Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 9th August 2015, 18:58   #32481  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I have a CIH setup myself, so don't worry, I'll put the detection to good use in the near future. For now I'd just like some feedback about whether the detection works reliably.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 19:03   #32482  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it works on my hd 4400 and it should work on intel in general. i'm running 10.18.15.4256.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeno View Post
What are the requirements for running overlay mode? I have an NVIDIA GTX 860M running the latest drivers on windows 8.1 but madVR reports that these don't support overlay mode.
I have just upgraded both intel and nvidia drivers:
- intel : 10.18.10.4176 -> 10.18.10.4226 (there's no newer driver for HD4000 not like for yours )
- nvidia: 347.88 -> 353.62

Results by selecting Overlay mode:
- intel: black picture (no report of "doesn't support"), no osd, but there's sound (with the previous driver there wasn't any sound) -> so I consider it as a bogus driver version
- nvidia: still no overlay support

Quote:
it does try to automatically detect black bars encoded into the movie.
Woow!!!

Last edited by chros; 9th August 2015 at 19:08.
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 19:16   #32483  |  Link
naomatrix

Currently MadVR does not work with Bluesky Frame Rate Converter (http://bluesky23.yukishigure.com/BlueskyFRC.html), or not ?
I could not run their joint work in Windows 8.1, green screen always got, but running with EVR. As I understand that, MadVR does not accept RGB32 input, but can not switch to another stream output format in BFRC.
Bluesky Frame Rate Converter lets you watch 60 fps smooth video using the AMD Fluid Motion on AMD graphics cards in the player MPC-HC,BE,Pot.
naomatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 19:19   #32484  |  Link
Anima123

I didn't get the black-bar detection, will it include videos actually 16:9 encoded as 4:3, by adding black bars up and down the video content area?
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 20:03   #32485  |  Link
DarkSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
This test build doesn't really do anything "useful" yet. But it does try to automatically detect black bars encoded into the movie. If detection succeeds, the detected "active video area" is marked with a thin green rectangle.
Nice idea, but one thing to consider: How will you handle partially overscanned video (some scenes have black bars, some scenes use the full image)? I should guess that you can't reliably detect such a situation, and even then, the treatment of such things may vary depending on the content.
For example, the content could be a compilation of unrelated videos, some of which have an aspect ratio different from 4:3 / 16:9. In that case, you'd probably want to crop each "segment" individually.
Then again, there could be a case (I've only seen this once, and I don't remember where right now) where the black bars appear to be completely useless, until a color inversion happens in the video - and they turn white! I think this would be one of those misdetections you mentioned, because this example's black bars actually hold information.

Just food for thought, rather now than later when you need to rewrite half of your logic...
DarkSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 20:29   #32486  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
I have a CIH setup myself, so don't worry, I'll put the detection to good use in the near future. For now I'd just like some feedback about whether the detection works reliably.
Great, I'll take a look and I'll report if it works with my usual test movies for various A/R.

By the way, I have a CIW, not a CIH setup (my screen is 16/9, so it's the height that varies, not the width). Hopefully you'll take this into account too, as it's a fairly common situation.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 20:45   #32487  |  Link
iSunrise

@madshi:
Black bar detection fails for me with these two encodes:

http://www.recordedamigagames.org/re...%20%28a%29.mp4
http://www.recordedamigagames.org/re...20%28a2%29.mp4

Not sure what's special about them, but most of the other files I did a quick test on worked fine.

PS: Seems deep linking is not allowed on that site, just paste the URL manually.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 21:02   #32488  |  Link
Manni

I've tested most of my usual movies for various A/R, here are the results:
1.33: pass
1.66: pass
1.85: pass
2.35: mixed. Some detected, others like The Notebook fail.
2:20: fail (Lawrence of Arabia).
2.40: pass

I tried The Dark Knight and it can take up to 6 seconds to detect the A/R change between the iMax scenes in 1.78 and the 2.35 scenes, so it's unlikely to be usable in a CIH setup.

Let me know if you need a short clip from the failed movies if you don't have them, I'll try to make a short clip from my blurays.
Old 9th August 2015, 21:30   #32489  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
I have just upgraded both intel and nvidia drivers:
- intel : 10.18.10.4176 -> 10.18.10.4226 (there's no newer driver for HD4000 not like for yours )
- nvidia: 347.88 -> 353.62

Results by selecting Overlay mode:
- intel: black picture (no report of "doesn't support"), no osd, but there's sound (with the previous driver there wasn't any sound) -> so I consider it as a bogus driver version
- nvidia: still no overlay support

Woow!!!
sounds like yet another optimus issue.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 21:51   #32490  |  Link
heiseikiseki

Quote:
sounds like yet another optimus issue.
Madvr Works Perfectly On OPTIMUS system here.(GTX860M+HD4400,both newest driver on windows 10)
On my computer the output port is on Intel Graphic but seems the high present time issue fixed when I upgrade to windows 10.(Need to set the
presented video frames to "2"(Present Time :0.89ms on FHD).Higher would cause the high present time(10ms on FHD), Lower would cause drop frames.)
heiseikiseki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 22:10   #32491  |  Link
huhn

doesn't sound perfect at all.
Old 9th August 2015, 22:10   #32492  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpace View Post
Nice idea, but one thing to consider: [...]
At this point I'm not looking for a discussion. I'd just like feedback on whether the detection as implemented in the test build works or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
Black bar detection fails for me with these two encodes: [...]

