Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 23rd March 2020, 07:22   #1  |  Link
Xirix

What program to use to make v2 patch files for hardcoded subs?

So I do some work for a japanese drama subbing group, who still do hardcodes.

A lot of their releases that were done before I joined have a lot of little mistakes here and there, and when I asked if they'd be redone, the main reason cited was they don't want people to have to re-download the whole thing.

I guess they've never heard of patches, the kinda thing that was being used over a decade ago back when anime subs were hardcoded.

That said I don't know how to actually make them, so say I have an episode with the mistakes and a new encode without the mistakes, what program should I be using to make the patch file?
Old 31st March 2020, 17:03   #2  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

This is how you do it:

Very carefully encode the parts that need to replaced and then splice them back into the original file. You'll most likely need to take keyframe positions and such into consideration.

If you need to mux the file again make certain you use the same version of mkvmerge/whatever.

Then generate a par2 parity file with a small block size (I think it was called) and then figure out how many blocks you need to "repair" using the original file with the errors.

Now I know some of you will say that par2 is only useful for fixing damaged downloads/files on mildly corrupt storage media but it can very successfully be abused for patching too.

Btw, hardsubs are still evil and I'm only telling you this because the solution is technically interesting.
Old 1st April 2020, 11:53   #3  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xirix View Post
So I do some work for a japanese drama subbing group...
Thread closed because Rule 6:
6) No warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content! Links to content of a questionable nature (e.g. anything you don't own and/or have downloaded), asking for, offering, or asking for help/helping to process such content in any way or form is not tolerated.