Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Old 29th March 2020, 12:41   #21  |  Link
Music Fan

I made something bad : I also tried this recent fw on XP, but VVCR didn't detect the Hauppauge in the audio part anymore and I saw that some keys disappeared of the registry.
Thus I tried to re-install my old driver but it was refused because too old, thus I erased a folder in the registry and I could re-install my old driver again, but there is no audio anymore.

So I decided to re-install XP with the cd but after 1 minute the installation stops and there is an error message : "a problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down ..."

Do you believe it's linked to the fact this pc is in dual boot ?
I have EasyBCD on XP (which is on the first partition, Win 7 being on the second).
Music Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2020, 13:48   #22  |  Link
Music Fan

I made a restoration to a 3 days back point with EasyBCD and fortunately recovered the good settings in VVCR and registry keys.

I learned 2 things about this card when used with VVCR, I absolutely have to use ;
-Windows XP (32 bit in my case, I didn't try the 64 bit version)
-my old Hauppauge driver (only XP compatible).

Now I have to test the Audigy.
Old 29th March 2020, 13:53   #23  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
And if all else fails then it is a good idea to connect the audio to a separate sound card. Of course this will cause sync problems because there are 2 different oscillators for video and audio, but even on my ancient and weak XP machine VirtualDub and (mostly) also VirtualVCR have no problem to keep audio in sync by resampling the audio on the fly during capturing.
I forgot to answer that part : it seems a little bit contradictory because you say there will be sync problems but that you could keep audio in sync
If you check "resampling" in VVCR, there are no problem but if you don't, there are ?
Old 30th March 2020, 02:14   #24  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Fan View Post
I forgot to answer that part : it seems a little bit contradictory because you say there will be sync problems but that you could keep audio in sync
If you check "resampling" in VVCR, there are no problem but if you don't, there are ?
If video AND audio are handled by the same A/D chip then there should be no sync problems. As your card has an audio input I was led to believe that this is the case for your card. But after downloading and studying the manual I found out that I was wrong:
Quote:
Your PC’s sound card is used to amplify the audio during “live” TV,
record and playback. The WinTV application’s Volume Adjust slide-
bar adjusts the volume by raising and lowering the WaveOut volume
control in the sound card
This means that audio is routed to your sound card for converting it to digital. And the sound card uses a separate oscillator which never runs at the exact same speed as the oscillator of the video capture card. Sync problems are inevitable, but the capture software can take care of the sync problems.

These are my VDub settings for the capture timing. Since my computer is very slow I need to capture "blind" (no video preview during capturing), but with these settings I always get perfect results.

Your other issues seem to be driver related. Ideally you should not need the Win TV application at all after installing the hardware drivers correctly. In your device manager you should see the capture card under "Audio-, Video- and Game Controller", and the built-in sound card of your computer should also appear there. And if there are no glitches you should be able to adjust the audio recording level in the Windows audio mixer under "Recording".
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2020, 08:06   #25  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
These are my VDub settings for the capture timing.
Ok, I will test with the Audigy and VVCR.

Quote:
Ideally you should not need the Win TV application at all after installing the hardware drivers correctly.
I know, I didn't even install WinTV, only the drivers.

Quote:
In your device manager you should see the capture card under "Audio-, Video- and Game Controller", and the built-in sound card of your computer should also appear there. And if there are no glitches you should be able to adjust the audio recording level in the Windows audio mixer under "Recording".
Yes, but my original goal was to use the Hauppauge card for the sound too, and as I said earlier, the settings stay greyed out and the volume can not be modified in Windows and VVCR with this card.
Thus if I wanna avoid clipping in the sound, I will have to record the sound with the Audigy (admitting there is no clipping anymore), but there will probably be synch problems.
I'm gonna test it soon and will tell what happens.

Last edited by Music Fan; 30th March 2020 at 20:08. Reason: spelling
Old 30th March 2020, 14:01   #26  |  Link
Music Fan

I noticed something crazy : I put my Audigy in my pc, I disabled in the Bios the audio controller (which is related to the integrated audio card in the motherboard), and before to install the drivers of the Audigy, I wanted to verify if all settings were still ok in VVCR.

And there I see that ;
-the input video is not detected anymore (nothing in the scroll down list) while it has nothing to do with the audio controller ,
-the Hauppauge is not set anymore as the audio input
-I get an error message about IAMStreamConfig.

I shut down the pc, enabled again the audio controller in the Bios and the good settings came back in VVCR.

What the hell is going on with this pc ?
Old 30th March 2020, 20:05   #27  |  Link
Music Fan

I tried the last thing I hadn't tried yet : setting the onboard audio card as audio recording device instead of the Hauppauge, and in this case I can change the audio recording level in VVCR !

After a few tests, I put 29 as line audio level to avoid clipping.
In the AV Sync tab, I have to check resample, otherwise the sound is not in 48 khz but 40567 hz or something like that.

But there are 2 options for this : resample dynamically or resample in percentage (it's on 100 % by default).
I didn't notice any difference (at first sight in Cool Edit Pro), thus I don't know which one to choose.

I still have to see if recording this way does not create synch problems.

edit : I found this interesting explanation about resample in VVCR ;
http://virtualvcr.sourceforge.net/ht...alvcr/sync.php

Last edited by Music Fan; 30th March 2020 at 21:12.
Old 30th March 2020, 22:19   #28  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Your PC’s sound card is used to amplify the audio during “live” TV,
record and playback. The WinTV application’s Volume Adjust slide-
bar adjusts the volume by raising and lowering the WaveOut volume
control in the sound card
Did you overlook this in my previous post? This is taken from the PVR-150 manual so I guess that it is true.

The Hauppauge card just fools you into thinking that it also processes the audio. IT DOES NOT, it sends the audio unmodified to your integrated soundcard and lets the soundcard do the A/D conversion.

In your VVCR settings you need to pick the soundcard's Line In (or maybe the Aux In) as the audio source, and then you should be able to adjust the recording level. And for keeping audio in sync with video you should use "Resample Audio Dynamically".

Last edited by manolito; 30th March 2020 at 22:22.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2020, 23:01   #29  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
Did you overlook this in my previous post? This is taken from the PVR-150 manual so I guess that it is true.

The Hauppauge card just fools you into thinking that it also processes the audio. IT DOES NOT, it sends the audio unmodified to your integrated soundcard and lets the soundcard do the A/D conversion.
I hadn't understood it that way because I believed it concerned only WinTV.
I thought that the line input on the Hauppauge meant that an A/D converter was included in this card.
What you say means that if there is no onboard audio card, there is no audio in the capture.
Or they all have onboard audio card, perhaps.

If it works that way, it means that the sound has the exact same quality than if I select the Hauppauge as audio device in VVCR. And my fear was to have a lower quality with the onboard card's Line In, that's why I didn't try it earlier.

Quote:
In your VVCR settings you need to pick the soundcard's Line In (or maybe the Aux In) as the audio source, and then you should be able to adjust the recording level.
That's what I finally did, I explained it in my previous post.

Quote:
And for keeping audio in sync with video you should use "Resample Audio Dynamically".
Ok, that's what I understood after reading the page about resample (see my edit also in my previous post).