Not sure what's special about them, but most of the other files I did a quick test on worked fine.
What's special about them is that they have static parts (score bar) which have a couple of non-bright pixels in them at the borders. Furthermore the black bars are not symmetrical (bottom bar is bigger than top bar). The combination of these attributes makes madVR unsure about the detection. The detection really works best with typical video content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
2.35: mixed. Some detected, others like The Notebook fail.
2:20: fail (Lawrence of Arabia).
Samples for those fails would be helpful. Did they fail completely? Or did it just take a long time to detect? 2.20:1 is currently not in my list of "known" aspect ratios. Which means that madVR may wait an extra 10 seconds (or even an extra 30 seconds) on top of the usual time before detecting the black bars properly. But at some point detection should work. How long did you wait?

Quote:
I tried The Dark Knight and it can take up to 6 seconds to detect the A/R change between the iMax scenes in 1.78 and the 2.35 scenes
The change from 2.35 to 1.78 should be detected immediately. The change from 1.78 to 2.35 may take some time to detect, but I don't think that's a big problem, because you don't lose image content, you just see black bars for a few seconds. Anyway, maybe I can improve the 1.78 to 2.35 change detection speed.
Old 9th August 2015, 22:52   #32493  |  Link
huhn

found a clear misdetection:

http://abload.de/img/misdetectionktbdp.png
Old 9th August 2015, 23:10   #32494  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Samples for those fails would be helpful. Did they fail completely? Or did it just take a long time to detect? 2.20:1 is currently not in my list of "known" aspect ratios. Which means that madVR may wait an extra 10 seconds (or even an extra 30 seconds) on top of the usual time before detecting the black bars properly. But at some point detection should work. How long did you wait?

The change from 2.35 to 1.78 should be detected immediately. The change from 1.78 to 2.35 may take some time to detect, but I don't think that's a big problem, because you don't lose image content, you just see black bars for a few seconds. Anyway, maybe I can improve the 1.78 to 2.35 change detection speed.
I left The Notebook run longer and it detected the A/R after about 50 seconds. It might be due to the fact that the opening shot is a sunset, so might be harder to detect the edge of the black bars with certitude. We should probably leave that one.

I left Lawrence run for 1mn before giving up (past the audio only intro of course!). I can try to make a clip, or maybe you could add 2.20 in your list to see if it helps detection, if that's the reason, and I'll test again.

Re The Dark Knight, it's not really a problem for me because on a CIW setup you just have to live with the black bars, but in a CIH setup if the detection in both directions is not instant and if you can't do whatever you want to do to get rid of the bar instantly, it's going to be weird because you'll have 1.78 then 2.35 with black bars then 2.35 with NLS, should be very distracting. Anyway not my problem as I don't have CIH, so I'll let users comment on that when it's implemented.

Very promising overall, can't wait to see more on that front.
Old 10th August 2015, 08:07   #32495  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
found a clear misdetection:

http://abload.de/img/misdetectionktbdp.png
Ouch. Can I have a small video sample with which I can reproduce this problem, please?

Quote:
I left The Notebook run longer and it detected the A/R after about 50 seconds. It might be due to the fact that the opening shot is a sunset, so might be harder to detect the edge of the black bars with certitude. We should probably leave that one.
What happens if you seek into the middle of the movie right at the start? Does detection then work as fast as with the other movies you tested?

Quote:
I left Lawrence run for 1mn before giving up (past the audio only intro of course!). I can try to make a clip, or maybe you could add 2.20 in your list to see if it helps detection, if that's the reason, and I'll test again.
Same here: If you seek into a bright scene, does detection work then, after maybe max 40 seconds or so? In any case, a 1 minute sample from Lawrence would be great.
Old 10th August 2015, 08:32   #32496  |  Link
maxstep

nvidia nnedi3

Absolute heartbreaking shame on nvidia with dropping nnedi3 support. Can't believe it. Just jumped ship from AMD and everything is much worse with Nvidia. Now I find out that I can't even watch a video. Lovely.

Thank you to madshi for this incredible software!
maxstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 08:49   #32497  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxstep View Post
Absolute heartbreaking shame on nvidia with dropping nnedi3 support. Can't believe it. Just jumped ship from AMD and everything is much worse with Nvidia. Now I find out that I can't even watch a video. Lovely.

Thank you to madshi for this incredible software!
It sounds like it isn't anything that can't be fixed with some patience. madVR still has a long way to go. I am sure the problem will be fixed on one or both ends of Nvidia or madVR before too long.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 09:39   #32498  |  Link
kopija

Overlay mode working fine here on HD3000 and W10!
kopija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 14:40   #32499  |  Link
mindz

Quote:
It only doesn't work properly when there is any hidden scaling going on, possibly like with DSR, or the player you are using is using Windows DPI scaling (which would be bad, as Windows would also upscale the video image then).
This got my attention. Im using MPC-HC and Im scaling fonts to 125% via the 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Fonts' Change font size setting in Windows 7. Is Windows now first scaling my video, instead of madVR?
mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 14:44   #32500  |  Link
chros

Can I send standard window messages (like WM_COMMAND) to MadVR through MPC_HC (through it's webinterface)?
I'd like to change couple of things remotely, e.g. the input level.
I tried to capture the hotkeys (CTRL+J, CRTL+SHIFT+ALT+I , etc) in WindowDetective , but mpc-hc doesn't have a clue about them
Any idea how to do this?
Thanks

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling