Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 1st April 2020, 04:29   #1  |  Link
ryrynz

Deep Space Nine upscale project

I recently saw this post over at Extremetech.com and wondered if there was any video editors or upscale/denoiser gurus that might help the author out as he's a bit of an Avisynth noob and is after some pointers to make this upscale even better.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 06:55   #2  |  Link
Katie Boundary

I sent him an email saying I could help with the deinterlacing part.
Old 1st April 2020, 13:42   #3  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
I sent him an email saying I could help with the deinterlacing part.
Hopefully he ignores it as nothing good will come from it.

Last edited by Stereodude; 1st April 2020 at 13:47.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 14:12   #4  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I recently saw this post over at Extremetech.com and wondered if there was any video editors or upscale/denoiser gurus that might help the author out as he's a bit of an Avisynth noob and is after some pointers to make this upscale even better.
The upscale portion of his process isn't his problem. It's what he's feeding into it.

He has no clear stated goal. Is he trying to make 24p? 30p? 60p? VFR?

My understanding is that DS9 has telecined 24p and interlaced video mixed together in frames (where VFX is used). I don't know how you can fix that correctly unless you use masks & treat each portion separately which would be totally impractical because the mask would have to change on a per frame basis. Even then, what do you with the two halves to combine them? Only 120Hz video can contain both without judder or blending on either.

His audio problems make no sense. QTGMC doesn't change the duration of the video. It just doubles the frame rate. And, in my experience QTGMC will shimmer when used on telecined content, which is what he sees. It does do some noise reduction (not as good as MCTD) and it also sharpens the output (unless you explicitly dial it back).
Old 1st April 2020, 14:23   #5  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

The telecined 24p should include all fields at least once so QTGMC should be unnecessary/harmful for those parts (as Stereodude points out it causes shimmer).

The PAL DVDs should be higher resolution (the first two seasons of TNG were converted from NTSC to PAL, after that they were done properly), although the video/effects parts may suffer from the DEFT(?) conversion.

Last edited by wonkey_monkey; 1st April 2020 at 14:29.
wonkey_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 14:28   #6  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkey_monkey View Post
The telecined 24p should include all fields at least once so QTGMC should be unnecessary/harmful for those parts.
Yes, but it's a mess. You can be in the middle of a telecined 24p sequence when all of a sudden some VFX work (which is i60) is composited into the scene for a few seconds. How do you handle that? Engage QTGMC for a few seconds, then turn it back off? Then you've got a 24p section, a 60p section, and a 24p section.
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:39   #7  |  Link
huhn

if it is 24p and 60p maybe 30p is nothing new. stuff like this is released even to day.

VFR encode is clearly do able.
it did this as a test about 10 years ago with a 24p 30p mix source which is pretty easily in comparison because a deinterlancer wasn't needed.

not sure if it was http://www.avisynth.nl/index.php/ExactDedup or just dedup but the trick was 120 HZ and by simply manually multiplying every scene and running the filter over it with a zero tolerance.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2020, 14:37   #8  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

For ExactDeDup, dupe frames have to be bit identical, so probably not work as required on previously compressed source.

EDIT: Maybe I have misunderstood, not sure (no sleep again, brain not working at all). (Will work if newly artifically created dupes [EDIT: ExactDedup will work, not the brain, brain is beyond help ])

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 3rd April 2020 at 16:19.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2020, 15:41   #9  |  Link
SaurusX

I applaud the person trying to tackle this project, but I fear he doesn't know enough to actually accomplish his goal. He talks about Handbrake and QTGMC at the same time, which makes me think he's just flopping about. If I were to do this I would inverse telecine and have a fallback video stream from QTGMC to use if any residual interlacing was detected. TFM() could easily accomplish this and I use a similar approach all the time. I think trying to do a variable frame rate encode based on visual effects and scene cuts is just setting yourself up for project burnout. After all, Paramount remastered TNG for blu-ray ending up with a solid 23.976fps all the way through. So... Do a lossless run to obtain your 23.976fps "master" and then run that through the Topaz software. That's as close as you can get without access to real studio masters.
SaurusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2020, 16:08   #10  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
After all, Paramount remastered TNG for blu-ray ending up with a solid 23.976fps all the way through.
Didn't they redo all the video effects shots?
Old 4th April 2020, 16:13   #11  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Didn't they redo all the video effects shots?
Yes. https://trekmovie.com/trek-remastered/tng-remastered/
Old 4th April 2020, 16:27   #12  |  Link
SaurusX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Unfortunately, we hobbyists don't have that option. So, the TNG 60i effects were redone to 23.976p. Our best option is then to deinterlace the 60i areas and choose specific frames, or more precisely, let TFM do it for us.
SaurusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2020, 19:49   #13  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
Our best option is then to deinterlace the 60i areas and choose specific frames, or more precisely, let TFM do it for us.
And what is the output framerate?

What does your proposed solution look like from a script standpoint?
Old 4th April 2020, 22:36   #14  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
My understanding is that DS9 has telecined 24p and interlaced video mixed together in frames (where VFX is used). I don't know how you can fix that correctly unless you use masks & treat each portion separately which would be totally impractical because the mask would have to change on a per frame basis.
Quote:
Yes, but it's a mess. You can be in the middle of a telecined 24p sequence when all of a sudden some VFX work (which is i60) is composited into the scene for a few seconds. How do you handle that? Engage QTGMC for a few seconds, then turn it back off?
I solved that problem years ago:

Code:
mpeg2source("212.d2v")

Y=nnedi3(field=-2)

A=yadifmod2(mode=1,edeint=Y).selecteven()
B=yadifmod2(mode=1,edeint=Y).selectodd()
C=Tfm(field=1,mode=0,cthresh=2,mthresh=2,clip2=A,micmatching=0)
D=Tfm(field=0,mode=0,cthresh=2,mthresh=2,clip2=B,micmatching=0)
Interleave(C,D)
Tweak other parameters to taste.

Quote:
I applaud the person trying to tackle this project, but I fear he doesn't know enough to actually accomplish his goal. He talks about Handbrake and QTGMC at the same time, which makes me think he's just flopping about
He admitted to being an AVIsynth noob.

Quote:
Unfortunately, we hobbyists don't have that option. So, the TNG 60i effects were redone to 23.976p. Our best option is then to deinterlace the 60i areas and choose specific frames, or more precisely, let TFM do it for us.
Or just bob to p60 and leave it at that.
Old 4th April 2020, 23:56   #15  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
I solved that problem years ago:
You did not "solve the problem." You patched it up to your satisfaction, which is a very different thing.
Old 5th April 2020, 00:34   #16  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
You did not "solve the problem." You patched it up to your satisfaction, which is a very different thing.
I'm not even sure what that script's going to give you as the output. I'm not sure I'm curious enough to try it and see.

I mean I get the output for i60 input will be 60fps and shouldn't have combing, but beyond that I have no idea how the p24 content will be represented in the output.

I'm almost tempted to go get a DS9 DVD. Almost...
Old 5th April 2020, 01:10   #17  |  Link
huhn

not sure what's so hard about this topic VFR encoding are made for like ever.

VFR is one way to get the correct frame rate for all parts the other is 120 HZ which is not an optimal choice for obvious reasons.

time didn't stop:
i never used this way to archive VFR but there are simply better people to answer how to do it but it's even an example for http://avisynth.nl/index.php/TIVTC

it can't be to hard to automatically deint the parts that are detected as hybrid in stead of treating them as PsF.
Old 5th April 2020, 03:27   #18  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
not sure what's so hard about this topic VFR encoding are made for like ever.

VFR is one way to get the correct frame rate for all parts the other is 120 HZ which is not an optimal choice for obvious reasons.

time didn't stop:
i never used this way to archive VFR but there are simply better people to answer how to do it but it's even an example for http://avisynth.nl/index.php/TIVTC

it can't be to hard to automatically deint the parts that are detected as hybrid in stead of treating them as PsF.
It's hard because both types of content are in the exact same frame. It's not some i60 and some telecined p24 content and it switches on a scene by scene or shot by shot basis.

They shot it on film, telecined the film to i60 and then composited into that i60 special effects.
Old 5th April 2020, 08:50   #19  |  Link
huhn

sorry still don't get the issue or what's unusually about that.

i know that the mixed part will have some motion issues that's the creators intent. so motion adaptive deint should be the way to go for that part.
Old 7th April 2020, 11:56   #20  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
I'm not even sure what that script's going to give you as the output. I'm not sure I'm curious enough to try it and see.

I mean I get the output for i60 input will be 60fps and shouldn't have combing, but beyond that I have no idea how the p24 content will be represented in the output.
It looks a lot like it would if you ran it through QTGMC, except better because the fields are properly matched and then left the hell alone instead of bobbed and then run through a dozen rounds of blurring and sharpening.