Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 24th March 2020, 21:36   #1  |  Link
mikeiz

Current HEVC Licensing Situation - Is it Getting Better or Is It Too Late?

Recently Huawei, LG, and Technicolor joined HEVC Advance showing some consolidation of patent pools. I'm not sure about the validity of the Velos patent pool from what I've read. How many companies are still outside any of these patent pools? How are companies handling this? Do they sign licensing agreements with these companies outside the pool individually, or do they take their chances?
mikeiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2020, 23:26   #2  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Hey Mike, just a little heads up so you don't get in trouble. Cross-posting is not allowed. See #8 here.

https://forum.doom9.org/forum-rules.htm

Cue the DG-deranged!
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2020, 14:27   #3  |  Link
mikeiz

Got it. Thanks.
mikeiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:05   #4  |  Link
ksec

I say In terms of Licensing ( and not technical ), it properly is too late in the game for those NOT currently have any HEVC licensing deal.

VVC / H.266 is only few months from finalising, and judging from Initial Reference Encoder it seems to offer Lots of potential. Much more so than the H.264 to H.265 jump. Everyone is putting all the energy into it.

MC-IF is formed to avoid the mistake of HEVC licensing, and as far as I can tell. It has everybody on board ( Apart from Google ). By everybody I mean all the three patent pool in HEVC and others that were missing from those three pools.

It is purely my assumption, that should you have a licenses with MC-IF, it would have included everything in HEVC. Given VVC is built on top of HEVC.

And that is of course assuming MC-IF could get a deal together. Having everyone in the same organisation doesn't mean they will play well together.

My view is that the licensing terms should not include any cost per bandwidth / streaming, and software implementation should be free. This will allow the widest possible adoption with Software Decoder, and an image format based on VVC. Instead collect royalty on Hardware encoder and decoder unit. The world ships 1 billon smartphones with HEVC hardware. Assuming no Caps per companies that would have equate to $1B annually VVC royalty on a $1 per devices. And that is Smartphone alone, there are hundreds of millions from PC to gadget that features Hardware encoder and decoder.

On a consumer level, you are likely paying somewhere around $3 for VVC in your final retail purchase price, That is everything from VVC's Patent IP, Actual Hardware Encoder and Decoder IP, Die Size cost on SoC, plus the usual ~50% margin from Smartphone companies.

Personally I would be very happy to pay $3 for VVC.

Last edited by ksec; 3rd April 2020 at 10:10.
ksec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2024, 19:04   #5  |  Link
oibaf

It looks like B1 Institute of Image Technology, INC. on 2024-01-25 terminated licensing to Via Licensing HEVC Patent Pool. Page 42 of https://www.via-la.com/wp-content/up...ry-25-2024.pdf
oibaf is offline   Reply With Quote