Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 20th February 2020, 00:40   #3321  |  Link
manolito

Sure it can...
Have a look here:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...12#post1879712
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 13:54   #3322  |  Link
Mike-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
ah ok thanks I kinda glossed over that at the time , ill have a play and see what the results are

Thanks

Mike
Mike-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2020, 08:58   #3323  |  Link
dr_ml422

@manolito Wow! That 2 Pass with HCencVBR you suggested is right on the money! I knew that something had to give because when I use DVD-RB Pro, it uses the HCenc and the results are immaculate. Thanks again. I'll maybe take a look at that Tiny player just for kicks. For the preview to work natively from the app, ffdshow has to be installed, otherwise you have to set it to use an external player.
dr_ml422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2020, 09:41   #3324  |  Link
mayasl

AVStoDVD ver: 2.8.8
AviSynth: 2.6

Please assist me to create a DVD with DTS audio from the following file.

Source details:
Quote:
General
Unique ID : xxxxxxxx
Complete name : xxxxx.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4
File size : 3.27 GiB
Duration : 1 h 24 min
Overall bit rate : 5 562 kb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2020-03-05 18:45:42
Writing application : mkvmerge v42.0.0 ('Overtime') 32-bit
Writing library : libebml v1.3.10 + libmatroska v1.5.2

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings : CABAC / 8 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 8 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 4 050 kb/s
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.183
Stream size : 2.39 GiB (73%)
Writing library : x264 core 159 r2991 1771b55
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=8 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=16 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=4050 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 509 kb/s
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : C L R Ls Rs LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 93.750 FPS (512 SPF)
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 910 MiB (27%)
Title : English
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Menu
00:00:00.000 : en:Chapter 01
00:08:15.453 : en:Chapter 02
00:16:59.852 : en:Chapter 03
00:27:19.179 : en:Chapter 04
00:38:09.954 : en:Chapter 05
00:48:38.374 : en:Chapter 06
00:56:55.621 : en:Chapter 07
01:02:34.459 : en:Chapter 08
01:12:30.596 : en:Chapter 09
01:21:39.978 : en:Chapter 10

Last edited by mayasl; 15th March 2020 at 11:21.
mayasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2020, 12:35   #3325  |  Link
Mike-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayasl View Post
AVStoDVD ver: 2.8.8
AviSynth: 2.6

Please assist me to create a DVD with DTS audio from the following file.

Source details:
from reading, avs2dvd does not encode to DTS format only ac-3 wav and mp2 I guess this is due to licencing issues with DTS labs

it also seems DTS source audio tracks need to be 20bit or lower to be direct copied by avs2dvd, this apparently is a muxman problem ? , id guess Blu-ray source files are 24bit DTS audio, as is your MKV so will need re encoding

as quoted by Mrc, Many (I would say all) 24bit DTS tracks are refused by muxman. Sometimes it refuses 20bit tracks as well... hence the DTS compliance is not 100% solved. (wheter this is still relevant im not sure)

so I guess your options are, AC-3, or find a way of re encoding your DTS audio tracks to 20bit and hopfully avs2dvd will direct copy, and hopefully muxman will accept it

and do you really need DTS on a DVD ???, AC-3 is almost on par

on a Blu ray, yes I understand, superior picture and audio DTS-HD and master, im guessing DTS will take up more space leaving a lot less space for the video on a dvd ?, considering your compressing video from a already compressed video at only 3 gig to start with for 1hr+ of footage the sorce is prob not the best to start with

Last edited by Mike-uk; 15th March 2020 at 13:22.
Mike-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2020, 14:47   #3326  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-uk View Post
and do you really need DTS on a DVD ???, AC-3 is almost on par
Totally agreed...

