Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2016, 01:57   #4181  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
I'm sorry, but I have reasons why I won't implement such functionality.
As briefly as I can, given the amount of wrong to be refuted....

A sample audio extracted with gMKVExtractGUI:
S01E05 Affairs (1992)_track2_eng_DELAY -33ms

How would a muxer know the language is English? Probably the same way it'd know there's not supposed to be an audio delay of 01E, or 05, or 1992.... I suspect.

However you could take it a step further easily enough:
S01E05 Affairs (19912)_track2_[eng]_DELAY -33ms

I'm sure one of the extraction programs does that already. If you can find a legitimately named file including square brackets containing something that could be mistaken for a language code.... well after eating several hats I'd suggest everyone make this a new standard.

S01E05 Affairs_track2_[[eng]]_DELAY -33ms

MeGUI will automatically apply a language when using MKVToolNix for muxing if it's a full word (ie English) or if it's a three letter language code. Unfortunately MKVCleaver currently uses a two letter code if I remember correctly, but I think MeGUI would automatically set the following audio to French:
the_french_connection.ac3
or maybe this:
the_connection_french.ac3
so the current lack of a standard way to do things means very occasionally it does make a mistake. I'm still yet to read a complaint about it in the MeGUI thread though. Given you took the time to write that explanation I suspect you could reduce support questions by implementing the feature rather than not implementing it. You might even be able to reduce questions on the topic to zero as is the case for MeGUI.

I wouldn't take the language from a container file name. Only if it's specified for the individual streams, and if it's wrong there.... well if it comes down to that are there many settings that can't be set incorrectly at some stage? Automating a feature doesn't mean the user shouldn't still check things.

Realistically, MKVToolNix already does most of this. As long as it's opening streams in a container such as an MKV or MP4 etc, but if you extract the audio first it's every man for himself. Well these days MKVToolNixGUI will automatically set a language based on your preferences which may or may not be correct.

It does seem a pity the three letter language code would be restricted to English versions..... but there's a lot of English speaking MKVToolNix users out there. I suspect most people would come to recognise their commonly used language codes even if they don't speak English, but they could still set languages manually as they currently would.

Cheers.

Last edited by hello_hello; 21st May 2016 at 18:55.
Old 21st May 2016, 15:44   #4182  |  Link
Ripman

If someone can please confirm the problem I am having, as described below, I
will add the appropriate bug tracker request. Thank you.

mkvtoolnix 9.1.0 / win8.1

----------

Issue overview:
When appending wav files in mkvtoolnix gui to create an mka audio file, the
resultant mka file does not play properly.

----------

Issue process:
- Downloaded 96/24/2ch wav files from hdtracks. The tracks play in vlc.

- Added the first track to the mkvtoolnix gui.
- Selected the option to create chapters.
- Appended the other 18 tracks.
- Ensured the tracks were ordered properly.
- Merged. Resultant mka plays in vlc and has chapters at the appropriate times.

- Using the gui and the Edit Chapters function - opened the mka.
- Edited each chapter name. Changed each chapter's country to the USA.
- Saved the chapters to the mka file successfully.
- Saved the chapters to an xml file.
- mka plays in vlc and has chapters with names at the appropriate times.

- Added merged mka with chapter names to the mkvtoolnix gui.
- Added a title.
- Muxed.
- Resultant mka does not play in vlc. Time does not advance. Mediainfo shows
a one frame difference.

----------

Issue retry:
- Created a bin/cue CD image in roxio nxt2 disc copier. Used roxio nxt2 music
disc creator to extract 16-44-2ch wav's from the bin/cue CD image.
- Added the first wav to the mkvtoolnix gui.
- Appended other tracks.
- Resultant mka does not play in vlc. Time advances in 3-5s increments.

[edit] hdt wavs are extensible. Roxio wavs are 16bit Microsoft compliant.

Last edited by Ripman; 22nd May 2016 at 22:07. Reason: Add info abt issue
Old 21st May 2016, 15:50   #4183  |  Link
Ripman

If someone can please confirm the following, I will add the appropriate bug
tracker request. Thank you.

mkvtoolnix 9.1.0 / win8.1

----------

Issue overview:
An mkvtoolnix settings file can be saved/created when the gui contains nothing.

----------

Issue process:
- Open mkvtoolnix gui 9.1.0. Add nothing. The gui is completely clear.
- Under the menu, select: "Save Settings." A file-save dialog is presented so
the user.
- Save the settings.
Old 21st May 2016, 16:36   #4184  |  Link
Ripman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
That's not how it seems to work when you open an MKV with streams that have previously had their default track status set to "no". The MKV I opened in my previous screenshot was such an MKV, and after muxing with the GUI displaying exactly as it was in the screenshot, the resulting MKV had a video and audio track with a default status of "no".

Unless I'm completely misinterpreting what the "default track in output" column is telling me, but I'm not sure what else it could be.
My first post on p207 tried to explain this behavior as well. I've yet to post my subsequent reply to Mosu's questions, but I did type it out already.
Old 22nd May 2016, 19:55   #4185  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripman View Post
An mkvtoolnix settings file can be saved/created when the gui contains nothing.
I'm intentionally not restricting when a configuration can be saved. This is not a bug.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 22nd May 2016, 19:58   #4186  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripman View Post
My first post on p207 tried to explain this behavior as well. I've yet to post my subsequent reply to Mosu's questions, but I did type it out already.
Like I've said this was a bug that I've fixed since.

Old 22nd May 2016, 22:00   #4187  |  Link
Ripman

Quote:
I'm intentionally not restricting when a configuration can be saved. This is not a bug.
Very good; now I know. Thanks for responding.
Old 22nd May 2016, 22:05   #4188  |  Link
Ripman

Quote:
Like I've said this was a bug that I've fixed since.
I may have missed your announcement in that respect. Thanks for fixing that, though.
Old 28th May 2016, 11:48   #4189  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v9.2.0 released

Hey,

time for MKVToolNix v9.2.0. It's a somewhat unremarkable release with Several smaller issues having been addressed and no huge changes or enhancements.

One important change for Windows and Mac OS users of mkvinfo is that the change to start the GUI by default has been reverted. Instead a separate executable (mkvinfo-gui) is included for those platforms which starts the GUI by default. The newly introduced option "--no-gui" will remain valid but won't have any effect when used with the "mkvinfo" executable.

There have been no changes for package maintainers since the previous release.

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the Windows installer/portable version & Mac OS DMG and the source code.

The Windows and Mac OS binaries are available. Most of the Linux binaries are still being built and will be available in a couple of hours.

Quote:
2016-05-28 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* Released v9.2.0 "Photograph".

2016-05-20 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool enhancement: the action "select all attached files" in the popup menu actions for the attached files view has been split up into "enable all attached files" and "disable all attached files". Implements #1698.

2016-05-15 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: bug fix on Windows: removing the drive letter does not cause the colon to be removed automatically anymore. Fixes #1692.
* MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool bug fix: it's no longer possible to select "1" as the maximum number of files to split into as mkvmerge doesn't accept that value. Fixes #1695.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: the "interval" chapter generation mode was always creating one chapter too many.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: if a certain number of chapters had been generated with --generate-chapters then mkvmerge wasn't replacing the void placerholder with the actual chapters. Fixes #1693.

2016-05-14 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool bug fix: the track column "default track in output" wasn't taking into account if the track had its "default track" flag set to "no" in the source file. This would result in the column showing "yes" in certain situations even though mkvmerge would assign "no".

2016-05-06 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: fixed detection of (E-)AC-3 in MPEG TS files with unusual stream types (e.g. 0x87) but with (E-)AC-3 PMT descriptors. Fixes #1684.

2016-05-05 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge, mkvextract: bug fix: fixed handling of Big Endian PCM with a bit depth other than 16, 32 or 64 bits/sample. Other formats were using the Little Endian codec ID, but their content was actually not byte-swapped to match it. Now those other bit depths are byte-swapped to Little Endian, too. Fixes #1683.
* mkvinfo: the change to start the GUI by default on Windows and Mac OS has been reverted. Instead a separate executable (mkvinfo-gui) will be included for those platforms which starts the GUI by default. The newly introduced option "--no-gui" will remain valid but won't have any effect when used with mkvinfo.

2016-05-04 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvinfo GUI: enhancement: the window title now includes the file name. Implements #1679.
* mkvmerge: enhancement: the "bit depth" track header field will be set for DTS tracks from the first DTS core header. Implements #1680.

2016-05-02 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: the time zone portion of the "date_local" member of the JSON and verbose identification formats contained the time zone's name instead of its offset on Windows due to the Visual C++ runtime's std::strftime not being C++11 compliant. Additionally this resulted in errors about invalid UTF-8 strings for locales where the time zone's name contained non-ASCII characters.
Have fun

Old 28th May 2016, 12:03   #4190  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Addendum: Please note that the Windows installers (but not the actual programs) accidentally include a build number from the start of May (20160504-01204). This is a solely cosmetic issue which can be ignored.

Old 29th May 2016, 11:14   #4191  |  Link
hello_hello

Thanks for the new version. Just a little spelling error to report.......

--- Errors emitted by job 'merging to file "video.mkv" in directory "D:/"' started on 2016-05-29 19:59:26 ---
Invalid start/end specification for '--split' in '--split parts:00:05:30' (curent part: 00:05:30).

Cheers.

Mosu,
I gave reporting the Qt menu problem a shot, and I created an account for doing so, but reporting it in the right way was all too daunting. I wouldn't even know what category to file it under. The bug reporting system might make sense to someone using Qt to create software, but it's obviously not designed for the end user. I tried though.

Last edited by hello_hello; 29th May 2016 at 11:23.
Old 8th June 2016, 17:42   #4192  |  Link
AngelGraves13

I have an issue remuxing a file with a TrueHD stream that is 96KHz. The output file has no working audio and the timecode for the audio is messed up.

Guessing it's a bug with 96KHz audio files, as MakeMKV fixed the bug on their end a while ago.
Old 8th June 2016, 17:44   #4193  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Thanks for the heads-up. Can you please upload such a TrueHD file (the one before remuxing) to my FTP server (see signature)? I'd like to investigate and fix this. Thanks.

Old 8th June 2016, 18:58   #4194  |  Link
meridius75

Hi all

Wanted to ask a question as I have been using MKV tool Nix for couple of years and now find that it introduces video errors into the picture when creating a new mkv.

I find this strange since I thought MKVToolNix did not alter the picture ?

I Rip my movies with MakeMKV and then dump the video into MKVToolNix To edit and remove some parts of the video and edit names and when I come to play back some films not all there seems to be video corruption for a spilt second.

I tried the movie that was created with MakeMKV and its perfect but MKVToolNix creates errors in the video picture sometimes.

Now I have noticed this in a few versions and its took months to figure out why some of my videos have these corrupt errors in the video.

Some videos I did years ago and just watched now and see the same thing.

So I kept two files the MakeMKV file and the MKVToolNix file and when I seen the error I went back and redid the video with MKVToolNix since the MakeMKV file was fine and no errors in the same video using MKVToolNix, its just random and happens just sometimes.

Its random when this happens and I don't know why its doing it but its very annoying because I have to redo alot of videos because of this and I don't use MKVToolNix that often now because its not reliable but need to use it.

can anyone help me or can I help you sort this problem out or does anyone know or had the same problem

thanks

Last edited by meridius75; 8th June 2016 at 22:16.
Old 9th June 2016, 02:03   #4195  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up. Can you please upload such a TrueHD file (the one before remuxing) to my FTP server (see signature)? I'd like to investigate and fix this. Thanks.
Sure, I just have to use mkvcleaver to extract it out of the file. The movie I'm remuxing in question is the remastered My Fair Lady, which comes with a 96KHz audio track. Another film I ran into an issue with was the isolated music track 96KHz TrueHD stream of the film Oblivion.

Last edited by AngelGraves13; 9th June 2016 at 03:35.
Old 10th June 2016, 10:34   #4196  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridius75 View Post
Its random when this happens and I don't know why its doing it but its very annoying because I have to redo alot of videos because of this and I don't use MKVToolNix that often now because its not reliable but need to use it.
Please see e.g. bugs 651, 830, 1045, 1666.

Kind regards,
mosu

Old 10th June 2016, 17:57   #4197  |  Link
meridius75

Quote:
Please see e.g. bugs 651, 830, 1045, 1666.

Kind regards,
mosu
Oh dear no solution in fixing this then as its random. that's a shame as I know its not my hardware as I now use makemkv and I never have any problem with that in all the videos I have done in the past month not one glitch in the video.

there is some sort of fault with MKVToolnix and its random and a nasty bug because of what it does but it is MKVToolnix causing it as MAKEMKV does not have this problem.

I have even redone the same movie a 2nd time using the same machine and same video with MKVToolnix and its been perfect.

I will keep a log of what version does this and what version does not as I have used MKVToolNix for over 4 years and I will try to figure out which version have been doing this.
Old 14th June 2016, 20:53   #4198  |  Link
Ripman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Sure, I just have to use mkvcleaver to extract it out of the file. The movie I'm remuxing in question is the remastered My Fair Lady, which comes with a 96KHz audio track. Another film I ran into an issue with was the isolated music track 96KHz TrueHD stream of the film Oblivion.
I originally found the truhd problem in Mmg 64 v8.1 win8.1 portable. I hit the problem while trying to add srt subs to mkvs that I previously ripped, which in this case was Chinatown & Dr. Strangelove.

The reason I didn't post my notes was bc I was still on the road, and bc there is a work-around. Basically, only mux once. So, in my case, prepare the srt subs before ripping, and then add the subs and mux. (Usually I do a post mux to set defaults and track order, and then subsequent muxes to add subs, etc.)

There are also work arounds for the My Fair Lady / Oblivion BDs posted above.
- Use the flac profile in makemkv and rip the truhd track as flac 5.1. It will easier to edit anyway (so you can remove the dead space in the iso scores).
- You could also open the mkv from makemkv in audacity, which will allow you to edit the truhd track - you need to point audacity at the proper ffmpeg bin.
- Lastly, you could use eac3to with the mkv from makemkv as input, specify the track #, and the target format (e.g., flac).
- (Mkvextract should have no problem with the flac tracks.)
- Hi-Rez audio for Previn's My Fair Lady is available on the oop Sony sacd. In this case, the sacd is a mono recording.

If the op can't get a truhd sample uploaded, I'll get one up when I'm back in town.
Old 15th June 2016, 14:05   #4199  |  Link
Z-95
Lurker

Quote:
I've uploaded a small sample file to your FTP server that has TrueHD 96kHz named 96kHz.mkv. I used mkvtoolnix 7.9.0 to cut it since that version seems to handle 96kHz ok.

The same issues happen on 192kHz TrueHD as well--I can upload a sample with that if needed.
Old 15th June 2016, 14:11   #4200  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Thanks. I'll be out of town for ~two weeks; therefore I won't have time to look into it right away. I'll keep you updated.

Closed Thread