Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 20th October 2016, 15:57   #25081  |  Link
MrVideo
Registered User
 
MrVideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Bobbing instead of deinterlacing has its own cons, but QTGMC is an outstanding bobber in many respects.
Wow, I haven't heard that plugin name in a while. It is very slow, but indeed does a great job. I haven't used it in ages.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 16:24   #25082  |  Link
jdobbs
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,899
I actually prefer TIVTC to Telecide/Decimate for most sources (not all though). If I'm performing iVTC I usually try each and pick the one I think gives the clearer/stabler result. That's the reason I added both to BD-RB.
__________________
Help with development of new apps: Donations.
Website: www.jdobbs.net
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 16:30   #25083  |  Link
Sharc
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I actually prefer TIVTC to Telecide/Decimate for most sources (not all though).
Ahh...., that's why you set IVTC_METHOD=1 per default.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 06:28   #25084  |  Link
MrVideo
Registered User
 
MrVideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,955
I'm going to do a bunch of encodes using the following TFM settings:
Code:
tfm(order=1,mode=0,slow=2,display=false)
Yes, I know that the default for display is false. I have it there as a placeholder. If I spot some frames that do not look right, I can quickly change the false to true and rerun the job and look at the embedded info.

Jdobbs, What are the situations whereby you won't use TFM?
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 21:54   #25085  |  Link
Lathe
Registered User
 
Lathe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Hard-telecined stuff:
The source which Lathe uploaded in his other thread was 2:3 hard-telecined (no pulldown flags). You can only say this by manually analyzing the stream; media info will always report such streams as interlaced which often misleads people (and tools) to blindly apply deinterlacers to hard telecined footage (why should they suspect something else....).
When you set IVTC_SELECTION=1 in the .ini, BD-RB lets you choose as dropdown menu (right click on the stream) to force IVTC on "interlaced" (in fact hard-telecined) streams. So when you are positive that the stream is in fact hard-telecined you can IVTC it; just don't apply IVTC to true interlaced content!

One still finds hard-telecined stuff as bonus material (extras) on BD's because the studios are sometimes lazy and take these from previous DVD releases, or compile hybrids of true interlaced video with telecined film .... lot from DVD-NTSC heritage.

True-interlaced:
A true interlaced 29.97i video can always be bobbed to 1280x720p@59.94fps in order to preserve the original time resolution and stay Blu-ray compliant. Bobbing instead of deinterlacing has its own cons, but QTGMC is an outstanding bobber in many respects (I prefer it over frame interpolation) -- and also use it sometimes to clean up IVTC-ed progressive material.
There is a lot to this... This is very vital information, because I'm pretty sure that on one of the very first ones I tried some script on, I had assumed that it was interlaced because MediaInfo said it was, so I used BDRB decomb/blend filter. It came out 'okay', but I'm pretty sure now that it likely was as you say, hard telecined. I did 2 like that. One didn't turn out too bad (colour 'AND HOPE TO DIE') One looks pretty rough (B&W 'I ACCUSE')

I THINK that pretty much all of the films I will be trying to 'improve' are from DVD captures; So, I'm guessing that most of them will likely fall into this same category. It there a way visually to 'step through' a file frame by frame to observe whether every frame is 'combed' or interlaced looking, or if it has (if I've read correctly about telecined stuff) 3 good looking frames, and then 2 that look interlaced (or the other way around ) Right...?
This is VERY good to know...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 03:54   #25086  |  Link
Lathe
Registered User
 
Lathe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,042
Just a quickie...

I tried putting a preset in as a Tweak, but it looks like BDRB ignored it. Are you not able to put an x264 preset as a Tweak?
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 05:00   #25087  |  Link
MrVideo
Registered User
 
MrVideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
It there a way visually to 'step through' a file frame by frame to observe whether every frame is 'combed' or interlaced looking, or if it has (if I've read correctly about telecined stuff) 3 good looking frames, and then 2 that look interlaced
You will need a program that will let you step through the file, a frame at a time and not de-interlace.. For that I use my video editing program. VLC will not let you do that. You can get it to slow down playback. But, I think VLC de-interlaces, so that doesn't help.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 05:16   #25088  |  Link
jdobbs
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Just a quickie...

