Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VapourSynth

Old 9th March 2024, 13:24   #4861  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

hydra3333 reported a few issues regarding the portability support and installation in M-AB-S, to be tested...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2024, 13:23   #4862  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

are you going to drop support for CPU without AVX2 like intel ivy bridge architecture (i have i7 3770)

i think there way to optimize VapourSynth for new CPU extensions when it detect without breaking support for old one right ?
Old 10th March 2024, 13:33   #4863  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

AVX2 should not be a minimum requirement, but one of several optimization paths. VapourSynth, as a Python extension, could also run on non-intel CPUs, where a required SSE/AVX support would make no sense but comparable SIMD instruction sets are available instead...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2024, 16:48   #4864  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by amayra View Post
are you going to drop support for CPU without AVX2 like intel ivy bridge architecture (i have i7 3770)

i think there way to optimize VapourSynth for new CPU extensions when it detect without breaking support for old one right ?
Not planned. I do however think it's pointless to write optimized code paths for anything less than AVX2 for new code.

Things that definitely will be dropped at some point:
  • API3 compatibility - in a year or so, everything of value has been converted or will be soon
  • Windows 7 support - probably as a result of Python 3.8 becoming too old, not enough users actually testing it or MS relegating it to a separate compiler option with a long list of quirks much like windows XP support

Also a big part of the reason for requiring SSE2 was feature parity with x64 builds. Lots of instruction support checks that could be skipped and compiling with SSE2 instructions also produces a bit faster code.
Old 10th March 2024, 19:27   #4865  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

i always hate it when developers forced minimum requirement by not optimized application instead they use compiler flags like ("-march=cpu-type", CFLAGS, CCFLAGS and CXXFLAGS )

i fully understand and agreed with dropping old OS that not even modern web browser support

any CPU that don't support SSE2 i don't think can do anything with VS or any other applications

Last edited by amayra; 10th March 2024 at 19:29.
amayra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2024, 12:31   #4866  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

The portable install script and portable zip have now been sneakily updated to fix several annoying issues related to plugin and script paths. Windows 7 support also added, however you'll need to install powershell 5.0 or later to actually run it since the bundled version on win7 is ancient.

Last edited by Myrsloik; 13th March 2024 at 12:33.
Myrsloik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2024, 19:59   #4867  |  Link
_Al_

Quote:
issues related to plugin and script paths
Loading vapoursynth clip from any path to portable vapoursynth could be done via loading script text using importlib module, not using scripts path.
If python loading script utility is in portable directory (or as an app), current path is an utility directory (portable directory), so dlls are loaded from portable directory. VSPipeloads that script (from portable directory) ok.

Is it related to that?
But vapoursynth installed dll's are preferred if vapoursynth is installed, dll's from Program Files/VapourSynth or AppData/Roaming/VapourSynth directory (Selur brought it up couple of times).

Code:
import importlib
vs.clear_outputs()
spec = importlib.util.spec_from_loader('vs_script_text', loader=None)
my_script_module = importlib.util.module_from_spec(spec)
exec(script_text, my_script_module.__dict__)
clip = vs.get_output(index)[0]
#or: clip = my_script_module.clip
_Al_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2024, 20:11   #4868  |  Link
Selur

Quote:
Selur brought it up couple of times
Yeah, still hoping that we will one day get a way to disable autoloading inside a script.

Tags
speed, vaporware, vapoursynth