Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Hardware players

Old 18th July 2019, 12:33   #1  |  Link
Stereodude

2018 FireTV Stick 4K frame drops/repeats

I just got my FireTV Stick 4K yesterday. Has anyone else noticed that their FireTV Stick 4K has dropped or repeated frames in the output, even when playing back Amazon own Prime Video content? I have frame rate matching turned on but it seems the frame rates aren't quite right or something. I was a little surprised to see that Amazon's flagship device can't do the one thing right that it's supposed to do.

Maybe I'm just really picky, but I notice them quite readily and it annoys me. Too bad it doesn't have a OSD like madVR offers so I could see what it's actually doing.

Last edited by Stereodude; 18th July 2019 at 12:38.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2019, 02:14   #2  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

I've been unimpressed with the FireTV devices in the past, but the current crop of them seems to be really good. I've yet to try the new 4k stick, but the old HD stick was terrible so I do worry about this :/
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2019, 04:24   #3  |  Link
Stereodude

I tried playing with it tonight some more and it seems like most of the video output setting don't actually do anything. It output YCbCr even when you set it to RGB. Changing from 8, 10, or 12 bit doesn't seem to change anything. Setting it to p60 and disabling frame rate adjustments results in 3:2 cadence judder and it seems like it still might be dropping frames.

It seems there isn't an equivalent of benwaggoner at Amazon overseeing the hardware devices.

Edit: It turns out my Sony UHD TV can remove the 3:2 judder from p24 content showed @ 2160p60, but requires a more aggressive Cinemotion setting than I had the TV set to. Low isn't enough. Medium removes the judder. It seems like 2160p60 output from the FireTV Stick 4K + the TV's processing yields acceptable judderless playback with no apparent frame drops/repeats, but I need to do more testing and content watching before I can declare victory.

Last edited by Stereodude; 19th July 2019 at 13:38.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 01:21   #4  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Yikes.

I will plug Apple TV 4K for good playback experience
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2020, 16:17   #5  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Just in case people missed it...

Explanation of the new Frame Rate Matching feature on the Amazon Fire TV and how it works...