I tried putting a preset in as a Tweak, but it looks like BDRB ignored it. Are you not able to put an x264 preset as a Tweak?
There are some tweaks that BD-RB doesn't allow -- for example, anything that would change the framerate.

You can step through a video a frame at a time with Media Player Classic (MPC) -- it is included in the BD-RB tools folder (mplayerc.exe).
__________________
Help with development of new apps: Donations.
Website: www.jdobbs.net

Last edited by jdobbs; 22nd October 2016 at 05:19.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 05:40   #25089  |  Link
Lathe
Registered User
 
Lathe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
There are some tweaks that BD-RB doesn't allow -- for example, anything that would change the framerate.

You can step through a video a frame at a time with Media Player Classic (MPC) -- it is included in the BD-RB tools folder (mplayerc.exe).
Ah, good to know, thanks!

Thanks too, Mr. Video. Yeah, VLC will allow you to set up whether interlace is active / automatic / off and which type. But, you are right, you cannot step through a file frame by frame. I'll use MPC then and give it a try.
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 05:45   #25090  |  Link
Lathe
Registered User
 
Lathe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,042
Um... any other thought as to the 2 pass size fluctuation with BD25? Seems with LAVF it used to almost always come out to 22.95 or so. Now, it appears to be smaller a lot of the time, like around 21 Gigs.
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 09:07   #25091  |  Link
Sharc
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
..... It there a way visually to 'step through' a file frame by frame to observe whether every frame is 'combed' or interlaced looking, or if it has (if I've read correctly about telecined stuff) 3 good looking frames, and then 2 that look interlaced (or the other way around .......
I am normally using AvsPmod for this purpose. It's a very handy tool for trying out scripts and see the result immediately.

Last edited by Sharc; 22nd October 2016 at 09:11.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 10:05   #25092  |  Link
Sharc
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,858
@jdobbs
A question in the context of the IVTC discussion:
When incuding AVS scripts (Setup menu: "Use AVS filters during encoding") AND forcing IVTC, the custom filters are inserted before the IVTC in the final script, means the custom filters are applied to the telecined material.
Is there a way in BD-RB to swap the order, i.e. IVTC before the custom AVS filters? Or should the order be swapped automatically when forcing IVTC?

Edit:
I found the solution. One has to set the prefix r: in front of the custom filter. This puts the custom filter after the IVTC in the sequence.
(Question is perhaps still whether this swapping could/should be done automatically in this case).

Last edited by Sharc; 22nd October 2016 at 11:05.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 15:26   #25093  |  Link
jdobbs
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Um... any other thought as to the 2 pass size fluctuation with BD25? Seems with LAVF it used to almost always come out to 22.95 or so. Now, it appears to be smaller a lot of the time, like around 21 Gigs.
It really shouldn't matter. The specified bitrate is that same whether you use LAVF or any of the other frame-serving methods.
__________________
Help with development of new apps: Donations.
Website: www.jdobbs.net
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 01:34   #25094  |  Link
gonca
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,113
I am seeing references to prefixes for the AVS Editor
I knew they existed but I an seeing different prefixes mentioned that I am not familiar with; i.e. r:
I have used search and cannot find a list of all the allowed prefixes.
Is there such a list?
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 01:47   #25095  |  Link
jdobbs
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,899
Code:
July 8th, 2010
- Added an AVS filter editor to the SETUP dialog.  This
  will allow you to add AVS filters to files.  Note that
  bug reports WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED when filters are in
  use (as errors are almost always caused by the filter
  usage).  You can add "E:", "F:", "I:", or "P:" as a 
  prefix to a line added in the filter editor.  The 
  prefixes represent "Extras", "Feature", "Interlaced", 
  and "Progressive" respectively.  When specified, the 
  prefix will limit that filter to usage only when the 
  source to be encoded matches the prefix.  For example, 
  if specifying "E:filter1()" the filter "filter1()" 
  would only be applied to segments that are determined 
  to be extras.  Setting "e:i:filter2()" limits use of 
  "filter2()" to segments that are extras -- and are 
  also interlaced.
November 28th, 2011
- Added a new prefix for filter editing.  By adding
  the "r:" prefix, BD-RB will add the specified
  filter after the resizing stage (rather than the
  default of before).  Note: If using more than one 
  prefix, the "r:" must be the last in the series.
Also:

"a:" filter applies to the audio AVS
"m:" filter applies only to menus

Notes:

1. You can use either Upper or Lower case in the filter prefixes, it doesn't matter...
2. On a series disc, where there are multiple episodes -- don't use "F:" because it will only apply to the largest episode
__________________
Help with development of new apps: Donations.
Website: www.jdobbs.net

Last edited by jdobbs; 23rd October 2016 at 02:01.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 01:58   #25096  |  Link
gonca
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,113
Thank you
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 13:00   #25097  |  Link
Sharc
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,858
Script error?

@jdobbs
When I select "Use Deinterlacer on interlaced sources" (for an imported source), and set in the .ini
DEINTERLACER_TYPE=1
DB-RB aborts.

I assume it's due a script syntax error:
Code:
#Created by BD Rebuilder - v0.50.18
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files Video\DGdecNV\DGDecodeNV.dll")
DGSource("C:\TEMP\BD REBUILDER\WORKFILES\VID_00000.DGI", fieldop=0)
ConvertToYV12()
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files Video\BD_Rebuilder\tools\decomb521.dll")
FieldDeinterlace(blend=false,+blend=false)
ConvertToYV12().AssumeFPS(30000,1001)
The script is ok for the other DEINTERLACER_TYPE=n

Last edited by Sharc; 25th October 2016 at 13:07. Reason: Typo
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 13:07   #25098  |  Link
jdobbs
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
@jdobbs
When I select "Use Deinterlacer on interlaced sources" (for an imported source), and set in the .ini
DEINTERLACE_TYPE=1
DB-RB aborts.

I assume it's due a script syntax error:
Code:
#Created by BD Rebuilder - v0.50.18
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files Video\DGdecNV\DGDecodeNV.dll")
DGSource("C:\TEMP\BD REBUILDER\WORKFILES\VID_00000.DGI", fieldop=0)
ConvertToYV12()
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files Video\BD_Rebuilder\tools\decomb521.dll")
FieldDeinterlace(blend=false,+blend=false)
ConvertToYV12().AssumeFPS(30000,1001)
The script is ok for the other DEINTERLACE_TYPE=n
That sure doesn't look right, does it? I'll look at it later today.

[Edit] Yep. I screwed the pooch on that one when I made the change. It has been fixed for the next release.
__________________
Help with development of new apps: Donations.
Website: www.jdobbs.net

Last edited by jdobbs; 25th October 2016 at 13:46.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 18:59   #25099  |  Link
geheim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 61
Any news about 3D subtitle depth??
I still loose all depth in my 3D subtitles after encoding with FRIM...

@jdobbs Could you take a look at MVCEnc from BDtoAVCHD?? Because this tool keeps 3D offsets intact after encoding. However, it cannot keep any menus, therefore I prefer using BDRebuilder.
But without 3d subtitle depth many movies don't give a pleasant view with subtitles "cutting" across picture elements...

I'd really appreciate it if you could figure out why BDtoAVCHD keeps offsets intact and BDRebuilder doesn't. I'd be very pleased if you could add an option to select a fixed offset value, no need for the original depth offsets to be kept if that is too diffcult to implement. But any depth at all would be really good for a loads of movies.

Thanks so much!!
geheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 07:07   #25100  |  Link
Lathe
Registered User
 
Lathe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
I am normally using AvsPmod for this purpose. It's a very handy tool for trying out scripts and see the result immediately.
Yes, thanks, I do have that but I've not tried it out yet.

BTW, I'm glad you mentioned about AVS script running BEFORE the IVTC! I did not know this because sometimes I want to add filters, but I want to do it AFTER the IVTC is done. Hmmm...

So what is with the 'r'? Where exactly do you put it. Say I wanted to use Sharpen(.3), where would I put the 'r'? Would I enter the text in the Avisynth code area of BDRB like this: 'r Sharpen(.3)'...?

Oh, also, would I need to add an 'r' before each line of script?

Last edited by Lathe; 26th October 2016 at 07:09.
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.