Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 9th December 2018, 05:32   #1  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Time to buy a new 4K HDR TV (PQ/HLG/DolbyVision)

Hi,
it's actually time for me to get rid of my old FULL HD Samsung LED that I bought many years ago and buy a brand new UHD TV.
The reason why I waited so long is that there was a bit of uncertainty around 4K TVs when they first came around: some were SDR only, some didn't support PQ, some other did support PQ but didn't support HLG and some others supported both but not Dolby Vision.
Ideally, I'd like a 50'' that supports PQ, HLG and Dolby Vision and that has a decent amount of nits.
In the studio I work for, we master everything to 1'000 nits, 'cause it's pretty much the standard nowadays, but I noticed that there are some other studios that do the mastering at 5'000 nits (if I recall correctly, Blade Runner has 5'000 nits, for instance).
In other words, I'd like to have something that has at least 1'000 nits.
I don't like the pictures produced by standard edge lit LCD screens, Plasma is pretty much dead nowadays and I've been watching contents through a LED TV with a full array backlight for years, that's why I wanted to go for an OLED at first, however it seems that OLED panels emit a certain amount of power themselves, which is why manufacturers can't go very high with nits (the best OLED I've found had around 800 nits) compared to LCDs.

What's your suggestion? (No curved, no 3D pls).
My budget is 1500€-2000€.

Last edited by FranceBB; 9th December 2018 at 06:59.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2018, 14:09   #2  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

I would probably go for Samsung Q8F or Sony X900F. I personally have a Sony X900E (65") and I do like it a lot. No Dolby Vision but that F model should support it after last June's firmware update.

Take a look at this list, could be helpful when you start looking deeper: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/flatscreen
Old 9th December 2018, 14:43   #3  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
....Ideally, I'd like a 50'' that supports PQ, HLG and Dolby Vision and that has a decent amount of nits.
Just-so-you-know...

The smallest screen size available that offers support for Dolby Vision and HLG HDR have 49" LED panels, such as the LG 49SK8000PLA, the LG 49SK8100PLA and the 49SK8500PLA.

Cheers

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 9th December 2018 at 14:47.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 00:10   #4  |  Link
gonca

https://www.vizio.com/en-ca/tvs/e50f2.html
https://www.vizio.com/en-ca/tvs/p55f1.html
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote