Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 8th August 2016, 11:26   #4261  |  Link
Jamaika

The film has only eg. you420p
Old 8th August 2016, 11:41   #4262  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I still don't really understand your question.

Only the CodecPrivate data (and that's where the HevCC is stored) from the first file will be kept in the resulting file's CodecPrivate element. That's by design. However, if any of the stream parameters change (VPS, SPS, PPS) those new elements will be present as NALUs in the stream. That's also by design.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 8th August 2016, 11:46   #4263  |  Link
Jamaika

Can container matroska join films with different parameters compilation HEVC?
ex. at first yuv420p and then yuv444p.
Old 8th August 2016, 11:51   #4264  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Maybe, partially. If you watch from start to finish it may work as the player will see the new VPS, PPS and SPS NALUs. However, if you start watching and seek to after that change it may not work anymore because the player's not aware new parameters are in effect.

Matroska itself has elements for dealing with changing CodecPrivate data (called "CodecState"), but mkvmerge doesn't use them (yet), and I don't know of a player that supports them either.

Old 8th August 2016, 11:56   #4265  |  Link
Jamaika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Maybe, partially. If you watch from start to finish it may work as the player will see the new VPS, PPS and SPS NALUs.
What does it mean? I see only yuv420p. I don't see yuv444p
Old 8th August 2016, 12:15   #4266  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Looks like it doesn't work *shrug*.

Old 9th August 2016, 01:44   #4267  |  Link
Ripman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripman View Post
I'm having a tough time splitting the source mkv so I can upload a sample. I tried using ffmpeg 2.2.2, and the split works, but the DTS-HD MA track also comes out at 48khz. Since ffmpeg yields a similar "issue," I'm inclined to believe that the source out of MakeMKV is problematic even as it shows as 192khz.

Either way, the first step is generating a sample, so I'm still working on that.
I used unix split to create a sample, and I uploaded it to dropbox.

sample (25mb - opens in MkvToolnix 9.3.1 as dts@192khz):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkmm7ddlqy...e_001.mkv?dl=1

I also opened an issue in GitHub. This is not an mkvtoolnix issue, as handbrake, ffpmpeg, tsmuxer exhibit the same issue. I am documenting the issue so that the information can be directed to the appropriate developers.

Last edited by Ripman; 10th August 2016 at 01:18.
Old 10th August 2016, 01:20   #4268  |  Link
Ripman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripman View Post
I used unix split to create a sample, and I uploaded it to dropbox.

sample (25mb - opens in MkvToolnix 9.3.1 as dts@192khz):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkmm7ddlqy...e_001.mkv?dl=1

I also opened an issue in GitHub. This is not an mkvtoolnix issue, as handbrake, ffpmpeg, tsmuxer exhibit the same issue. I am documenting the issue so that the information can be directed to the appropriate developers.
I ran this BDA through MakeMKV 1.10.0 using the flac profile, and received flac "thread emulation" errors. This is usually indicative of issues in MakeMKV and I've posted the relevant information for them here:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14739
Old 10th August 2016, 16:22   #4269  |  Link
Ripman

matroska standard question

Question:
Will the matroska standard be extended to accommodate dsd/dsf audio formats?

Background:
The mka container is very convenient for digital music. I put my hi-Rez wav/flac downloads from HDtracks and others in mka containers.

I've been downloading some 2.8g & 5.6g sampled dsf files from hdt and Analogue Productions. I'm trying to understand if I'll be able to put these into mka containers - maybe sometime in the future if the standard is extended, which is what I'm asking.
Old 12th August 2016, 18:36   #4270  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I've never heard of those two audio formats. To my knowledge no one has expressed the intent to work on adding them to Matroska either. So the answer seems to be "no" for the time being.

Old 13th August 2016, 01:45   #4271  |  Link
mariush

First time i've heard of them as well. Apparently some kind of SACD disc images or something like that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital

Don't see why someone couldn't just convert the files to FLAC with minimal perceptible (if any) loss of audio quality.
Old 13th August 2016, 06:05   #4272  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariush View Post
Don't see why someone couldn't just convert the files to FLAC with minimal perceptible (if any) loss of audio quality.
Placebo effect should explain it all

According to my memory banks, DSD files are MUCH bigger than their equivalent PCM files
Old 15th August 2016, 17:35   #4273  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Blu-rays with HDMV TextST subtitles?

Back at the end of 2014 Mike from MakeMKV and I have been implementing support for the text subtitle format used on Blu-rays. Unfortunately I've never finished this — it still sits in my local git repository in a feature branch.

I'd like to finish this. However, I'd like to verify that MakeMKV and mkvmerge still produce the same output (regarding HDMV TextST subtitles) when they're given the same source material. Unfortunately I don't have a single Blu-ray that MakeMKV shows HDMV TextST subtitles for — and information online which discs might contain them is sparse to say the least.

I've bought three discs over the last couple of weeks which supposedly contain TextST subtitles. None did. The first two were German versions bought on Amazon.de whereas the third one was the US version of "The Scorpion King" on Amazon.com. No dice.

Soooooo… Can anyone point me to a Blu-ray he or she is absolutely, 100% positive contains TextST subtitles? With links to concrete products in a web shop? I'm definitely willing to buy them, I just have to find them.

Thanks

(All this has lead me to question whether it's worth it in the first place…)

Old 15th August 2016, 17:49   #4274  |  Link
Overdrive80
Anime addict

Hi, I detect one thing wrong, I expose my case. I have one matroska file with 2 episodes extracted from Bluray (original bluray has 2 m2ts but extracting using makemkv only can extract to one file) with its chapters, with this form:

If I choose split using time codes, 00:24:21.126333333, the result is split wrong, part of video 2 is in video 1 (I just know IDR Frames, but I dont refer to that, keep calm ^^).

If I calcule number frame with 00:24:21.126333333 like reference:

24000 x
-----=-----
1001 1461.126333333

x = round((24000 * 1461,126333333)/1001) = 35032

Now I choose split using frame and work fine.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Overdrive80; 15th August 2016 at 17:51.
Old 15th August 2016, 18:35   #4275  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

@Overdrive80: What comes to mind is that M2TS files contain timestamps, and mkvmerge uses them. It's highly likely that the actual timestamp for the frame you're thinking about is not the one you've entered and is in fact smaller.

Note that there's no link between chapter timestamps and frame timestamps at all. They can be the same, they can differ slightly, they can be totally different.

Old 15th August 2016, 21:07   #4276  |  Link
Ripman

Quote:
Originally Posted by filler56789 View Post
Placebo effect should explain it all

According to my memory banks, DSD files are MUCH bigger than their equivalent PCM files
The DSD format has been available on SACDs since the late 1990s.

Some use old PS3's on ofw 3.55 with a custom app to rip iso images of SACDs. A Foobar2000 add-in can then be used to generate dsf files or wav/flac files. I've never done this process.

Today, studios/producers make dsf files available.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/11...z64fs_Download

For the example above, only dsf files are available. I converted the dsf files to 24/352 wavs. I'd rather skip the conversion step and maintenance of an encoded copy, and just use the source, hence my question.

This page contains free dsd/dsf samples. There are also many other types of samples too: 352, MQA, studio 24/96, etc.
http://www.2l.no/hires/

----------

Flac:
The flac approach needs consideration in this scenario because it would require maintaining a source copy and a flac encoded copy of the source. It's a different scenario than archiving CDs because there are no discs. My "disc" in this case is the source digital download - and I need to save my "disc" so I might as well use it too.

Flac is an excellent format that I use often. It's not so good at being a container, especially compared to mkv/mka. The gist of my posts lately should make it obvious why I am asking these very atypical questions about MKV.

Web link:
The link is probably a good read about frequency response and the human ear; these are facts of nature, of course.

Some of the titles I get just aren't available in other formats - like the AP example above. There isn't a Bach/Richter/Messe CD reissue - you live with the 1996 version, or grab the new 192khz version.

I enjoy the releases by 2L, and I believe these to be some if the finest modern recordings. I buy the 2L discs because I can literally move between the violins viola cello (viz., quartet) via DTS and Auro-3D audio tracks.

Sometimes, the higher bitrates and sample rates are the producers running the digital masters back through some custom/proprietary DA converter to create a different feel or sound or to "soften the digital edges."

Sometimes, the higher bitrates and sample rates are the producers reducing multi-channel audio to stereo. The increased sample rates help maintain a higher bitrate when going from multi-channel to stereo.

Anyway, it's not a binary approach.

Last edited by Ripman; 15th August 2016 at 21:11.
Old 15th August 2016, 21:10   #4277  |  Link
Snowknight26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Soooooo… Can anyone point me to a Blu-ray he or she is absolutely, 100% positive contains TextST subtitles? With links to concrete products in a web shop? I'm definitely willing to buy them, I just have to find them.
The problem is, BDInfo doesn't detect TextST streams nor do any websites list the format of subtitles, so at this point you're essentially taking someone's word for it.

Having said that, a lot of Finnish and Norwegian Blu-rays use text subtitles.

With no proof to give you, these have them:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Taalla...Blu-ray/32715/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Taalla...Blu-ray/32716/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Miekka...lu-ray/147676/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Katilo-Blu-ray/139954/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Kekkon...Blu-ray/90650/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/21-tap...Blu-ray/69926/
Old 15th August 2016, 21:35   #4278  |  Link
Jamaika

I downloaded subtitles TEXTS. Indeed ffmpeg it didn't convert, but some have coped.
Sub Edit reads and converts subtitles TEXTST.
Old 15th August 2016, 23:16   #4279  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

@Ripman:

yes, I already was aware of (almost) everything you wrote.
Many months ago, I gave a try to a program which could convert PCM to DSD and vice-versa, and I also played DSD sample files in foobar2000 through the SACD plugin.

Now, someone please correct me if I am wrong this time: on a PC, it's not possible a «direct playback» of a DSD stream — this latter must be first converted to something that the operating system and the (current) sound cards "understand" (i.o.w., PCM). You have a point about the convenience of the Matroska container though (namely: tagging, chapter points).

Last edited by filler56789; 15th August 2016 at 23:19. Reason: clarity
Old 16th August 2016, 01:10   #4280  |  Link
Ripman

Quote:
Originally Posted by filler56789 View Post
@Ripman:
chapter points.
I think Moritz got a kick out of this one.
https://github.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/issues/1760
Closed Thread