Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 15th May 2008, 17:36   #1  |  Link
leeland

DivX Playback on Xbox360 questions...

I recently got a Xbox 360 and got it mainly to be able to stream movies from our home library to it, and to play the occasional game

I am in the early stages of wanting to convert some of our DVD library to one of the supported formats and was curious on some of the "options" for optimal playback.

I am not too concerned about file size but I am concerned about the video quality, sound, ect...

is there a "recommended" best format/codec (DivX, Xvid, MPEG-4 AVC/ H.264) is for an xbox 360 playback?

I have played around with a couple of the formats (DivX and Xvid) and have been happy with the results so far.

I am by all accounts pretty green with re-encoding DVD's to other formats so I was hoping to get some specific information

My setup is as follows...

NAS
I have a QNAP TS-209 NAS that has a TwonkyMedia media server built into it...so I can stream to the Xbox 360...

Application
I have toyed around with Fairuse 2.6 because it is pretty easy to use...

Just curious if there is a "better" / "more efficient" application out there...free is obviously preferred but not necessary by any means.

Main RANDOM QUESTION

So...I understand to "some extent" that you get a movie and it is a "Wide Screen" movie...but it doesn't always match up with your "wide screen" TV in regards to the "aspect ratio" so you still get the black bars on the top and bottom as a result...which I find annoying

Please correct me if I am wrong!!

Is there a way "via an application" to fix that when you convert a DVD to DivX or some other format? So that the resolution / aspect ratio will match the resolution on the TV so that you WON'T get the black bars and it will fill the entire landscape of your TV?

Put another way...can you re-encode a DVD movie (which would have the black bars on the top and bottom) so the "aspect ratio" fits a specific TV (and not have the black bars)?

Our TV that I am curious about is Toshiba REGZA 37HL67 37-inch 720p LCD HDTV

It has a Resolution of 1366 x 768

Is there some sort of formula you can use to figure out the aspect ratio or resolution to re-encode at?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has some recommendations...

And I apologize if I missed something in my post, I did search around a little bit but there is SO many posts and I didn't see anything specifically about my question.

Lee
leeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 14:30   #2  |  Link
Ronin-7

If file size isn't an issue then the best thing to do is do a couple of encodes of a movie with DivX/XviD/H.264 and compare to see if you notice anything yourself. If you don't are happy with DivX stick with what you know, if you want to test out H.264 try Ripbot.

As for the widescreen topic I understand what your on about, some wide screen movies occupy all of the screen but these are not very common.

I'm not an expert though so I'm not sure what the correct terminology is but I do know Pixar calls these "full frame" movies. These full frame movies are not to be confused with full screen movies which are for non-wide TV's & crop the picture.

The black borders are normal for widescreen movies it's just the odd wide movie is done in full frame.

When you encode a movie and it strips away the black border if you try resize so it goes into full frame it will mess up the aspect ratio and make the video look weird on screen, maybe someone else knows any tips in this area as I said I'm no expert.
Ronin-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 23:08   #3  |  Link
leeland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin-7 View Post
If file size isn't an issue then the best thing to do is do a couple of encodes of a movie with DivX/XviD/H.264 and compare to see if you notice anything yourself. If you don't are happy with DivX stick with what you know, if you want to test out H.264 try Ripbot.

As for the widescreen topic I understand what your on about, some wide screen movies occupy all of the screen but these are not very common.

I'm not an expert though so I'm not sure what the correct terminology is but I do know Pixar calls these "full frame" movies. These full frame movies are not to be confused with full screen movies which are for non-wide TV's & crop the picture.

The black borders are normal for widescreen movies it's just the odd wide movie is done in full frame.

When you encode a movie and it strips away the black border if you try resize so it goes into full frame it will mess up the aspect ratio and make the video look weird on screen, maybe someone else knows any tips in this area as I said I'm no expert.
Hi Ronin,

Thanks for the reply and I have seen what you are talking about if you "attempt" to encode a movie and stript out the black border and resize it to do full frame...it basically cuts off the left and right sides of the movie...which is what I was attempting to get rid of...however I only used one tool and tried it a couple of times with fairuse

Do you or anyone else for the matter of discussion notice a difference in visual clarity when comparing DivX, Xvid, or H.264? Just curious, I am sure it is all preference...

Thanks,
lee
leeland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aspect ratio, encoding, resolution, xbox360