Also keep in mind that DTS audio is not a mandatory format for DVDs, it is only optional. There are tons of standalone DVD players out there without a built-in DTS decoder. A DVD with only a DTS audio track without also having one of the mandatory audio formats is NOT DVD compliant.
Old 21st April 2020, 23:36   #3327  |  Link
dr_ml422

Hi manolito I have a question. I've been getting the warning "A file with AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) audio stream has been added, and default audio codec is Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio decoder". I haven't changed anything with regards to my LAV filters so unless Windows did this on its own I have no idea where this is coming from. Anyway the DVD came out just fine. I did go and use the tool to have LAV filters as default. Should I change the Avisynth tab settings in preferences and set video and audio source filters to FFMpegSource? Thanks.
Old 22nd April 2020, 15:38   #3328  |  Link
manolito

Are you using Win10?
The only reason I can think of that your DS Filter Settings change by itself is that Win10 updates change these filter settings back to the original Windows filters.

If using the Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio decoder gives you good results (check for Audio/Video sync problems) then of course you can use these filters. Or rerun the Filter Tweaker tool after each Windows update.

Ditching DirectShow altogether and using FFmpegSource as your source filters is an alternative. The only drawback is that the source files need to be indexed which can take some time for longer sources.
Old 4th May 2020, 18:10   #3329  |  Link
dr_ml422

Yes you were correct. It was an update after which the settings were changed. Everything's fine now. Thanks. Running the Filter Tweaker Tool doesn't automatically change everything to LAV Filters. You have to make the changes yourself for each item.
Old 26th September 2020, 16:55   #3330  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Guys, back in business... after some time I finally decided that 2.8.9 must have a final build. So... here you are a new alpha

AVStoDVD 289 Alpha 200925 @ SourceForge

Cumulative changes log from release 2.8.8. Changes from latest alpha are marked with +.

- Added support to PGS BluRay subtitles
- Added handling and display of MediaInfo BitDepth video tag
+ Added support to 7 and 8 channels audio source (Downmix.avsi script file updated, thanks to Manolito)
+ Added Chapters section to Demux File tool
- Improved Muxing routine: better errors handling and switch to FFmpeg (instead of Mplex) when no audio source is present
- Improved usage of FFMS2: now YV12 colorspace is always specified (A2DSource external AviSynth function updated as well)
- Improved AviSynth program info retrieving routine (now using AVSMeter)
+ Improved Seek Chapters routine (new "aggressive" mode added, original mode is now called "mild" mode)
- LAV Filters updated to release 0.74.1
- AVSMeter updated to 2.6.5.1 (2.6.5 modded release to improve reading speed)
+ MediaInfo updated to release 18.05

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2020, 22:54   #3331  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
Guys, back in business...

Will start testing tomorrow...
Old 27th September 2020, 15:28   #3332  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:

Will start testing tomorrow...
manolito, for that, for the patches, for the mods and for all the support here and @ VideoHelp in the last months

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 28th September 2020, 15:33   #3333  |  Link
manolito

My pleasure...

Finished my tests with this new build, not much to report:

A very very small correction to the German language file:
Quote:
104087 SSA/ASS Untertitel in SRT konvertieren
Just cosmetic, brings it more in line with other translated lines.

The addition of the new audio downmix functions works well.

I noticed that you overhauled the menu highlight colors. Also no problems, the only thing is for folks who overinstall the new build over an older build will have to reselect the hightlight colors to get the colors they want.

As usual I did not test the new subtitle features, this should be tested by users who actually use subs.

My tests were under WinXP and Win7 - 64bit, Win10 users should make their own tests.

There were reports by Win10 users that the preview did not work for them. I cannot reproduce this.
Another Win10 related issue seems to be that Win10 updates can sometimes reset the preferred DS filters to the original MS DMO filters.

If you intend to release a last and final stable version of AVStoDVD there are a couple of considerations how you could harden it for the future. The DVD specs are static, only new source file formats may cause problems. The source filters should handle new formats, the problem I see is with MediaInfo. The current MediaInfo versions do not work with A2D since Zenitram changed the output format. But even if you made A2D compatible with current MediaInfo versions (which would mean a lot of work) there could still be problems in the future. Right now there are already issues with multichannel audio. There are many different 8-ch audio formats, and MediaInfo reports very different output for the number of channels. Sometimes A2D interprets such MediaInfo output as 0 channels. The workaround is to play the source file with a DS based player and check the LAV audio status tab which reports the number of channels which LAV sees. Then the user can manually change the number of audio input channels in A2D.

Of course Win10 updates are another threat for the future stability of A2D, but there is nothing you can do about it.

Whatever, as far as I am concerned this new build is ready to go stable...

Cheers
manolito
Old 29th September 2020, 13:43   #3334  |  Link
manolito

I almost forgot to mention a long standing issue when users specify to use an external player AND the default source filter is A2DSource...

(I stumbled upon this issue after recommending to use an external player to users who could not get the internal preview working.)

When A2DSource is selected then the AviSynthP.avs script loads A2DSource.avsi from the "AVStoDVD\Lib" folder. But AviSynthP.avs is called while the active folder is "C:\Windows". This means that A2DSource.avsi is not executed correctly, so the external player will either not work at all, or there will be no audio. Including the Lib folder in the Path does not fix it.

The current workaround is to use DirectShowSource or FFMS2 instead of A2DSource. To fix the issue completely AVStoDVD would need to make the Lib folder the active folder before calling the preview.

Cheers
manolito
Old 29th September 2020, 18:28   #3335  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Hi manolito, thanks again for the valuable inputs.

Quote:
A very very small correction to the German language file:

Just cosmetic, brings it more in line with other translated lines.
Good, a final build should address cosmetic issue as well

Quote:
I noticed that you overhauled the menu highlight colors. Also no problems, the only thing is for folks who overinstall the new build over an older build will have to reselect the hightlight colors to get the colors they want.
You are right, but it was a necessary change, there was a bug in HL colors management. I can add to the History.txt change log section a note to do a complete uninstall before installing 2.8.9.

Quote:
There were reports by Win10 users that the preview did not work for them. I cannot reproduce this.
I'm aware of this limitation with Win10. Unfortunately I have not found yet a more recent alternative to quartz.dll library. Still searching.

Quote:
Another Win10 related issue seems to be that Win10 updates can sometimes reset the preferred DS filters to the original MS DMO filters.
True, something definitively out of my control. BTW there is already a warning message if a AVC/AAC file is added and if MS filters are the default filters. Hope it is enough to remind users to switch to LAVs.

Quote:
Right now there are already issues with multichannel audio. There are many different 8-ch audio formats, and MediaInfo reports very different output for the number of channels. Sometimes A2D interprets such MediaInfo output as 0 channels. The workaround is to play the source file with a DS based player and check the LAV audio status tab which reports the number of channels which LAV sees. Then the user can manually change the number of audio input channels in A2D.
Likely the routine I use to detect AviSynth script properties could come in handy as "backup plan" when Mediainfo 18.05 is messing with audio channels. I will give it a try. Could slow down the file properties reading section.

Quote:
When A2DSource is selected then the AviSynthP.avs script loads A2DSource.avsi from the "AVStoDVD\Lib" folder. But AviSynthP.avs is called while the active folder is "C:\Windows". This means that A2DSource.avsi is not executed correctly, so the external player will either not work at all, or there will be no audio. Including the Lib folder in the Path does not fix it.
Truly, I cannot reproduce the issue: I have tried with WMPlayer and Tiny Player as external player and the script is rendered properly, both video and audio. The script (AviSynthP.avs, stored in the Temp folder) is exactly the script used during A2D conversion processes, with a simple resizing command at the end to output the correct AR. If the preview is failing, the conversion should fail as well...
Or, maybe, I did not get the issue.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 30th September 2020, 18:17   #3336  |  Link
manolito

Hi MrC,

I found the post where I published my 8-ch audio findings:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...90#post1893390

Unfortunately I did not keep my test clips, and demo-world.eu closed shop recently.

