Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 29th October 2019, 19:34   #17621  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZZ View Post
It was rescanned from the 35mm film to 4k in the 2019 remaster which the UHD is from: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095963...ef_=tt_dt_spec
Digital Intermediate (4K) (2019 remaster)
My test clearly shows that you do not get true pixels. It looks like 2k upscale to 4k with added noise to fool you that It has more details.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2019, 19:46   #17622  |  Link
Ryushin

TrueHD before AC3 Causes Error

Hi Atak,

Still encountering the bug with pulling in a MKV that has the TrueHD stream before the AC3 stream:
FFAudioSource: No audio track found
(D:\Temp\RipBot264temp\job19\getinfo.avs, line 4)

This is the default that MakeMKV creates as I need to use it to make a MKV file to pull into Ripbot264 if I have a seamless branching 4K. I'm having to remux it to put the AC3 track first before the TrueHD track and then it pulls in fine.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2019, 19:48   #17623  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
Hi Atak,

Still encountering the bug with pulling in a MKV that has the TrueHD stream before the AC3 stream:
FFAudioSource: No audio track found
(D:\Temp\RipBot264temp\job19\getinfo.avs, line 4)

This is the default that MakeMKV creates as I need to use it to make a MKV file to pull into Ripbot264 if I have a seamless branching 4K. I'm having to remux it to put the AC3 track first before the TrueHD track and then it pulls in fine.
Can you send me a sample for testing purposes?
Old 30th October 2019, 17:56   #17624  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Can you send me a sample for testing purposes?
I'll try and get you a sample. Not sure if I can chop a Atmos TrueHD stream or not.

I know electronics are crazy expensive where you are, just wondering if you've been able to move to 4K ripping and encoding for yourself personally yet.
Old 30th October 2019, 22:01   #17625  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
I'll try and get you a sample. Not sure if I can chop a Atmos TrueHD stream or not.
I've tried trimming the mkv several times with ffmpeg and I can import the trimmed version, but not the original 4K version. Frustrating. Not sure what to do. I'll try a few more tests.
Old 31st October 2019, 12:42   #17626  |  Link
GZZ

Quote:
I've tried trimming the mkv several times with ffmpeg and I can import the trimmed version, but not the original 4K version. Frustrating. Not sure what to do. I'll try a few more tests.
Dont know if I did it correctly. But I used MKVToolNix and set the output to be devided by size and choose 350mb output files. Then it divide the file into 350mb chunks, but they are not equal in size, so I think it does it by keyframe or something. Then I choose one of the file as a sample and delete the others.
GZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2019, 17:50   #17627  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Dont know if I did it correctly. But I used MKVToolNix and set the output to be devided by size and choose 350mb output files. Then it divide the file into 350mb chunks, but they are not equal in size, so I think it does it by keyframe or something. Then I choose one of the file as a sample and delete the others.
Yes, MKVtoolnix will use key frames if you're cutting by size, duration, and even frames.
Quote:
Did you try MKVtoolnix?
byteshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:16   #17628  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
Would it be too much to ask if you could implement an option where you could send a shut down/kill command thru to an individual server's IP address, when ever you wanted or needed to ??

Preferably within the Encoding Client window/screen.

Very handy when the servers are elsewhere !!

Separate to the shut down options at the end of an encode.
I've had another idea about "power saving" during long "wait's" between encodes, in reference to DE, and several server pc's.

Now I have no idea if someone else has thought of this, and not too sure how it would work, anyways.

IF, you had the "remote" DE servers set to go to "sleep" once there were off a high cpu usage encode, would RB be able to "wake them" out of that sleep, once it started encoding the next job ??
Old 2nd November 2019, 14:53   #17629  |  Link
Ryushin

Resizing Video and Slow 4K Gathering Information

Hi Atak,

Would is be possible to add a "Add Padding" tick box to the resize video. So selecting a setting like HDReady (720p) will scale the video and keep the aspect ratio of the video (keeps cropping settings) to fit within the resize video window. Then clicking the Padding box will add boarders if necessary to make the video fit the 720p range.

There also an issue with typing in the box to manually enter the size. I'm trying to type 960x720 (4x3 movies) and it keeps auto-correct the size to make it fit within a parameter before I can finish typing the size. The only way for me to do it is to copy 960 to the clipboard and paste it into the box.
or selecting a different audio source.or selecting a different audio source.

I wanted to wait to ask about an issue until I upgraded to SSDs on my server which I just completed yesterday. I bought six Crucial MX500 2TB drives and put then in a ZFS raidz2 (like raid6). I'm waiting on Supermicro to release a new Epyc Rome motherboard before upgrading the CPU (which is an old 4 core Xeon) to the 24 core Epyc. My RipBot server is a KVM Virtual Machine running on the linux server and it's only acting as a director to pull in the jobs and use DE to send them to other servers for encoding. It's virtual drive is now running on the SSD storage pool.

Working with HD sources is fairly quick and it only takes a few seconds when it's "Gathering Information" when leaving the Avisynth window. 4K sources on the other hand, takes minutes. Selecting a second audio source also takes a very long time.

Another issue is having it do auto cropping. I'll use this option for HD sources which might take a minute. 4K sources can be a 15-30 minute wait when having it do auto cropping. For 4K sources I'm selecting manual and entering the numbers manually.or selecting a different audio source.or selecting a different audio source. Even selecting New Frame takes a very long time to pull in.
Old 2nd November 2019, 15:42   #17630  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Would is be possible to add a "Add Padding" tick box to the resize video. So selecting a setting like HDReady (720p) will scale the video and keep the aspect ratio of the video (keeps cropping settings) to fit within the resize video window. Then clicking the Padding box will add boarders if necessary to make the video fit the 720p range.
I will see...

Quote:
There also an issue with typing in the box to manually enter the size. I'm trying to type 960x720 (4x3 movies) and it keeps auto-correct the size to make it fit within a parameter before I can finish typing the size. The only way for me to do it is to copy 960 to the clipboard and paste it into the box.
OK. I see the problem...

Quote:
Working with HD sources is fairly quick and it only takes a few seconds when it's "Gathering Information" when leaving the Avisynth window. 4K sources on the other hand, takes minutes. Selecting a second audio source also takes a very long time.

Another issue is having it do auto cropping. I'll use this option for HD sources which might take a minute. 4K sources can be a 15-30 minute wait when having it do auto cropping. For 4K sources I'm selecting manual and entering the numbers manually.or selecting a different audio source.or selecting a different audio source. Even selecting New Frame takes a very long time to pull in.
On my real win7 and Xeon E5-2690 with 64GiB of RAM autocropping takes ~12s with UHD bluray source and ~3s with regular avc bluray source.
Old 2nd November 2019, 16:19   #17631  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
I tried this and I'm afraid I still cannot duplicate the issue with a small trimmed file. Only the original it seems. I guess I'll just need to deal with this issue for the time being. The bigger issue though is the seamless branching in 4K sources causing Ripbot to cause audio sync problems. At least I have a workaround. Ripbot is still amazing software and I use it just about daily.
Old 2nd November 2019, 16:32   #17632  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
I will see...
On my real win7 and Xeon E5-2690 with 64GiB of RAM autocropping takes ~12s with UHD bluray source and ~3s with regular avc bluray source.
So I'm probably CPU bound then for the auto cropping. My seven year old Xeon E5-2609 at 2.40GHz with three of the four cores passed through to the VM is probably the issue with the cropping then. I'll do some more testing in a couple of months or so once Supermicro releases a new board and I get the 24 core Epyc Rome.

Do you think I'm still CPU bound for the Gathering Information slowness? Before it looked like I was I/O bound and looking at the Task Manager that is no longer the case. CPU is running around 75% during this time. But since there are only three cores, that could be an issue.
Old 2nd November 2019, 16:48   #17633  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
So I'm probably CPU bound then for the auto cropping. My seven year old Xeon E5-2609 at 2.40GHz with three of the four cores passed through to the VM is probably the issue with the cropping then. I'll do some more testing in a couple of months or so once Supermicro releases a new board and I get the 24 core Epyc Rome.

