Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th September 2016, 15:21   #39561  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes69 View Post
Maybe it´s a bad idea to compare to exact numbers. Do you have 60fps movies or 59.94fps movies? And maybe a 60fps movie is measured as 59.999fps or 60.001fps, then your logic won´t work. Use something like fps>59.9

This joke made my day Especially because it isn´t a joke but more a kind of reality Good job ryrynz, you could be a good clairvoyant
I'll try that too, but I just entered whatever madvr reported in the stats window.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2016, 19:57   #39562  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

I believe Y416 input is broken. More specifically that the plane order is switched. I found this when adding Y416 output to VapourSynth and I'm very certain my own code is correct. I can't give you a good example script until I release the next VS version though.
Old 27th September 2016, 21:18   #39563  |  Link
huhn

forcing Y416 in lavfilter is working fine.

so it should work in general shouldn't it?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2016, 23:18   #39564  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrsloik View Post
I believe Y416 input is broken. More specifically that the plane order is switched. I found this when adding Y416 output to VapourSynth and I'm very certain my own code is correct. I can't give you a good example script until I release the next VS version though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
forcing Y416 in lavfilter is working fine.

so it should work in general shouldn't it?
Indeed, LAV Filter properly forms the format according to Microsofts documentation for it, and madVR can handle it fine.
I did just double-check the generated format from LAV Filters, and it seems fine to me.

Unless Microsofts documentation has confused myself and madshi in the same way and we implemented it both backwards.
That then begs the question, is there any independent software that could be used to verify?

A quick check seems to suggest that Microsofts Y416 and Apples y416 (note the lowercase) might use different plane order, but madVR being a DirectShow component, using Microsofts definition seems to be the one to go with.
(MS uses AVYU and Apple uses AYUV)

Last edited by nevcairiel; 27th September 2016 at 23:43.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2016, 23:55   #39565  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

We're supposed to never use G-sync with madVR, no?

How do we make sure it's disabled?

(Testing a G-sync based config and wanting to get best results with madVR)

(Using G-sync, or at least leaving it seemingly enabled doesn't seem to affect performance at all or do anything, so either it's not disabled or it's okay to leave them working together) (Still testing on this, sorry if I'm wrong)

BTW, first time without optimus in years, I love being without it. Finally the frames aren't jumping around anymore. It was so annoying. Quick advice: avoid optimus as much as possible. There are cheap solution without it, just go with them, it will make madVR run much better, and for me optimus meant a lot of unreported skipped frames (they were never repordet as dropped but the image was not fluid at all) ^_^
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 00:46   #39566  |  Link
Asmodian

You can disable G-sync for your video player in the application specific 3D settings in Nvidia's drivers. That said madVR and G-sync seem fine together now, the only difference appears to be a slightly reduced measured refresh rate, e.g. 143.86Hz instead of 143.99Hz in my case. I still keep it disabled for my video player anyway.
Old 28th September 2016, 00:57   #39567  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
We're supposed to never use G-sync with madVR, no?

How do we make sure it's disabled?

(Testing a G-sync based config and wanting to get best results with madVR)

(Using G-sync, or at least leaving it seemingly enabled doesn't seem to affect performance at all or do anything, so either it's not disabled or it's okay to leave them working together) (Still testing on this, sorry if I'm wrong)

BTW, first time without optimus in years, I love being without it. Finally the frames aren't jumping around anymore. It was so annoying. Quick advice: avoid optimus as much as possible. There are cheap solution without it, just go with them, it will make madVR run much better, and for me optimus meant a lot of unreported skipped frames (they were never repordet as dropped but the image was not fluid at all) ^_^
I've seen a lot of people with madvr problems on optimus, I never had really a problem... only that optimus its not optimal hehe... but now I having the first time experience without optimus too.. and its great hehe for me the best change its the possibility to use windows overlay mode.. it's great! I think optimus has some perfomance loss because have to pass information from one gpu to another gpu...
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 03:00   #39568  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
I've seen a lot of people with madvr problems on optimus, I never had really a problem... only that optimus its not optimal hehe... but now I having the first time experience without optimus too.. and its great hehe for me the best change its the possibility to use windows overlay mode.. it's great! I think optimus has some perfomance loss because have to pass information from one gpu to another gpu...
Whoa!

You must be having a really good computer!

My Acer VN7-791G with optimus did not work as I wanted with madVR. There was a serious delay between render time and presenting time. and this kinda broken the entire video playback..

For example, a smooth panning scene would stop and jump around instead of being a smooth panning scene, while without Optimus (direct GPU to display), the scene pans smoothly.

While at first it doesn't seem much, it can get pretty distracting over time... Then you eventually get used to it.

