. If of any help BD Info, BD Edit, Clone BD have no problem showing the discs content. Anything I can provide to help?

ggtop
As I recall, there are problems running BDRB with AnyDVD running. It was developed to run with disks that had no protection. And, I believe, JD does not respond to issues involving external programs like AnyDVD.
CV91913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 03:26   #28289  |  Link
AmigaFuture

There's something to disable in AnyDVD, I think.. Anyway, rip the BD to Hard Drive and BD-RB should notice the rip fine.
Old 13th January 2019, 17:09   #28290  |  Link
Shadow-Man

Enhanced Encoding - Question & Suggestions

Is it possible to override the --bluray-compat switch? I only want to use software players so... (B-Pyramid optimal, GOP 24 - 240)

I read that there is an encoding quality 6 wich enables a custom commandline - but i cant get it to work.

jdobbs
14th July 2012, 14:44

...ENCODE_QUALITY=6 is used for a custom command line. It is only meant for internal testing and very definitely isn't a higher quality level. Without proper usage (also undocumented) it could create a stream that is not BD compliant.

And here are some suggestions (if possible)

- different Avisynth settings for Main Movie / Bonus Material

- individual resolution settings for movie / extras (movie 1080 - extras 720)

- individual audio settings for movie / extras (i.e. movie dts-hd 5.1 to 640 ac3 5.1 / extras dts 768 5.1 to ac3 192 stereo)

- A copy stream option (usefull when in edit mode und enforce reencoding is used but still some streams should be untouched)

- the possibility to replace an Audio Stream (Main Movie) (for dubbing or uhd audio for bluray i.e. DTS 768 from BD to DTS-HD from uhd)

- the possibility to define a timerange for main movie on episode bluray with extras i.e.
episodes 3 x 45 min / specials: making of 60 min, Intervies 20 min
> timerange 30<>50 so the Episodes will count as "main movies"

- support for qtgmc deinterlacer (auto use on interlaced material, with possibility to edit some switches like preset, ezdenoise, source match - auto set single frame for 1080p and double frame for 720p)

Shadow-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 21:30   #28291  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
To all: Any and all political comments made in this forum will result in strikes. No exceptions from here on. This is a technical forum, not means for anyone to voice their political opinions.
JD for president!!!

Oh CRAP!!!

Heh heh... just getting caught up... I haven't been getting any notifications here and I just noticed how very Peaceful life... uh, *cough..., I mean, uh, how much I must have missed out on...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 21:45   #28292  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n

Hey don't stress. Family comes first this time of year! Don't let them think you're a stranger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Good point. Thanks for understanding.
Ah, but... Has JD indeed been getting stranger and stranger...? Have the neighbors been saying that he is the guy who is always so quiet and keeps to himself...?

Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 04:26   #28293  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow-Man View Post
Is it possible to override the --bluray-compat switch? I only want to use software players so... (B-Pyramid optimal, GOP 24 - 240)
Why? Software players have no issue playing BD compatible H.264 encodings.
Old 14th January 2019, 05:23   #28294  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
JD for president!!!

Heh heh... just getting caught up... I haven't been getting any notifications here and I just noticed how very Peaceful life... uh, *cough..., I mean, uh, how much I must have missed out on...
You're pretty common, so I wonder how many others aren't getting updates if they haven't visited in a while?

Last edited by AmigaFuture; 14th January 2019 at 21:13.
AmigaFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2019, 18:40   #28295  |  Link
Blurayhd

Hi all hi Jdobbs I have Passengers in UHD and I need to convert to Full HD, I pass from Bluray structure to one MKV file with audios tracks and subtitles and when I use Bd rebuilder 60.04 and in File,Imports, Mkv, I select this passengers UHD MKV file to import so Bd rebuilder should collect all information about it in let me start the convertion to Full hd? I ask this question because I donīt have clear how to do it because Bd rebuilder, just donīt do nothing, I mean, I can select the MKV and Bd rebuilder says

"[14:35:03] Importing MKV: PASSENGERS_(2016)_T00
- Preparing MKV for processing..."

And

[14:35:03] Importing MKV: PASSENGERS_(2016)_T00
- Preparing MKV for processing...
- Collecting audio/video streams from source...

And then this

- Building pseudo-BD source structure...
- Source issue found, attempting correction...

And then just the bars appears at 100% but donīt do nothing and doesnīt appears any like audio tracks and subtitles, just nothing

This is the log thank you Ch3vron

----------------------
[15:08:19]ERROR: Removing compression. Aborted.

I just donīt know because the bar of current process just go ahead but when it finish, nothing happens Bd rebuilder just stay there

please excuse me my english because is not my first language

Could you help me? thank you in advance!!

Last edited by Blurayhd; 15th January 2019 at 19:12.
Old 15th January 2019, 18:45   #28296  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Not without the full log
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2019, 19:09   #28297  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
Not without the full log
Youīre right, sorry in the rush I missed that
Old 15th January 2019, 22:54   #28298  |  Link
Blurayhd

All right this is the log and screenshot I donīknow what am I wrong? I have 176gb fee space on that drive

----------------------
[15:20:59] Importing MKV: PASSENGERS_(2016)_T00
[16:26:16]ERROR: Failed to build BD structure. Aborted.

Last edited by Blurayhd; 15th January 2019 at 22:57.
Old 16th January 2019, 02:28   #28299  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayhd View Post
All right this is the log and screenshot I donīknow what am I wrong? I have 176gb fee space on that drive

----------------------
[15:20:59] Importing MKV: PASSENGERS_(2016)_T00
[16:26:16]ERROR: Failed to build BD structure. Aborted.

Finally I make some more space on disk and I get this log

----------------------
[20:40:10] Importing MKV: PASSENGERS_(2016)_T00
[21:51:24] Video import completed successfully.

But once the video import is complete Bd rebuilder should show me the audio and subtitles tracks so far I know but only show me this

I donīt have any option to modify anything

Like I sayd before I donīt know what to do, and you donīt have any idea how much Iīll appreciate if any one could show me what I have to do and the error?

have a nice day
Old 16th January 2019, 02:34   #28300  |  Link
MrVideo

Wait for JD to release a new version that will allow for UHD to BD backups.