Do you think I'm still CPU bound for the Gathering Information slowness? Before it looked like I was I/O bound and looking at the Task Manager that is no longer the case. CPU is running around 75% during this time. But since there are only three cores, that could be an issue.
I would blame virtual machine instead of cores. 12s vs minutes looks weird even on 4C.
Old 2nd November 2019, 16:50   #17634  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
IF, you had the "remote" DE servers set to go to "sleep" once there were off a high cpu usage encode, would RB be able to "wake them" out of that sleep, once it started encoding the next job ??
Are you still seeing huge waits between muxing at the end of jobs?
From my usage of RB, the time between jobs is not a lot. At most I could see a reason for another job to start once all of the chunks are done or in process, but even that wouldn't be a major difference IMO, unless you had a huge server farm, but at that point (no offense to RB) you should use different software or have more individual sessions of RB going.
byteshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2019, 18:34   #17635  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
I would blame virtual machine instead of cores. 12s vs minutes looks weird even on 4C.
Though what is stranger is the huge amount of difference it is between HD and 4K. Is there an option to use a different decoder for the auto detect boards and new frame option. I notice things got really slow for me around the time lsmash was implemented.

The VM has been fine, but a little slow in general, but overall, it got the job done. Now though the Gathering Information on anything related to 4K sources seems to take a very long time.

Oh, one other thing, is it still necessary to convert .sup to .sub when rendering subtitles?
Old 2nd November 2019, 20:18   #17636  |  Link
slalom

Quote:
Oh, one other thing, is it still necessary to convert .sup to .sub when rendering subtitles?
Uncheck the box in Main Settings
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2019, 21:16   #17637  |  Link
GZZ

Quote:
I tried this and I'm afraid I still cannot duplicate the issue with a small trimmed file. Only the original it seems. I guess I'll just need to deal with this issue for the time being. The bigger issue though is the seamless branching in 4K sources causing Ripbot to cause audio sync problems. At least I have a workaround. Ripbot is still amazing software and I use it just about daily.
Did you extract it using MakeMKV ? I have noticed that on Animation like Disney and Pixar this issue occure. I found out there is a glitch in the movie when extracted with MakeMKV (I think its extraction issue in makeMKV)

To find the glitch
What I did to find it, is to run MKVToolNix on the MKV file and then try load all the chunks into Ripbot264 (Use batch mode), one the chunks will fail with that error (no audio), it did on mine. Then try play this chunk and see if there is a glitch in the audio (you can hear it).

To fix it
Use MkvToolNix on your bluray/UHD source to extract the movie to mkv and then try load it into ripbot264
GZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2019, 23:28   #17638  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Uncheck the box in Main Settings
That is unchecked and muxing in subtitles works correctly. Rendering subtitles always converts sup to sub regardless of the setting in Main Settings.
Old 2nd November 2019, 23:30   #17639  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Did you extract it using MakeMKV ? I have noticed that on Animation like Disney and Pixar this issue occure. I found out there is a glitch in the movie when extracted with MakeMKV (I think its extraction issue in makeMKV)

To find the glitch
What I did to find it, is to run MKVToolNix on the MKV file and then try load all the chunks into Ripbot264 (Use batch mode), one the chunks will fail with that error (no audio), it did on mine. Then try play this chunk and see if there is a glitch in the audio (you can hear it).

To fix it
Use MkvToolNix on your bluray/UHD source to extract the movie to mkv and then try load it into ripbot264
I did not know MkvToolNix could make a mkv from a BD/4K source. I would prefer MkvToolNix to do the work.
Old 3rd November 2019, 01:32   #17640  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteshare View Post
Are you still seeing huge waits between muxing at the end of jobs?
From my usage of RB, the time between jobs is not a lot. At most I could see a reason for another job to start once all of the chunks are done or in process, but even that wouldn't be a major difference IMO, unless you had a huge server farm, but at that point (no offense to RB) you should use different software or have more individual sessions of RB going.
TBH, I haven't done any 4K encodes since getting the NVMe's, but that's not really what info I was after.

I know there's an option for RB to "wake up" DE server's, but I haven't had any success with that...

So despite how long the "wait" times are between encodes, there is STILL a period where the servers aren't doing anything, and as in my case, I have 6 hungry servers eating up power, when they could be asleep, or even better, OFF.

Under full load the "farm" uses approx 2400W, and I guess when they're idling, it would be maybe a 1/4 of that, so lets say 600W for say 10 - 15 minutes, several times a day, adds up to a lot of wasted energy.

Quote:
you should use different software or have more individual sessions of RB going.
So what different software can do what RB can do ??

And AFAIK, the only way to have individual sessions of RB, is to have another client pc "sharing" the "farm", but that kinda defeats the purpose of doing large encodes using the whole farm for a process as fast as possible.

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360