Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 28th August 2011, 21:59   #1  |  Link
portella

x264vfw and aac question

Hi Everybody,

I know that x264vfw is great in video conversions but I was wondering a way to record my camera with him.

I already use TvideoGrabber from datastead.com http://www.datastead.com/products/tv.../download.html for WMV recording, recently they update the component to record in mp4 too. Following their own tutorial http://www.datastead.com/tvideograbb...mples.html#MP4 I can record my camera and audio but about 00:01:25 of recording, my camera starts to "hiccup".

One thing I note is that without capturing audio, the video file pass 00:01:25 of recording without problem and my camera doesn't "hiccup".

I believe there is some configuration in x264vfw i don't know, so I would like to know about you guys.

1) Anyone can record with x264vfw? Which is the basic configs?

2) Anybody have any idea why i'm having this problem?

PS: i'm using x264vfw last version, windows XP, Intel processor I5
portella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 10:37   #2  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Quote:
VideoGrabber.CompressionMode = cm_CompressOnTheFly
There you go. CompressOnTheFly can't keep the pace of frames coming in.

I would avoid any transcoding while capturing.

I would suggest to capture in native source format
(only this should be called capturing, IMHO,
the goal should be to get the source to HDD frame by frame, not risking any drops,
no conversions attempted, we have time to do this later on)
or if one can afford the storage space, as uncompressed.

Any MPEG-4 AVC takes so much processing power to encode, especially for HD sources
that encoding really should be the final step before delivery.

If one attempts to encode HD resolutions to H.264 in realtime, so online,
the final quality will have to suffer compared to what would have been available if encoded with slower settings and offline.

Here x264 blu-ray HD encodes take some 0,7..2.5fps per pass, CPU and commandline depending.
No heavy Avisynth filtering included (!)

Last edited by Emulgator; 1st September 2011 at 10:41.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 12:45   #3  |  Link
portella

I understand.. recently i find out a new way to encoding.. (at least work great in GraphStudio)

I am now trying to use Monogram X264, Monogram AAC and Monogram Mp4 Muxer to do mp4 files.. So far it works great in GraphStudio.. My problem is:

TVideoGrabber list as video and audio compressors filters that are registered in VideoCompressors and AudioCompressors category, but MONOGRAM's filters are registered in DirectShow Filters category..

So the question is: How can I register / move the filters to VideoCompressors / AudioCompressors list?

Believing this way would fix my problem with TVideoGrabber
portella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 13:03   #4  |  Link
nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by portella View Post
I understand.. recently i find out a new way to encoding.. (at least work great in GraphStudio)

I am now trying to use Monogram X264, Monogram AAC and Monogram Mp4 Muxer to do mp4 files.
Those Monogram filters are over two years old and the AAC filter uses FAAC, which should be avoided if possible. I wouldn't use any of the Monogram filters for final encodes.

I repeat Emulgator's recommendation to capture (nearly) losslessly and then re-encode later to H.264 & AAC. x264(vfw) may be suitable for the lossless capture task with fast settings. UtVideo is also worth trying (discussed in English here).

Last edited by nm; 1st September 2011 at 13:05.
nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aac, issue, mp4, recording, x264vfw