But you could use AVSMeter instead of MediaInfo to retrieve the number of audio channels which the currently used source filter actually sees. No idea if this is feasible...

For the external player issue I made more tests, this time including WinXP and Win7-64. Results:

WMP and Tiny Player worked under both OS

MPC-HC 32 gave this error:
https://i.postimg.cc/HxC6bPHS/MPC-HC-32.png

VirtualDub 1.6.19 did not find an audio decompressor:
https://i.postimg.cc/nrS5KY3C/VDub-Error.png
https://i.postimg.cc/0N5B4Bhb/VDub-Info.png

For me especially VDub is an excellent replacement for the internal preview, because it allows me to do multiple cuts (editing out commercials), and with the help of a small utility called VCF2AVS the edit points can be translated into AviSynth Trim commands.
And as I already mentioned the problems disappear when I use FFMS2 or DirectShowSource, so it must be related to the fact that A2DSource.avsi lies in a different folder so the plugins it tries to load do not load correctly. This happens only for the preview, the encoding is not affected.

Cheers
manolito

//EDIT//
Good news, I managed to solve the problems with the external players...

For MPC-HC it was necessary to copy all the plugin DLLs from the "AVStoDVD\Lib" folder into the "AviSynth\plugins" folder. Easy enough, and I do not expect any adverse effects as long as the plugins in both folders are identical.

For VDub I believe that my old version 1.6.19 was to blame. Upgrading to the latest VDub2 version solved it, and so far this VDub version seems to work nicely even on my ancient desktop computer.

Last edited by manolito; 1st October 2020 at 18:20.
Old 1st October 2020, 22:20   #3337  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Hi manolito, thanks for the double check with VirtualDub2 and MPC-HC.

Another oddity with MPC-HC is that anytime I feed it with a simple AVISource() script, it chokes (no render). Since AVISource is the first choice in A2DSource, that could be another reason of preview failure with MPC-HC.

The AVSMeter workaround to grab audio channels works well. E.g. some dolby atmos tracks are read by MediaInfo as "15 objects / 6 channels". Very, very misleading. AVSMeter way or improved MediaInfo string parsing? Will do some testing. If you have any other exotic audio tracks, please advise.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:50   #3338  |  Link
manolito

For some 8-ch demo clips I found www.demolandia.net quite useful (too bad that demo-world.eu has closed down).

Quote:
AVSMeter way or improved MediaInfo string parsing?
I think that AVSMeter is safer, but also slower. For clips with more than 1 audio track you would have to check the number of audio channels separately for each track, and you would have to use FFMS2 for each track higher than #1. Tough decision...

Cheers
manolito
Old 2nd October 2020, 18:03   #3339  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Another oddity with MPC-HC is that anytime I feed it with a simple AVISource() script, it chokes (no render)
Are you sure you used the 32-bit version of MPC-HC? Because I get this error only when using MPC-HC 64.

And I also managed to find the reason why my old VDub version could not decompress the audio when using it for the preview.
This old version cannot handle 32-bit float audio...
At some point in the A2D develoment you added the line
global OPT_AllowFloatAudio = True
at the beginning of A2DSource.avsi. This command is not present in the AVS script when a source filter like FFMpegSource or DirectShowSource is explicitly specified under preferences, so the old VDub will work. Only if A2DSource is used VDub will choke.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 3rd October 2020 at 01:16.
Old 2nd October 2020, 21:13   #3340  |  Link
manolito

FWIW I found another method at StackOverflow for determining the number of audio channels. It uses FFProbe, this is the call:

Quote:
ffprobe -i yourFile.mp4 -show_entries stream=channels -select_streams a:0 -of compact=p=0:nk=1 -v 0
It looks much clearer than the MediaInfo output for several 8-ch formats. No idea if it is as reliable as the AVSMeter method.

The StackOverflow page is here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ffmpeg-command

Last edited by manolito; 2nd October 2020 at 22:21.