Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Old 18th November 2021, 20:14   #1  |  Link
gispos

New PC Monitor

My monitor broke and I now have to make a difficult decision about size and resolution.
I don't play games, just a model helicopter simulator. I don't need video in 4K on a PC monitor.
The focus is on color fidelity, uniform illumination and sharpness. 600 euros would be the upper limit.

24, 27 or 32 inches, that is the question.
24, 27 inch Full HD or 27 inch QHD or a 32 inch QHD.
In the shop you can't really judge whether 32 inches is too big for a monitor, I don't want to keep moving my head back and forth.

Can anyone give me some advice?
Thanks.
Old 19th November 2021, 01:03   #2  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Not much help from here, but I can say that I got a 27 inch about 12->24 months ago, and now want a 32 inch.
It is great to have two monitors, can use 2nd for Debug output or other stuff - and even an additional 19 or 17 inch 4:3 is a huge plus if your graphics card can drive two or more.
Years ago I used to have a green screen 9 inch metal industrial monitor hooked up via Sinclair QL and linked though RS-232 to both ATARI ST or Comodore Amiga 1200
as a debug whotsit. [QL received debug messages and displayed them on the 9 inch - I may have also used for PC debugging for a time, not sure].
A 2nd Monitor is the 'Dogs Bollocks'. [dont bin your old one - my card will drive at least 4 monitors (6 ports) but I cant see myself wanting more than 2 (but I do got a spare 17 inch)]

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 19th November 2021 at 01:33.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2021, 01:23   #3  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

27 inch QHD is the sweet spot IMO. You'll want an IPS panel too for color fidelity
Old 19th November 2021, 05:36   #4  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
I can say that I got a 27 inch about 12->24 months ago, and now want a 32 inch.
Ditto. Especially with UHD resolution.

This one looks promising:

https://www.abelcine.com/buy/monitor...master-monitor

More discussion here:

http://rationalqm.us/board/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1113

Last edited by videoh; 19th November 2021 at 05:41.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2021, 09:29   #5  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

It all depends on viewing distance. I had a 30+ inch at one point, but i exchanged it back to a 27" because it was noticeably making my eyes tire from requiring too much movement. If your screen is further away (mine is at about arms reach, when I sit properly and try to reach out, I can just barely not touch it), that might be a different thing.
So my vote goes with 27 QHD.
Old 19th November 2021, 14:52   #6  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Nev, why QHD when you can have full UHD? Cost?
Old 19th November 2021, 16:04   #7  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I'm not sure I see the benefit of UHD on that size, but you can make that argument. Personally when I got this screen UHD was still a bit limited in availability, and connectivity didn't allow UHD and high refresh rates properly. These days you can get HDMI 2.1 and when I ever exchange this screen, it might become UHD, who knows. Screens last a while.
Old 19th November 2021, 16:58   #8  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Ditto. Especially with UHD resolution.

This one looks promising:
Yeah, looks OK but a bit more than I was planning to spend [I'm a bit of a cheapskate and $30,000.00 is a tad out of my reach, but probably ideal for VideoH and GisPos].

How does this one look [ any good ? ]:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LU2...09KM6NMS2?th=1
Quote:
Samsung U28R550UQR - UR55 Series - LED monitor - 28" (28" viewable) - 3840 x 2160 4K @ 60 Hz - IPS - 300 cd/m² - 1000:1 - HDR10-4 ms - 2xHDMI, DisplayPort - dark grey/blue
@ £249.00, a bit more acceptable.
I decided maybe 32 inch more than I have room for to still keep 2nd monitor.
(my 27" is only FHD, so hopefully improvement)

EDIT: What limitations come with 4 ms Response Time ?

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 19th November 2021 at 17:10.
Old 19th November 2021, 17:10   #9  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

It's only 300 nits so if HDR is important to you, it's pointless as SDR monitors can deliver that much. If you just want the resolution and improved color space, it looks like a reasonable choice. Don't know anything about response time issues. 60 Hz may not please gamers. I reckon you will quickly get hooked on the crispness of UHD.
Old 19th November 2021, 17:15   #10  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Thanx VH, guess that sews it up, about to press the buy button.
(no games here, and HDR of little concern)

EDIT: Button pressed.

Last edited by StainlessS; 19th November 2021 at 17:22.
Old 19th November 2021, 17:38   #11  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Hope you enjoy it. You'll probably have to increase your windows scale value (I use 225%), otherwise things will look tiny. There is a downside in that some apps' layouts don't work well at these larger scales. They seem few and far between in my experience and I can live with it. Let us know how you like your new monitor.

You can enable HDR in windows and then you'll be able to play UHD HDR titles directly without having to convert them to SDR. You'll also then see some pleasing new colors in windows that have been hidden from you in SDR. If you enable HDR, you'll want to adjust the windows SDR brightness slider to your liking. I run in HDR mode all the time. If you want to do that you'll likely have to enable HDR in the monitor also.

Last edited by videoh; 19th November 2021 at 17:51.
Old 19th November 2021, 18:10   #12  |  Link
gispos

Thanks for the answers.

4K?, great, operate a 4K monitor with 150% (32 inch) or even 175% (27 inch) Windows zoom and thus destroy all the sharpness.
I would like to operate a monitor in native resolution, and so far 24 inches and FHD have been the perfect combination for me.