Good part is that some devices using Optimus fare very well. this or it's my fault for not setting it up the right way.

What Optimus does is that it basically sends the data to the GPU, data goes through iGPU, data is processed in the dGPU, sent back to the CPU (iGPU) then sent to the display. This while road data has to travel creates heat, delay (lag) and the data bus can be a bottleneck for the data transfer rates in this case. Best way to explain what happens is that even though the computer processes the data in good time (under 16 ms for 60fps), the display doesn't receive each frame in time due to this road the data has to travel and this can cause a delayed, dropped or a wrong timed frame.

Worst part is that this is something not happening with most software (you can play games smoothly at 60fps as long as the GPU processess the image much faster), but to use madVR close to it's full potential, the smoothness of the video can take a hit.
Old 28th September 2016, 03:02   #39569  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
You can disable G-sync for your video player in the application specific 3D settings in Nvidia's drivers. That said madVR and G-sync seem fine together now, the only difference appears to be a slightly reduced measured refresh rate, e.g. 143.86Hz instead of 143.99Hz in my case. I still keep it disabled for my video player anyway.
Thanks!

I'm new to Gsync and such,... Seems like there is no difference in most case scenarios, but it's cool to have it around.
Old 28th September 2016, 03:12   #39570  |  Link
ryrynz

With the GTX 960 I get 24.97014Hz and get a frame drop every 4 minutes or so, is the Pascal range able to get any closer to 23.976?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 04:07   #39571  |  Link
ren7o

Fullscreen freeze on the AMD Crimson 16.9.1

Anybody encounter fullscreen freeze on the Crimson 16.9.1
on 64bit Win 10?
Revert back to Crimson 16.8.3...
ren7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 04:30   #39572  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
With the GTX 960 I get 24.97014Hz and get a frame drop every 4 minutes or so, is the Pascal range able to get any closer to 23.976?
Depending on video, Pascal gets from 1 frame repeat every 2 minutes up to 1 frame repeat every 30 minutes... Can't say it's consistent enough to make an assertion if it's better or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren7o View Post
on 64bit Win 10?
Had an AMD driver just fail and freeze using windows 10, there could be something wrong with their last versions..
Old 28th September 2016, 04:40   #39573  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
Have you tried the guide in this forum? Me and my friends get perfect timings with different nvidia gpus...

My for ex is an GTX 570 and with cru I get 23.97627 and get one frame repet every 15 hours...
Why 960 can t do this?
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 07:12   #39574  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Have you tried the guide in this forum? Me and my friends get perfect timings with different nvidia gpus.
I attempted using that guide but ended up having Windows boot into a black screen. That guide is not very clearly written BTW, for such a fairly simple process that guide makes it far harder to understand than it should.
I think I'll post in that forum and perhaps we might figure out needs to be changed to get this working.
Old 28th September 2016, 07:19   #39575  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren7o View Post
on 64bit Win 10?
I've had no issues what so ever with the latest Crimson... specs in my signature with the latest version of Windows 10

QB
Old 28th September 2016, 07:30   #39576  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
I attempted using that guide but ended up having Windows boot into a black screen. That guide is not very clearly written BTW, for such a fairly simple process that guide makes it far harder to understand than it should.
I think I'll post in that forum and perhaps we might figure out needs to be changed to get this working.
the black screen is one of the things that just happens.
you have to try a different approach to get the same timing.

maybe your screen doesn't like custom resolution less then other than there is little you can do.

i said before that this guide/custom resolution in general is nothing for an avg user.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 09:07   #39577  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
Have you tried to create a custom resolution?
Old 28th September 2016, 10:20   #39578  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
Have you tried to create a custom resolution?
Getting something working seems harder than I thought it would be, almost thinking it's not worth the hassle. Already wasted a hour on it so far with no success and am not even sure I'm doing it right, I'll leave it off this forum as it's not really the place for it.
Old 28th September 2016, 11:12   #39579  |  Link
pose

Quote:
Have you tried the guide in this forum?
This guide is terrible honestly. The worst guide ive seen in a while. Ive spend a lot of time and still couldn't make it work.
pose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 12:11   #39580  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
Getting something working seems harder than I thought it would be, almost thinking it's not worth the hassle. Already wasted a hour on it so far with no success and am not even sure I'm doing it right, I'll leave it off this forum as it's not really the place for it.
Try this: in nv control panel create a custom resolution. Then use this options:

just lower the last vertical pixel counter 1. In this case it would be 1124. Save it and try running a 23,976 movie. It leads to 1 frame drop every 3-4 hours on my machine with my old 970, 960 and new 1060.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling