Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 13th July 2015, 14:17   #31741  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Not going to happen. We've found in the meanwhile that 1 pass with 1.0 strength is roughly identical to 2 passes with 0.5 strength. So there's no reason to use more than 1 pass with a strength of less than 1.0. That would be simply a waste of GPU performance for no good reason.
Right, but if even if there's only a very slight PQ improvement with a slightly higher GPU load then what is the big deal? The diff between 128X and 256X NNEDI3 is not worth the load either but some ppl choose to use it anyway. I currently run 0.65 with 3 passes and I like it quite a bit, 2 passes don't seem enough to me and my GPU can take the load without cranking its fans so all is well...who cares about compromises when we're talking about PQ and such small GPU loads?

Many videophiles hate sharpening but SR is seductive as it seems like a smarter more advanced sharpening filter, some sources are softer than others so not allowing to change the SR settings will force us to use another "dumber" sharpening filters on top for no good reason
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 14:21   #31742  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:
Strange thing. Can't reproduce it here! Can I get a debug log from each of you, please?

And do you get 0/x? Or 0-x/x? And either of that is constant? So you have 0/x or 0-x/x all the time?
Basically I see one of two things, based on playback status:

During playback, the queues are between zero and full (based on OSD), showing 0-x/x constantly. The playback is smooth and stable, so it might be an OSD thing. Log and screen below:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/n8..._-_playing.zip

----------------------------------------------------
With playback paused, the queues are full, showing x-x/x constantly. Log (paused after ~1 second) and screen below:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/uz...fter_1_sec.zip

----------------------------------------------------
I'm on Windows 8.1 (x64), MPC-HC (x64) v1.7.9.54 (nightly), Geforce 750Ti, drivers v353.38.
I hope the logs are long enough to show something useful.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 14:23   #31743  |  Link
Braum

To the guys who got completely empty queues, try setting smooth motion on and off.

When it's on I got empty queues (but it's not a problem for me as I don't use it).
Braum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 14:25   #31744  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Ok, thanks for the debug logs, everyone, bug already found. So you can stop sending debug logs now. It's just a cosmetical issue and only seems to affect smooth motion FRC. The queues are actually always full, it's just the OSD which reports it incorrectly. You can safely ignore that. Will be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLion View Post
as much as I like FineSharp for HQ 1080p content the whole LL on/off topic keeps troubeling me. I can find examples where one option performs (much) better than the other, just to have another example where it is the other way round. I agree that animation like Anime is in average much worse with LL on. In conclusion both options are compromised (as is almost everything in life )

Is there any chance you find time to look into Shiandow's suggestion to combine LL on/off throughout different stages? Could be potentially more fruitful than investing more time in tuning an AR filter for FineSharp. my 2 cents
I had tried Shiandow's suggestion, but didn't find a working solution on a quick check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Right, but if even if there's only a very slight PQ improvement with a slightly higher GPU load then what is the big deal?
But there isn't any PQ improvement, and the GPU load is dramatically higher. E.g. 2 passes with 1.0 strength look pretty much identical to 4 passes with 0.5 strength, and 4 passes take exactly twice as much time as 2 passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I currently run 0.65 with 3 passes and I like it quite a bit
Try 2 passes with strength 1.0, should look identical. If not, show me comparison screenshots which show that 3 passes with 0.65 look better than 2 passes with 1.0.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 14:29   #31745  |  Link
mogli

There's also an issue with deinterlacing in this version. It causes a constant flicker like a stroboscope.

GPU: NVIDIA 353.30
deinterlacer mode: video (film is fine)
OSD: nothing unusual (no drops or glitches)
which files: all interlaced material I tested (both PAL and NTSC DVDs and Blu-rays)
window mode: happens in all modes

TEMPORARY SOLUTION: use half frame rate DXVA deinterlacing
The sideeffect is that repeated frames constantly increase.

Last edited by mogli; 13th July 2015 at 16:12.
mogli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 14:34   #31746  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Not on my PC.

Some of the bug reports recently have a surprisingly low amount of detail/information. Come on, you can do better than that.

GPU? OS? Forced film mode or DXVA deinterlacing? What does the OSD say? Does it occur with all interlaced video files or just with some? Does it occur both in windowed and FSE mode? Etc etc...
Old 13th July 2015, 15:26   #31747  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
But there isn't any PQ improvement, and the GPU load is dramatically higher. E.g. 2 passes with 1.0 strength look pretty much identical to 4 passes with 0.5 strength, and 4 passes take exactly twice as much time as 2 passes.

Try 2 passes with strength 1.0, should look identical. If not, show me comparison screenshots which show that 3 passes with 0.65 look better than 2 passes with 1.0.
"Pretty much", "roughly" are irrelevant when it comes to PQ and such small GPU loads IMVHO......but fair enough, I'll play around with 1.0@2X and will report back then.

BTW, so PotPlayer users will finally be able to pause mVR but they'll still have to switch to a TV channel as they more than likely don't want to leave a fixed image on for too long......I do know that many standalone DVD/BD players make a screensaver kick in after a few secs, it would only make sense to me to see mVR run something like the "Spotlight.hlsl" script from MPC-HC so we would all finally be able to pause mVR and stop worrying...pure class
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 16:00   #31748  |  Link
XMonarchY

Is SuperRes Anti-Ringing filter integrated by default? I do not see a new option to enable Anti-Ringing.

Is algo 2 & 4 passes still considered to be an Ultra-quality setting?
Old 13th July 2015, 16:08   #31749  |  Link
tobindac

crashing when starting a dvb-t device/channel. correction that it wasn't on any video, adding on previous report about crash on latest mpc-hc nightly (also running svp latest).
tobindac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 16:11   #31750  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Don't set pre-presented frames in the NVIDIA control panel then, it messes madVR up quite considerably.
Luckily the NVIDIA panel has per-app settings!
I set all settings to default in NVidia CP and "Pre-rendered frames" are set to default "Use 3D application setting". That did not solve my problem.

With latest 88.17 madVR, even after madVR setting reset, my rendering times went WAY from 26ms to 37-40ms.
Old 13th July 2015, 16:43   #31751  |  Link
James Freeman

madVR 88.17 crashes immediately with MPC-HC nightly 1.7.9.54 64bit.
i7, GTX660, windows 7 64bit.

UPDATE:
Crashes only large files; small files play normally.
Talking about MKV here.

UPDATE2:
Disabling D3D11 fixes the crashes.
Enabling it again, stays fixed......

UPDATE3:
88.17 dropped about 8ms from my rendering time in P8 state! Thanks.

Last edited by James Freeman; 13th July 2015 at 16:56.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 16:46   #31752  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@James, more details, please. All videos files or just some? madVR crash report?
Old 13th July 2015, 17:06   #31753  |  Link
James Freeman

The crashes are back, they are totally random.
I'll do my best to catch one with debug mode.

EDIT:
When I first installed 88.17 it crashed immediately several time when I tried to play big files, but after disabling and enabling d3d11 the crashes became rare.... strange.

EDIT2:
It crashes even before it calculates the rendering times...
The image is frozen, so when I enlarge the window the text enlarges with it.
Movie resolution is 1920x1080.. something is wrong.

Last edited by James Freeman; 13th July 2015 at 17:39.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 17:44   #31754  |  Link
James Freeman

88.17 Crash log.
Probably due to "movie resolution"...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0f...adVR_-_log.zip
Old 13th July 2015, 17:47   #31755  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
That sounds quite weird! I'm having trouble reproducing it, though. I suppose the MPC-HC window is not centered on the screen in this situation, is it? Could you create a debug log that shows this situation?
Tell me if you find something https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R%20-%20log.7z if not I will look if I can provide more info.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 19:13   #31756  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
88.17 Crash log.
Probably due to "movie resolution"...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0f...adVR_-_log.zip
That's not a crash report, but a debug log. Debug logs are useless for crashes. What I need is the crash report. You can send it to me by pressing the "send bug report" button. Enter your name in the comments please, so I know the crash report is from you. If sending the crash report that way doesn't work, simply close the box, then you should get a crash report text file on your desktop. Upload that. If that also doesn't work, you should be able to press Ctrl+C when that "An error occurred in the application" crash box appears, which should copy the crash report to the clipboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
Tell me if you find something https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R%20-%20log.7z if not I will look if I can provide more info.
Thanks. The log is pretty clear about what's happening. Hope I can fix it based on that.
Old 13th July 2015, 20:36   #31757  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Any particular reason for this feature?
Kodi DSPlayer is probably helped the most by any change to the rendering of OSD elements. I haven't had the chance to test it. General stability has been the issue with Kodi thus far, particularly on playback stop.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 21:12   #31758  |  Link
Warner306

I am getting presentation glitches when using SuperRes or FineSharp under Upscaling Refinement. madVR v0.88.16 had no such problems.

720p -> 1080p
D3D11
Present frame for every v-sync
Rendering queue: 36-38 ms

This problem is present with MPC-BE and DSPlayer. SuperRes is working harder with the AR filter. But what about FineSharp? Has performance simply degraded?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 21:23   #31759  |  Link
6ari8

Quote:
Need more information. GPU? OS? Maybe a screenshot of the OSD (Ctrl+J)?

Does this problem also occur with v0.88.16, or is it a new problem with v0.88.17? How about this test build?

http://madshi.net/madVR8816b.rar

Does it show the same problem or not?
Sorry about that. More details:

System: Alienware M14x R2, Intel i7-3720QM, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB + Intel HD Graphics 4000, Windows 10TP 10166.

The issue seems to be only affecting D3D11 and is more pronounced in exclusive mode. It did not occur since you introduced D3D11 until now. I missed the madVR8816b test build so I just tried it and it does have the issue. However, builds up to v0.88.16 did not have this.

I don't think you can see what's wrong from looking at still screenshots but I took some.

During playback:

Paused:

I recorded a video that I hope can show the issue better here:
http://usersfiles.com/008uiezqcji8
6ari8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 21:28   #31760  |  Link
mogli

Is 'delay playback start until queue is full' supposed to work after resuming from a paused video? If so it doesn't seem to work anymore.
mogli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling