Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 23rd January 2016, 18:40   #13821  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by osso123 View Post
Or maybe you named the files wrong?
I only renamed the ac3 (osso) because I make other encodes to AC3 (with Aften and ffmpeg) with the same result.

The DTS remain with the same name downloaded (orig).

Maybe the problem is your Audacity decoders.
I decoded the compressed formats (out of Audacity) to wavs, and only load in Audacity decompressed wav files.

I decoded the DTS with eac3to using libdcadec and ArcSoft and both show the same problem. The AC3 decoded with eac3to libav.

Try using that method because your DTS spectrogram seems limited to 300 Hz, but mine go until 3000 Hz and more, and I don't see problems with AC3 spectrogram (like you show in video) also until 3000 Hz.

EDIT:
Using my Audacity decoders (ffmpeg-win-2.2.2), both spectrograms go until 3000 Hz but seems fine:
The DTS don't have high harmonics and the AC3 is equal to the DTS without the problems in your video.

Last edited by tebasuna51; 23rd January 2016 at 19:01. Reason: Add info
Old 23rd January 2016, 21:22   #13822  |  Link
an3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Lossy audio doesn't have a fixed bitdepth.
Bitrate = the number of samples per second. For lossless audio bitdepth = the range of values that can be assigned to any one of those samples. For 8 bit it's 256, for 16 bit it's 65,536 and for 24 bit it's 16,777,216.
Oh, I thought (for lossless audio) kHz defines how much samples per second are taken and Bit depth how many values each sample stores. And I thought AC-3 would work like eg. x264 which keeps the bitrate low when there is no content to encode. So in short AC-3 is like MP3 CBR?!

Quote:
I'd assume because the DTS-HD audio is lossless the bitdepth is known. For your example it was originally 16 bit, it was encoded at 16 bit, and eac3to decoded it as 16 bit and fed that to the AC3 encoder. DTS-HD supports 24 bit lossless, but it appears you have 16 bit DTS-HD.
I have other files. Some with 24-Bit DTS-HD and 16-Bit DTS Core, some with 16-Bit DTS-HD and 24-Bit Core and last but not least 16-Bit/16-Bit as well as 24-Bit/24-Bit. I just re-checked with MediaInfo and even for (lossy) DTS I get a Bitdepth shown.

Quote:
It's kind of like converting a 16 bit wave file to a 16 bit flac file and then back to a 16 bit wave file again. Nothing is lost, and in your first example you've effectively converted that second wave file to AC3.

Lossy audio can be decoded to any fixed bitdepth. The greater the bitdepth, the more accurately it can be decoded. eac3to decodes the lossy DTS core, which has no fixed bitdepth, to a fixed bitdepth of 24 bits.
It's kind of like converting a 16 bit wave file to an MP3 and then decoding the MP3 to a 24 bit wave file. What was lost during the MP3 conversion is gone forever despite the output bitdepth being greater.
Yeah, that is the part I already knew. I ripped my Audio-CDs with the Fraunhofer MP3 codec when it was leaked back then and still do some re-encodings today from CD to FLAC. Also read (and understood = the important part ) https://www.highresaudio.com/texte.php?ca_id=92

One last question: In http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=27131 I read that based on the bitrate AC-3 limits the available frequency range, eg. 256 kbps up to 12 kHz, 384 kbps up to 18 kHz and 448 kbps or higher with full 20 kHz. Is that true? I thought that a 2 channel 224 kbps AC-3 has a better quality per channel than a 6 channel 640 kbps AC-3. Maybe I should just go with 640 regardless of the amount of channels?
Old 23rd January 2016, 23:51   #13823  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by an3k View Post
So in short AC-3 is like MP3 CBR?!
More or less, yes.

Quote:
I have other files. Some with 24-Bit DTS-HD and 16-Bit DTS Core, some with 16-Bit DTS-HD and 24-Bit Core and last but not least 16-Bit/16-Bit as well as 24-Bit/24-Bit. I just re-checked with MediaInfo and even for (lossy) DTS I get a Bitdepth shown.
Lossy DTS (Core) don't have bitdepth, and MediaInfo is wrong when show that info (and others infos).