My normal distance to the monitor is about 110 cm (43 zoll) but there is still space to the rear.
Now I'm going to cut a piece of cardboard to the size of a 32 inch display and test the whole thing.

So my decision can still take a while.

@StainlessS, the Samsung is 4K and has no height adjustment (which is very important to me).
I also have a 17 and 19 inch 4:3 monitor, at the 19 inch I am currently writing these lines.
Old 19th November 2021, 18:49   #13  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gispos View Post
4K?, great, operate a 4K monitor with 150% (32 inch) or even 175% (27 inch) Windows zoom and thus destroy all the sharpness.
No, it does not destroy the sharpness! It only makes windows render windows things larger.
Old 19th November 2021, 20:11   #14  |  Link
gispos

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
No, it does not destroy the sharpness! It only makes windows render windows things larger.
Earlier it came to blurring if the monitor was not operated in native resolution, ok, with windows scaling only the windows elements are drawn larger.
And the text doesn't get blurred either?

But what bothers me is that Full HD is then a mouse cinema and has to be zoomed 200% in order to display the same visible dimension.
Whoa, that can take time with the new monitor...
Old 19th November 2021, 20:40   #15  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gispos View Post
And the text doesn't get blurred either?
Of course not.

Quote:
But what bothers me is that Full HD is then a mouse cinema and has to be zoomed 200% in order to display the same visible dimension.
Whoa, that can take time with the new monitor...
Yeah, that 480i stuff looks terrible on an FHD monitor too, right?

SIGN language: the N is need to be right.
Old 19th November 2021, 21:46   #16  |  Link
gispos

Quote:
Of course not.

Yeah, that 480i stuff looks terrible on an FHD monitor too, right?

SIGN language: the N is need to be right.
Right, but I don't have 480 stuff, but a lot of FHD
Old 19th November 2021, 22:10   #17  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
@StainlessS, the Samsung is 4K and has no height adjustment (which is very important to me).
I also have a 17 and 19 inch 4:3 monitor, at the 19 inch I am currently writing these lines
Yeah, my current monitor dont have height adjustment except for the old 386 [or maybe 486] half case
that is stands upon ( shaped like an '[' and also had another case part the same shape which slotted together created a box - about 1/16 inch thick steel, pretty solid),
a coupla books or an orange box would also achieve the desired result. [but maybe's I gets me one of them there things with lots of arms, they look great].
EDIT: The one I ordered looks like its got a VESA whotsit.

Last edited by StainlessS; 19th November 2021 at 22:13.
Old 20th November 2021, 10:51   #18  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Hope you enjoy it. You'll probably have to increase your windows scale value (I use 225%), otherwise things will look tiny. There is a downside in that some apps' layouts don't work well at these larger scales. They seem few and far between in my experience and I can live with it. Let us know how you like your new monitor.

You can enable HDR in windows and then you'll be able to play UHD HDR titles directly without having to convert them to SDR. You'll also then see some pleasing new colors in windows that have been hidden from you in SDR. If you enable HDR, you'll want to adjust the windows SDR brightness slider to your liking. I run in HDR mode all the time. If you want to do that you'll likely have to enable HDR in the monitor also.
Thanks for the tips, most appreciated.
I have had cause to change (150%) Windows Scale before on my 7" and 8" tablets [linx 7 and linx 8, 1280x800 16:10], and it dont always work well for everything.
Particularly irritating when a dialog box become just too big for the screen and title bar is non accessible off the top of screen, where need to make taskbar
disappear to be able to reach it.
My ordered monitor might take a little while longer than originally expected, I got a text from Amazon and text and automated phone call from bank saying
that purchase was declined and card blocked due to several non usual purchases, card now cleared but not sure how long it will take for Amazon to
re-debit my card and process the order. It seems that it might have been already cleared as soon as I answered some security questions from bank,
but Amazon has given no further info on progress other than to say it will re-attempt "re-debit card several times over the next few days".
"Track Package" thingy still says delivery by Monday, but it said that before I was told purchase was declined, so no change,
a bit more of a confirmation form amazon would be nice.

Quote:
EDIT: What limitations come with 4 ms Response Time ?
Pretty good explanation of response time here:- https://www.onecomputerguy.com/1ms-vs-5ms
I dont think I need be concerned at all about it (and 4ms seems pretty usual especially for IPS).

EDIT: I'm probably gonna want one of these too soon:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invision-Er...91ZK3DPV&psc=1
but will try find something similar at a better price. ['better' meaning cheaper - and maybe with 3 arms for 3rd monitor ]
EDIT: Actually, with one of those I maybe could have had enough space for a 32" screen and kept my 2nd monitor.
EDIT: Bank account now debited, everything on-track.

Last edited by StainlessS; 20th November 2021 at 11:15.
Old 20th November 2021, 11:20   #19  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
In a monitor with 5ms, this action will be completed five times slower than a 1ms monitor. Of course, all of this happens in the course of milliseconds, so you won’t notice much of a difference.
Wow, those guys are really on the ball!
Old 20th November 2021, 11:36   #20  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

As screen refresh rate is 60FPS, so changes every 1/60 secs = ~16ms, so I dont really see any major
drawback to 4ms response time - gamers seem to think it makes some difference but I'm
guessin that a man on a galloping horse would not notice.