Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th November 2018, 23:04   #53761  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
I have been working away for a bit, and have lost track of what is happening with madVR in the AVS forum, it just seems to be confusing graphs and the likes for a long time.

It looks like madshi has dropped out of the conversation as such, is this getting there, as I said all rather confusing on what is happening apart from everyone measuring their movies for NIT settings and fancy apps to display that info ?
I think madshi is buttoning up a new release right now so things have slowed down in the AVS thread. As mentioned, we'll probably see it in the next couple weeks hopefully.

Those graphs/tools are being used by the guys/gals looking to do profiles for the HDR content to try to get better dynamic out of their displays. A lot of them are using displays with very low nits (projectors some with 50 nits max) so they're trying to find ways to squeeze out every last bit of detail they can. All of that is just people waiting on the next step in the HDR tonemapping progression while madshi pushes out a new official build. It's making them happy, but, you can safely ignore it for now as when madshi is at a "final solution" none of that should be necessary.
Old 29th November 2018, 00:45   #53762  |  Link
austinminton

Quote:
Originally Posted by curael View Post
OM*G! Boys! FSE gives me smooth playback on the RTX 2080. THANK YOU SO MUCH! ����
Glad to hear that sorted out your issue. Not really encountering any issues in FSE and am happy to live with it.

Edit: After reading brazen1's post on FSE, I would like to do more testing. But have to say did not notice any big difference in PQ after FSE was enabled. Maybe I was focused too much on the stuttering.

Last edited by austinminton; 29th November 2018 at 01:00.
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 04:56   #53763  |  Link
austinminton

I see no difference in FSE and FS windowed. Even showrendersteps has the same steps in both. I do get stuttering when switching from FSE to FS windowed but that is related to the queues flushing out. Everything goes back to normal once queues are full. GPU load is about the same in both as well.

Quite happy with FSE on my 2080 ti.
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 08:48   #53764  |  Link
actarusfleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
  • Set the HDMI video range to Full or whatever Sony projectors call this setting to send RGB Full;
All the chian is in "full range" mode. Also the Sony projector.

Quote:
  • Disable highlight recovery strength in madVR to reduce the amount of image processing;
it was already disabled in my past tests.

Quote:
  • Find a scene with some banding and try considerably higher or lower target peak nits to see if the banding changes at all.
The banding changes. It "moves" into image but the banding amount is the same. Nits level in MadVr was 250. I moved to 100 and to 500 and the global amout of banding is still the same.

Quote:
Your projector might also have issues with RGB inputs compared to YCbCr.
This is the real point!
Yesterday I've done the following test:
Hooked up my HTPC to my LG OLED 65C8 tv.
When connected to this display into NVIDIA control panel (I've a GTX970) the option to send RGB@24hz 12bpc appears.
When the htpc was hooked up with Sony VW520ES projector the nvidia control panel only give me the possibility to connect me in RGB@24hz 8bpc.... I imagine that's because the sony projector has only hdmi ports @9Gbps.

Anyway first I've set nvidia control panel to work in RGB@24hz 8bpc. Set Madvr to see the display only 8bit compatible and activated ordered dithering.
The bandings that normally I can see on the Sony projector are vanished on Lg tv.

So this is the prove that Madvr works well in 8bit mode and what I've seen was only a problem of my sony pj with RGB signal input.

After this test I've set nvidia control panel to RGB@24hz 12bpc.
I've setted Madvr to ask to the display the bit depth.
Leaved ordered dithering.

When I've played my UHD HDR10 files I've seen (in full exclusive mode) madvr works in 10bit domain.

I've tested my reference scenes and bandings are not there. Sincerely I can't see any difference between my chain @8bit.

So my question is: With displays that accepts RGB@24hz 12bpc ... What is the best theorical setting?

is it better to set nvidia cp and madvr @8bit? or it's better to set the nividia cp@ 12bpc and madvr@10bit?

let me know.
Thanks
actarusfleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 14:45   #53765  |  Link
Warner306

It should work well at madVR 10-bit and Nvidia 12-bit RGB.

Did you compare straight HDR passthrough?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 19:46   #53766  |  Link
svensonson

Hi guys,

first post first question

I set up madvr a while ago and it was working fine for me. not sure what I`ve done to my settings yet but madvr is not autmatically switching resolution on my 4k display. I have added all 2160p resolutions in the madvr and made sure the settings for auto switching are enabled in madvr. but for some reason it does not switch the screenmodes automatically... it just to work fine. not sure which setting I might have screwed up

thanks for help
svensonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 21:48   #53767  |  Link
actarusfleed

Quote:
It should work well at madVR 10-bit and Nvidia 12-bit RGB.

Did you compare straight HDR passthrough?
Yes, I've tried also to set madvr (and windows) to pass hdr as is but on an RGB signal and the bandings still remain.

This Sony projector has problems with RGB input signal...

Inviato dal mio SM-N960F utilizzando Tapatalk
actarusfleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 22:38   #53768  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by svensonson View Post
Hi guys,

first post first question

I set up madvr a while ago and it was working fine for me. not sure what I`ve done to my settings yet but madvr is not autmatically switching resolution on my 4k display. I have added all 2160p resolutions in the madvr and made sure the settings for auto switching are enabled in madvr. but for some reason it does not switch the screenmodes automatically... it just to work fine. not sure which setting I might have screwed up

thanks for help
Link a pic of your madVR auto display modes settings. Is auto switching turned off in your player since madVR is controlling them? This is exactly what should be entered in madVR:

2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p30, 2160p50, 2160p59, 2160p60

When playback starts and when media is closed are the only two settings.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2018, 10:02   #53769  |  Link
cremor

For everyone that uses the GeForce driver 417.01:
NVidia released a hotfix driver 417.21 and one fix could be important for you: "Can't apply color format after updating to driver 417.01"
cremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2018, 10:29   #53770  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremor View Post
For everyone that uses the GeForce driver 417.01:
NVidia released a hotfix driver 417.21 and one fix could be important for you: "Can't apply color format after updating to driver 417.01"
Depends, I think most people use Full instead of Limited, all this hot fix did was allow Limited to work again.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...24386/#5924386

It is quite scary how much they break things in drivers nowadays, I gave up downloading them, there are no gains if you do not play games, and indeed more chance of new problems that should not happen.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2018, 11:49   #53771  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

That old saying; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.
Old 30th November 2018, 11:51   #53772  |  Link
cremor

Thanks for the clarification madjock. I thought this is about bitdepth, which would have been more important.
Old 30th November 2018, 22:46   #53773  |  Link
mclingo

just been having a look again at how MADVR deals with really poorly mastered and heavily compressed material. This clip is horrific on OLED but what is odd is that the only option that does anything at all to mask some of the problems is the debanding filter, random noise and compression artefcts do nothing at all even on 14 with the macro blocking which makes me wonder what these are actually doing, they just seems to blur the entire screen for me.

debanding on high does a reasonable job of masking the major issues that a crush doesnt fix but damages the over all PQ shaprness quite badly.

Does anyone use reduce random noise / compression artefacts, if not then maybe we could scrap these and have something that specifically targets dark low IRE areas and shadow like what was suggested a couple of pages back.

I really think this should be given some dev time by MADSHI when he's got HDR up to scratch as more people are getting OLEDs and there is just so much poorly mastered material out there.

clip:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgvFafeelEBigP96N4PQZzBs4iPcfg

I know you cant polish a turd but MADSHI could maybe spray some MADVR fairy dust on it and make it smell nice.
Old 1st December 2018, 00:24   #53774  |  Link
ryrynz

Oh yeah a setting for denoising independant of standard denoising for a customizable range would be very nice.

Last edited by ryrynz; 1st December 2018 at 00:27.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 02:05   #53775  |  Link
kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
just been having a look again at how MADVR deals with really poorly mastered and heavily compressed material. This clip is horrific on OLED but what is odd is that the only option that does anything at all to mask some of the problems is the debanding filter, random noise and compression artefcts do nothing at all even on 14 with the macro blocking which makes me wonder what these are actually doing, they just seems to blur the entire screen for me.

debanding on high does a reasonable job of masking the major issues that a crush doesnt fix but damages the over all PQ shaprness quite badly.

Does anyone use reduce random noise / compression artefacts, if not then maybe we could scrap these and have something that specifically targets dark low IRE areas and shadow like what was suggested a couple of pages back.

I really think this should be given some dev time by MADSHI when he's got HDR up to scratch as more people are getting OLEDs and there is just so much poorly mastered material out there.

clip:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgvFafeelEBigP96N4PQZzBs4iPcfg

I know you cant polish a turd but MADSHI could maybe spray some MADVR fairy dust on it and make it smell nice.
Exactly what I have been thinking and trying lately with madvr and my oled. I was trying all kinds of settings combinations but nothing helps,,, Reduce Random Noise might help but the value "1" is too strong , we need values between 0-1 and it could use a bit fine tunning.

It could be great if there was a high quality noise reduction + option to apply it on near black zones in a scene...
Old 1st December 2018, 03:34   #53776  |  Link
huhn

yeah like noise is the problem in this video.

time to write a denoiser for 16x16 macro blocks surrounded by literal nothing this surely will fix the issue...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 09:59   #53777  |  Link
Ampallang

Hi because I am still on a gtx 960 4g which delivers a great picture via madvr on Lg oled and after tweaking some settings (thx to the feedback of the community) and match refresh rates in madvr it is even more hard to think about a gpu upgrade.
My Favorit will be a gtx 1070ti but I am also looking into the amd section rx 580 up to vega 64
Could be possible but I think more than a vega 56 won't be possible without changing the power supply.
So my question is can some rx 580 user tell me what the highest settings are possible to use within madvr for upscaling DVD and blu-ray to 4k output. I am using an LG oled which is calibrated and 3d lut in madvr.
Price of the rx 580 is nowadays amazing and for the 1070 ti I was to slow to catch them at a good offer. I want also the gpu upgrade not only for madvr but I do some video editing and could also get some benefits on a stronger gpu.
Brgds
Ampa

Last edited by Ampallang; 1st December 2018 at 10:01.
Ampallang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 10:20   #53778  |  Link
ryrynz

Even given the low prices for the Rx580 now you'd probably still be better off with a 1060 6GB for madVR, if you're doing more than that then sure the RX580 is more worthy of consideration.

Last edited by ryrynz; 1st December 2018 at 10:23.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 13:34   #53779  |  Link
cremor

I've recently bought a G-Sync monitor and now have a small problem and hope that someone can help me.
Although I'm not using fullscreen exclusive mode I get a short black flicker when I switch between windowed and fullscreen windowed mode. It seems like my monitor is switching G-Sync off when entering fullscreen windowed and switching it on again when leaving it - at least that's what its OSD says. This is especially annoying since it also happens when the seek bar is shown or hidden.

I'm using MPC-BE as player, but the problem does not happen with EVR-CP, so it seems to be madVR specific.

I've already configured the Nvidia driver to not use G-Sync for MPC-BE and this also had an effect (madVR shows the "normal" refresh rates - before they were way different), but doesn't seem to be enough?

My madVR settings:

* Fullscreen exclusive mode off
* D3D11 for presentation
* Native D3D11 decoding with LAV

My Nvidia settings:

* G-Sync globally on for fullscreen and windowed modes (I need this for games - it seems like it's not possible to globally disable it and just enable it for specific games)
* Added MPC-BE for custom application settings and configured it to use fixed refresh rates instead of G-Sync

Anyone an idea how to fix this?
In other words, how do I completely disable G-Sync for MPC-BE/madVR while keeping it active for games?

Last edited by cremor; 1st December 2018 at 13:55.
Old 1st December 2018, 15:31   #53780  |  Link
ashlar42

Curious about how future Dolby Vision could work for HTPCs.

As far as I understand things, I think Profile 5 support is more likely to come. That "fuses" the two layers used on BluRay UHD in a single video stream, for the TV to interpret. That's what Apple TV 4K uses, if I'm not mistaken.
We currently can rip BD UHD and keep Dolby Vision, but it's Profile 4. I guess that would require a change in mkvtoolnix to have mkv handle two video streams concurrently. But then something would need to put the two streams together, right?

My question is: at what stage would this "fusion" need to happen? Decoder? Renderer? So, basically, would it be a job for LAV or madVR?
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling