Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 8th October 2019, 17:31   #17401  |  Link
Dhry

Feature request: I have a 4-server distributed rendering setup. I notice that when a job is near the end, two of my machines remain idle (having completed their assigned work) while the last two (or one) complete their render pieces. In order to avoid servers being idle for periods of time like this, could we have the next job start while servers in the farm are still completing the last chunks of the previous job, so that no servers are idle at any time?

Cheers
Dhry
Dhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2019, 17:48   #17402  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhry View Post
Feature request: I have a 4-server distributed rendering setup. I notice that when a job is near the end, two of my machines remain idle (having completed their assigned work) while the last two (or one) complete their render pieces. In order to avoid servers being idle for periods of time like this, could we have the next job start while servers in the farm are still completing the last chunks of the previous job, so that no servers are idle at any time?

Cheers
Dhry
No... Too much hassle ,too little benefit...

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 8th October 2019 at 17:58.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2019, 21:41   #17403  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteshare View Post
You should re-create the jobs if it just updated (the ones that haven't been processed).
Quote:
No need. For the jobs that died, the folders are still there and all I need to do is to manually run the two existing scripts to combine and remux and all's well.
The jobs that haven't run should be re-created but you can roll the dice
byteshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2019, 21:45   #17404  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
If the computers are similar in performance you should try having the jobs split into 1 part per server/encoding server and set the priority to variable.
Or, have a 2nd application on each computer encoding a low priority video.
The feature was something I thought I wanted a while ago but with faster computers now I'm only seeing one to a few min. of lost time which only would add up if I was doing this for years and profit.
Old 8th October 2019, 21:51   #17405  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Variable priority makes only sense If you run multiple encoding servers on single pc. (For example to get 100% CPU usage)
Old 8th October 2019, 22:39   #17406  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Variable priority makes only sense If you run multiple encoding servers on single pc. (For example to get 100% CPU usage)
Oh, okay. I remembered it wrong. I haven't used it in a while. So if you have more than 1 machine, not using only 2 chunks, and/or aren't using more than 1 encoding server it won't make sense, got it.
I stopped using it because using only 2 chunks didn't give me a good way to "pause" encodes. I usually stop 1 or more servers to either lower usage or "pause" an encode.

Last edited by byteshare; 8th October 2019 at 22:43.
Old 9th October 2019, 01:34   #17407  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:

Cheers
Dhry
Quote:
No... Too much hassle ,too little benefit...
I have to agree with this request....

I to have a multi pc server farm, and I get very frustrated at the wasted resources between encodes...if you are encoding a 4K movie, when it gets to the muxing stage, ONLY 1 pc is working on that, ALL the other's a twiddling their thumbs, for an extended period, could be 20 - 30 minutes !!! So over several movies in a queue, that's hour's wasted !!!

Just because you don't have a set up like this, you think it's a waste of time.
Old 9th October 2019, 01:49   #17408  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
How do we use the "Run Script after finished job"?
Quote:
What do you mean?
Quote:
Just check Job finished successfully.cmd and Job finished with error.cmd
Quote:
I don't see an option/where to define what script it will run, unless it is an internal script?
I can check it but I don't see what it does, so I don't know how to use it.
--Oh, thank you for adding GPU as a option in the settings for decoders and not just a right click option. Other than needing Intel or NVidia to use, any downsides to it over FFMS2 or LSMASH?
Also, you add these new features, and don't give any explanation on what they are for, or how to enable/use them....

And what about us users that have AMD GPU's ???

And here's another feature request..

How about displaying the Core version on the main gui page, so it's there for everyone to see, instead of looking for it.

And another suggestion (that has been asked for before), wouldn't it be beneficial to change the build number by a .1 for EVERY auto update, that too would help keep track of build's/version's.

And while I'm at it, a changelog would be good, too.

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 9th October 2019 at 05:05.
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2019, 10:27   #17409  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
I have to agree with this request....

I to have a multi pc server farm, and I get very frustrated at the wasted resources between encodes...if you are encoding a 4K movie, when it gets to the muxing stage, ONLY 1 pc is working on that, ALL the other's a twiddling their thumbs, for an extended period, could be 20 - 30 minutes !!! So over several movies in a queue, that's hour's wasted !!!

Just because you don't have a set up like this, you think it's a waste of time.
I'm honestly surprised that muxing in your case takes 30 min. On cheap sata3 SSD muxing 10 GiB files should take 1-2 minutes.

Quote:
.And what about us users that have AMD GPU's ???
AMD despite my sympathy is still a dick and does not allow 3rd party developers access to their video engine. For example NVIDIA Has cuvid API and Intel Has quicksync.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 9th October 2019 at 10:31.
Old 9th October 2019, 11:29   #17410  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
I'm honestly surprised that muxing in your case takes 30 min. On cheap sata3 SSD muxing 10 GiB files should take 1-2 minutes.
OMG, well clearly you don't have much experience with high bitrate 4K muxing !!

10Gb for a 4K movie !!, more like 60 - 80Gb !!

Admittedly I'm not using SSD's, only 7200rpm spinners.
Old 9th October 2019, 13:40   #17411  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
OMG, well clearly you don't have much experience with high bitrate 4K muxing !!

10Gb for a 4K movie !!, more like 60 - 80Gb !!

Admittedly I'm not using SSD's, only 7200rpm spinners.
OMG, I'm sorry for not reading your mind correctly! Unfortunately my crystal ball is currently under inspection. Maybe it is time to buy some crappy sata3 ssd just for muxing? Assuming that copying speed on sata3 ssd is around 0.25GiB/s ,your big ass 80 GiB file would be muxed in ~5 minutes. Furthermore on decent NVMe SSD this would be reduced to ~1 minute.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 9th October 2019 at 13:45.
Old 9th October 2019, 13:56   #17412  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
OMG, I'm sorry for not reading your mind correctly! Unfortunately my crystal ball is currently under inspection. Maybe it is time to buy some crappy sata3 ssd just for muxing? Assuming that copying speed on sata3 ssd is around 0.25GiB/s ,your big ass 80 GiB file would be muxed in ~5 minutes. Furthermore on decent NVMe SSD this would be reduced to ~1 minute.
Well, my crystal ball doesn't seem to work, and my mind reading isn't up to scratch, either.

I will dig out a "crappy ssd", and try a "big ass 80Gb" encode, with the latest build of RB, and see just how long it does take....
Old 9th October 2019, 13:59   #17413  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
I will dig out a "crappy ssd", and try a "big ass 80Gb" encode, with the latest build of RB, and see just how long it does take....
If it still takes long time then I will rethink your request. Just give me some hard numbers.
Old 9th October 2019, 15:06   #17414  |  Link
SKPN

I'm having two issues with my latest set of encodes. The source, according to MediaInfo, has a 1s audio delay relative to the video. This delay is not being copied over, causing the audio to be slightly ahead of the video track. Is there a way for the timing to be picked up automatically by RipBot?

I've tried using the DelayAudio option in the AVS script, but that didn't seem to work, and I would ideally like to not have to do anything custom because I have over a hundred videos to do with the same issue.

The second issue is that the aspect ratio on the encoded video is incorrect. The source videos are 1440x1080 with a 4:3 DAR. For some reason, the encoded videos are being given a DAR of 16:9. I'm not using any custom scripts or anything that would change this, and I can't figure out why it's not just using the source DAR.

For this, I've tried using --sar 4:3 in the encoding settings, but the DAR is still 16:9 in the resulting video. I've also tried using a custom resize option, setting it to 1440 width with a 1.33:1 ratio.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
SKPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2019, 15:12   #17415  |  Link
sneaker_ger

1440x1080 with 4:3 DAR means --sar 1:1

(sar is sample aspect ratio)
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2019, 15:25   #17416  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
For this, I've tried using --sar 4:3 in the encoding settings, but the DAR is still 16:9 in the resulting video. I've also tried using a custom resize option, setting it to 1440 width with a 1.33:1 ratio.
You should use --sar 1:1
Old 9th October 2019, 15:40   #17417  |  Link
SKPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
1440x1080 with 4:3 DAR means --sar 1:1

(sar is sample aspect ratio)
Quote:
You should use --sar 1:1
Thank you! I don't know why I couldn't figure that out. Is there any reason it wouldn't do that automatically though? I'm not sure why it was setting it to 16:9 by default when the source video is 4:3.

In any case, that's one issue solved. Any suggestions for the audio sync issue by chance?
Old 9th October 2019, 15:54   #17418  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Do you re-encode audio or just remux? How many audio sources does your file have?
Old 9th October 2019, 16:13   #17419  |  Link
SKPN

Quote:
Do you re-encode audio or just remux? How many audio sources does your file have?
Just remuxed, and just one audio source. I did figure out how to fix it for my one test video, but it involved a manual edit for the audio delay. That would normally be a good enough solution, but I have more than a hundred videos, and if the delay isn't the same on all of them, I'll have to go through each one individually to fix them unless I can figure out a way to have it read that delay by default.
Old 9th October 2019, 16:19   #17420  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Is delay always 1000ms?

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360