Quote:
I read that based on the bitrate AC-3 limits the available frequency range, eg. 256 kbps up to 12 kHz, 384 kbps up to 18 kHz and 448 kbps or higher with full 20 kHz. Is that true?
Is a encoder option, but is recommended for 5.1.

For 2.0: 112 Kb/s up to 12.4 KHz, 160 Kb/s up to 15.8 KHz, 192 Kb/s or higer up to 20.3 KHz
Old 24th January 2016, 22:02   #13824  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

In general, without auxiliary specifications, you can use AC3 in VBR mode too (I believe Aften supported that). But there are consumer media specifications (e.g. "DVD Video") which require CBR audio streams. AC3 can, but is not allowed to under certain circumstances.

For audio formats with a good "channel coupling" (known as "Mid/Side" encoding for MP3 which supports stereo at most, but it can be handled in a similar way for more channels too), there is a theorem that the bitrate shall be in relation to the square root of the number of full frequency channels to achieve similar quality. It usually works quite well for AC3, comparing a 2.0 bitrate as √2 times a theoretical base mono bitrate with a 5.1 bitrate as √5 times the same theoretical base mono bitrate. Depending on the content.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
Old 25th January 2016, 11:06   #13825  |  Link
an3k

Thank you very much both of you for your time explaining that stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
More or less, yes.

Lossy DTS (Core) don't have bitdepth, and MediaInfo is wrong when show that info (and others infos).
Jeez, I thought that at least this tool does it right. I used GSpot some years ago and was told it shows wrong information and that I should use MediaInfo instead. Is there a tool that shows the information correctly?

Quote:
Is a encoder option, but is recommended for 5.1.

For 2.0: 112 Kb/s up to 12.4 KHz, 160 Kb/s up to 15.8 KHz, 192 Kb/s or higer up to 20.3 KHz
Overall bitrate I guess!?!

I found

but to be honest I didn't understood much. So to be on the "save side" (=no frequency limiting) one should use at least 448 kbps for 5.1 or 192 kbps for 2.0?!? For 4.0 do I just have to double the bitrate of 2.0 and for mono just halve it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
In general, without auxiliary specifications, you can use AC3 in VBR mode too (I believe Aften supported that). But there are consumer media specifications (e.g. "DVD Video") which require CBR audio streams. AC3 can, but is not allowed to under certain circumstances.
Good to know VBR is possible. But that would not increase quality but only create smaller files because AC-3 is limited to 640 kbps and even VBR will not exceed this?!

Quote:
For audio formats with a good "channel coupling" (known as "Mid/Side" encoding for MP3 which supports stereo at most, but it can be handled in a similar way for more channels too), there is a theorem that the bitrate shall be in relation to the square root of the number of full frequency channels to achieve similar quality. It usually works quite well for AC3, comparing a 2.0 bitrate as √2 times a theoretical base mono bitrate with a 5.1 bitrate as √5 times the same theoretical base mono bitrate. Depending on the content.
I believe I think I understood this ... EDIT: After some testing I know I did not. English + mathematical terms aren't my hobby
Old 25th January 2016, 11:31   #13826  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

It just means: To have 5.x sound as good as 2.0 at e.g. 224 kbps, you don't need 5/2 times the bitrate (224*5/2=560, next closest available block bitrate would be 576 kbps), but only about √5/√2 times as much (224*√5/√2~354 kbps, next closest available block bitrate would be 384 kbps). Well, channel coupling isn't really that good (the more channels, the more an accurate phase angle is important to avoid flanging effects). A 384 kbps discrete 5.1 AC3 sounds not certainly as good as a comparable 224 kbps ProLogic 2.0 AC3, better to have 448 kbps. And 640 kbps is even ... "generous", in comparison.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
Old 25th January 2016, 13:28   #13827  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
...I should use MediaInfo instead. Is there a tool that shows the information correctly?
MediaInfo is wrong when show:
Bit depth : 24 bits
The real info contained in the DTS header field is:
Source PCM Resolution : 24

That is, the bitdepth of the PCM source (WAV or equivalent) used to encode the DTS.

When encode, the PCM samples in time domain are converted to float samples in frequency domain, and someones are discarded in lossy encodes (by frecuency cutoff or low values) to fit in the bitrate assigned.

At this moment the bitdepth of the source have no meaning at all.

Even some encoders put always 24 in this header field, no mather the source was 16 bits.
Also eac3to, when extract DTS's, put always 24 in this field, thats force some decoders (than read this field) to output at least 24 bit.

For all that we need forget the bitdepth info of lossy encodes.
Only DTS have this info field, all other lossy encoders don't show that irrelevant info.

Quote:
So to be on the "save side" (=no frequency limiting) one should use at least 448 kbps for 5.1 or 192 kbps for 2.0?!?
Yep, but remember than high frequency limit is not the unique quality parameter.

Like I say before some samples in frequency domain must be discarded to fit in the bitrate, if aren't by frequency must be by low values and lose precission.

Quote:
Good to know VBR is possible.
Possible but not compatible with all players.

Before than try AC3 VBR I recommend AAC or MP3 VBR for 2.0
For 5.1 you can try AAC or E-AC3 (maybe a player than support AC3 VBR support also E-AC3 much better)
Old 26th January 2016, 11:21   #13828  |  Link
an3k

Quote:
Quote:
Now I understand how it works. Thank you both very much for not letting me die stupid

One last quick question: Is there an easy way to strip the EX out of a "AC3 EX, 5.1 channels, 2:23:11, 640kbps, 48kHz" source? Currently I convert to WAV then back to AC3 and in that process (and only then) I get Reducing depth from 64 to 24 bits... (64 bit AC-3 file?! Interesting ) as well as Clipping detected, a 2nd pass will be necessary.
Old 26th January 2016, 16:02   #13829  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Is there an easy way to strip the EX out of a "AC3 EX, 5.1 channels, 2:23:11, 640kbps, 48kHz" source?
The EX in AC3 is not related with next questions.

It say: "There are a Back Center channel mixed in surround channels"
Like DTS-ES 5.1 matrixed.

Quote:
I get Reducing depth from 64 to 24 bits...
The AC3 decoder output PCM samples 64 bits float, then is downconverted to 24 bits int because is enough precission for PCM from a lossy encode.

You can use the parameter -full to output the 64 bits float PCM.

Quote:
as well as Clipping detected, a 2nd pass will be necessary.
Sometimes the decoder output go over 0dB than can't be downconverted to 24 int without clip peaks.

You can use the parameter -no2ndpass to avoid the second pass.

Is, more or less, safe because peaks over 0dB can only be imperfections of lossy encoder/decoder. The original source can't have peaks over 0dB.
Old 30th January 2016, 14:25   #13830  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

The German (3D) BD of Inside Out (seamless branching) has a EAC3 7.1 stream with 896kbps and which has as embedded core stream AC3 5.1 with 512kbps. I want to extract just that ac3 core as it is without any reencoding. but when I do with the cmd "eac3to 1) X: C:\stream.ac3" (which should be the ac3 equivalent to extracting a DTS core from a DTS-HD MA track) then eac3to says decoding with libav/ffmpeg and encoding AC3 <640kbps> with libAften, so the stream gets indeed reencoded. same with the same cmd line and "-core" in addtion.

edit: Ive found the .ec3 -core information, but it would be nice if this could be documented within eac3to as well.

editē: why is it actually .ec3 -core here and not just .ac3 -core? that would make more sense compared to how it works with .dts

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 30th January 2016 at 21:07.
Old 31st January 2016, 17:24   #13831  |  Link
BigPines

Sadly, the PC I had eac3to perfectly set-up on and my backup drive were both destroyed in a single catastrophic event.

I am trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together and it is tough to say the least. I recall that years ago I spent days trying to get the perfect install of eac3to and all of it's dependencies but it has been so long, I can't recall everything necessary to get back there. This thread is so long now that I am having trouble finding up-to-date info on this. Could someone point me to the most relevant installation instructions for the best possible install of this wonderful tool and all it's dependencies? I am looking for which versions of the dependencies to use and how to install only what I need to make it work in the highest quality possible and nothing else. Thanks in advance!
Old 31st January 2016, 18:33   #13832  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

I think that what comes to decoding, currently you are fine with whatever is included in the eac3to package (apart from AAC decoding). Dcadec and libav will handle everything else except AAC, which apparently needs the Nero Directshow decoder.

What comes to encoding, I personally prefer to either decode to WAV and encode that in a separate encoder or pipe to the encoder directly.
Old 1st February 2016, 01:04   #13833  |  Link
BigPines

I only use the decoding. Looks like I need Nero for sure and probably ArcSoft too. Trying to get it going.
Old 1st February 2016, 04:45   #13834  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

You don't need ArcSoft at all, dcadec can handle everything it does.
Old 1st February 2016, 04:50   #13835  |  Link
BigPines

My understanding is Nero Lite will work but I have installed Nero Lite 7.11.10.0 and I still get the message that Nero Audio Decoder is not installed. I guess I'll try something else.

Last edited by BigPines; 1st February 2016 at 05:06.
Old 1st February 2016, 08:13   #13836  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

You could always pipe to QAAC. Something that still gets updates.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Old 1st February 2016, 19:44   #13837  |  Link
BigPines

I finally think I have eac3to going as best I can. I decided to get it going with as many features as possible since my prior install was fully functional. Again, my goal was to make as light an install as possible with the most features and the best components.

Seems like it has been a while since someone posted the steps for a complete install so I am posting this in the hopes it will save someone else some time. A couple of notes:

- I was unable to obtain Sonic Cinemaster Audio Decoder 4.3 so installation of that component is not covered below.
- I was unable to figure out how to register only the required library(s) for Haali Media Splitter so below describes a full install.
- I was unable to figure out how to register only the required library(s) for Nero so below describes a full install. I tried what is described in the following thread but I kept getting errors trying to regsvr32 the libraries so I gave up: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...97#post1396997
- I was unable to figure out how to register only the required library(s) for SurCode DTS Encoder so below describes a full install.

If someone wants to help make this better and has information on how I can accomplish any of the shortfalls listed above, I am interested.

Setting Up eac3to on Windows 7 x64:

1) Download the latest eac3to from here: http://madshi.net/eac3to.zip

The link is also in the first post at the beginning of this thread.

2) Copy the eac3to directory to "C:\Program Files (x86)\"

3) Copy the necessary ArcSoft DLLs into the eac3to directory.

If you need these dlls, checkactivate.dll comes from ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater 2.x. The rest of the files come from ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater 6.x. Install ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater 6.x and harvest the DLLs from here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 6\MagCore.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 6\MagPCMac.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 6\MagUIEngine.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 6\MagUIInter.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 6\Codec\ASAudioHD.ax
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 6\Codec\DtsDec.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 6\Codec\dtsdecoderdll.dll

Place the DLLs in the eac3to directory. Uninstall ArcSoft once you have the DLLs.

4) Run the following in the Command Prompt AS ADMINISTRATOR:

regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\eac3to\ASAudioHD.ax"

5) Copy neroAacEnc.exe into the eac3to directory.

If you need to get this, download free from: http://www.nero.com/eng/company/abou...-aac-codec.php. After unzipping, harvest the .exe from: \NeroAACCodec-1.5.1.zip\win32\neroAacEnc.exe

6) Install Haali Media Splitter. It can be downloaded free from: https://haali.su/mkv/

7) Install Surcode DVD Pro DTS Encoder v1.0.29

8) Install Nero 7.11.10.0 Micro/Lite

Go to Start->All Programs->Nero->Setup->Nero ProductSetup.

On the Left hand side click the Key icon which says License and enter the appropriate HD Audio serial numbers.
Old 1st February 2016, 19:51   #13838  |  Link
Snowknight26

Just because eac3to tells you that a component is missing doesn't mean it's required. The ArcSoft DTS decoder, for example, is essentially unneeded.
Old 1st February 2016, 23:09   #13839  |  Link
BigPines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
Just because eac3to tells you that a component is missing doesn't mean it's required. The ArcSoft DTS decoder, for example, is essentially unneeded.
Unless you run into low bitrate or extension for secondary audio DTS streams. Why not configure it just in case?

Last edited by BigPines; 1st February 2016 at 23:12.
Old 2nd February 2016, 00:21   #13840  |  Link
Snowknight26

Because the chances of that happening and you needing to convert it are so low that you'll spend more time getting eac3to to recognize every other program than necessary, but to each their own I guess.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to