Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st June 2017, 04:16   #43961  |  Link
oddball

Madshi can you please explain why the following does not work '1080p23, 2160p23' If I use that when the display is set to 2160, it cuts off a 1080p video and only shows half of the video on the display to the right and the left half is black. If I set the display to 1080 it shrinks the 2160p video to the top left corner (quarter) of the display and the rest of the display is black. Is there no way to fix this?
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 08:54   #43962  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by igvk View Post
It seems that either the video is badly encoded, or it is wrongfully interpreted.
Anyway, does it really has any sense to have values 0 and 255 pass to 3D LUT then?
the video is supposed to be limited range that's all i can say.
removing BTB/WTW before it get's into the 3D LUT cost performance and WTW can be used and is not that rare in sources.

Quote:
Madshi can you please explain why the following does not work '1080p23, 2160p23' If I use that when the display is set to 2160, it cuts off a 1080p video and only shows half of the video on the display to the right and the left half is black. If I set the display to 1080 it shrinks the 2160p video to the top left corner (quarter) of the display and the rest of the display is black. Is there no way to fix this?
try to disable the windows scaling by setting DPI scaling to 100%.

i don't know why you should use 1080p and 2160p at the same time. resolution changing got quite messy with the newer windows version but not everyone is affected as always.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 10:29   #43963  |  Link
igvk

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
removing BTB/WTW before it get's into the 3D LUT cost performance and WTW can be used and is not that rare in sources.
Yes, it should be limited range. But somehow this video is decoded to values of R that are out of scope for limited range. Although it doesn't look like full range video - the level of white color stops at 235.
There are lots of video that show some artifacts in saturated areas that become seen when using 3D LUT.

My question is - does it make sense to consider values 0 and 255 special that shouldn't be mapped by it? I know that they are used for timing information in video standard, but what is the use of having them in the output of 3D LUT?
Should there be any video timing information in madVR output?
igvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 16:57   #43964  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by igvk View Post
Yes, it should be limited range. But somehow this video is decoded to values of R that are out of scope for limited range. Although it doesn't look like full range video - the level of white color stops at 235.
There are lots of video that show some artifacts in saturated areas that become seen when using 3D LUT.
could be anything from a mastering issue to encoding artifacts the list is long.

nothing wrong with decoding anything to full range even if the video is limited range. this is totally ok the issue is the 3D LUT handle nothing else.
Quote:
My question is - does it make sense to consider values 0 and 255 special that shouldn't be mapped by it? I know that they are used for timing information in video standard, but what is the use of having them in the output of 3D LUT?
the video timing part is even bigger. i'm not sure if they are present in this part there. for 1080p the send "image" has a size of about 2200x1125 with DMT timing.
a 3D LUT shouldn't be mapping it like this but that's really all i have to say. i brought this up to fhoech and i'm not going to force it on him. this is free software done by people in there free time there is a limited.
so that's it nothing more for me to do this topic is over for me.
Quote:
Should there be any video timing information in madVR output?
i have not written a video renderer but i'm pretty sure there are no timing information that are of any important or most likely any timing information in the image what so ever.

madVR is not the reason for the issue.
Old 1st June 2017, 17:15   #43965  |  Link
igvk

Quote:
nothing wrong with decoding anything to full range even if the video is limited range. this is totally ok the issue is the 3D LUT handle nothing else.

the video timing part is even bigger. i'm not sure if they are present in this part there. for 1080p the send "image" has a size of about 2200x1125 with DMT timing.
a 3D LUT shouldn't be mapping it like this but that's really all i have to say. i brought this up to fhoech and i'm not going to force it on him. this is free software done by people in there free time there is a limited.
so that's it nothing more for me to do this topic is over for me.
The main issue I think is that for some reason 3D LUT file is created so that 0 maps strictly to 0 and 255 - to 255.
But there is no reason to do this, because these special values are not used by the application that is using the LUT file (I am talking about madVR).
igvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 03:16   #43966  |  Link
oddball

Is anyone getting over saturated colors in full screen exclusive mode when using DX11? If I disable DX11 the colors are the same with or without FSE.
Old 2nd June 2017, 05:19   #43967  |  Link
ryrynz

What's your graphics card? Should really flesh out your post.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 15:14   #43968  |  Link
oddball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
What's your graphics card? Should really flesh out your post.
AMD RX 480 with latest drivers (same with older driver though). I managed to fix it I think by setting the Windows color profile to wide gamut.
Old 2nd June 2017, 15:19   #43969  |  Link
oddball

Quote:

try to disable the windows scaling by setting DPI scaling to 100%.

i don't know why you should use 1080p and 2160p at the same time. resolution changing got quite messy with the newer windows version but not everyone is affected as always.
Yeah I already tried that thinking it might be DPi but it made no difference. The reason I wanted switching to 1080p for 1080p content was to lessen the load on the GPU when not needed.
Old 2nd June 2017, 19:29   #43970  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post

What happens if you take "1080p32" off the list? I had an issue when both "1080p32 2160p23" are in the list. It was some time ago and I don't remember what the issue was. Anyway, it solved the issue with 1080p for me. I use an AMD RX 480.

Last edited by HillieSan; 2nd June 2017 at 19:37.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 11:44   #43971  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
The closest to 71.928 hz I could get was 71.931 hz...anyway looks ok for now.
Check here to know what is the refresh rate you want to aim for: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=173571
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 13:31   #43972  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Check here to know what is the refresh rate you want to aim for: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=173571
That's a good guide, but it will be good to use examples of 23.976 hz and multiple refresh rates not 50 hz, also I can't use cru cause it doesn't detect my custom refresh rate, I'm on displayport.
Also using pixel clock calculator it doesn't show the exact timings for 71.928 hz...

Last edited by Siso; 3rd June 2017 at 13:34.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 13:52   #43973  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

I used that guide and I did not use CRU. AMD custom refresh rates works perfectly. I also used the guide for setting up my 59.940, 75 AND 71.928 rates... With current temperatures all 3 at "no drops/repeats expected"... So the guide is very useful even if you don't follow it exactly.

QB
Old 3rd June 2017, 14:30   #43974  |  Link
huhn

why here in this thread and not in the guides thread?
Old 3rd June 2017, 20:10   #43975  |  Link
Vincent Vega

guys sorry for simplest question, others asked before but i cant find answer:
Is there a way to turn off the "Exclusive/Windowed" message at the top left when switching between windowed/fullscreen?
(I do want fullscreen to be in exclusive mode, just dont want to see the message everytime)
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 20:39   #43976  |  Link
Damien147

Yes,close your eyes.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 21:03   #43977  |  Link
Vincent Vega

aw come on ..
Old 3rd June 2017, 21:30   #43978  |  Link
Damien147

I don't find it a big deal because it stays there for a second and also informs you what's going on.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 04:57   #43979  |  Link
Vincent Vega

another question:
i cant use mpc-hc "save image" with madvr (dxva2 copy-back decoding + dxva2 scaling).
the output of save image is discolored mostly white picture with barely visible silhouettes, and the size of mpc-hc window, not the frame size.
will it be fixed? in the meantime, is there a workaround?
Old 4th June 2017, 05:06   #43980  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
(I do want fullscreen to be in exclusive mode, just dont want to see the message everytime)
You're not the first to ask. I think madshi will add an option to prevent these in a future version. For now.. Close your eyes.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling