Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd February 2016, 00:30   #36341  |  Link
FDisk80

Also volume OSD is not visible anymore. It just shows the background.

Edit: Looks like the white text comes back in "low latency" mode for some reason. As soon as the Present queue goes up it turns black again and for volume OSD turns transparent.

Last edited by FDisk80; 22nd February 2016 at 00:37.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 00:37   #36342  |  Link
Unr3aL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The only mode I found which worked decently on a 144Hz screen is D3D9 Overlay. All others have the present queue running nearly empty. Not sure why this is tied to the refresh rate though.
I think this was discussed a long time ago. It's hard to say now, but wasn't the issue tied to multi-monitor setups alone?
I thought it had something to do with timings not playing well if one of the monitors had a high (120, 144Hz) refresh rate and happened to be the one the movie was played on...
It could've also just been a wild guess at that time.

I myself happen to have a 120Hz monitor and I use a projector for movies.
Playing @120Hz on the monitor never really worked for me without a lot of visible jerking and judder as well as tons of presentation glitches.
The only thing that helped was going back to old path and playing around with the number of backbuffers used.
That issue (for me) dates back to when the new render path was introduced.

I've never tried upping the GPU queue though, so far I am auto-changing to 60Hz - minor annoyance...

Greetz, Unr3aL67
Unr3aL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 01:01   #36343  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by yok833 View Post
Here it is
https://goo.gl/photos/mZ1VnWQAghWik7ct9

when I press stop or an arrow to move forward the information on the left side and the subtitles turn white again???
Same issue here with OSD in black since 0.90.11.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 01:02   #36344  |  Link
RyuzakiL

Image Upscaling JincAR+SL

SOrry for the noob question but for what use is the scale in sigmoidal light in Image Upscaling?

I don't see any noticeable changes in PQ with it on but I notice some slight decrease in performance.

And also I'm using the latest version which is v0.90.11 and I experience black colored fonts in the subs and ctrl+j.

and also ctrl+j reports that I'm still using Lanzcos3AR even if I selected JincAR as my Image Upscaler so what gives??
RyuzakiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 01:08   #36345  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
4) "crispen edges" and "sharpen edges" have a stronger effect now because their internal anti-ringing filters were removed. "crispen edges" now looks much nearer to the original FineSharp algorithm. The new sharpening anti-ringing filter should help remove most ringing artifacts caused by "crispen edges", "sharpen edges" and "LumaSharpen", without lessening the sharpening effect much. Because the new AR filter seems to work pretty well, I've re-introduced a "linear light" option for "crispen edges" (formerly known as FineSharp). Would be great to get your feedback about whether you prefer linear light on/off, and whether there are still the same artifacts that made us remove the FineSharp linear light option in the past (at that time we didn't have a good AR filter). Also please let me know if the AR filter works as expected.
even 4.0 sharp edges or crispen edge has nearly no effect when scaling 1080p to 2160p even with disabled AR filter.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 01:37   #36346  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Hey madshi i tried to test supersampling on 720p content on my 1360x768 screen, the doubling is working but upscaling refinements not, no matter what sharpen algo i check dont do any diference on image and on osd don't affect the render times... Same with super resolution!
I even tried to check all the upscaling refinements but has no changes on picture and render times...

Remember that on last month i asked why upscaling refinements not working on 720p on 1360x768 screens.
You said that because upscaling was very little so upscaling refinements are not activated

I was thinking if somewow this can be relate to that (supersampling upscaling refinements not activated because the Target resolution is the same or very near the movie original resolution)

By the way thank you again for madvr, every week we get a better picture quality! Its very impressive!

Last edited by CarlosCaco; 22nd February 2016 at 02:23.
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 03:06   #36347  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
This practically allows you to run all the sharpening algos in supersampling mode.
what does this mean? that normal BD playback on a 1080p screen now looks better with all this applied than when just viewing the movie normally?
Old 22nd February 2016, 03:42   #36348  |  Link
leandronb

Updated to the newer version and after a while with no problems it gave me the same error.
I used the debug mode to create the log, it created a 69MB file and i compressed it to 3mb and uploaded to mega.
Steps i did, opened an episode, went fullscreen, skipped 1, skipped 2 and it gave me the black screen i said earlier, hit esc to exit fullscreen and closed mpc.
this is the link:
https://mega.nz/#!tAIVEIoL!YjThiXXYo...2yv0isJBuGLuGU

thanks in advance.
Old 22nd February 2016, 04:15   #36349  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
what does this mean? that normal BD playback on a 1080p screen now looks better with all this applied than when just viewing the movie normally?
Potentially yes. The algorithms have a larger image to work on that gets downscaled so the end result should look neater than them being applied to a straight 1080 image.. Then you get the visual benefits of downscaling from one of madVR's HQ downscalers. Essentially you'll be getting as close to 4k as you can get on your full HD screen with today's readily available full HD content.

Last edited by ryrynz; 22nd February 2016 at 04:26.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 04:28   #36350  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
"better" is clearly not the term i would use here "different" is more like it.

it is clearly against the creators intent and a good source doesn't need sharpening.
Old 22nd February 2016, 04:30   #36351  |  Link
evil-doer

In .11 the OSD isnt just black for me. The entire video is black, until I either resize the window, or fullscreen it.
evil-doer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 04:47   #36352  |  Link
KhR0N1K

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
Yes, same issue.
ya same issue here the Ctrl-J OSD stats are black unless the video is paused then it turns white. also as he said something wrong with the volume OSD just showing black rectangle as well.

also if i use the "show name of media files" in the OSD options on MPC-BE is just shows up as a black rectangle when the player opens as well with no white text inside where the filename should b inside the black/grey rectangle
KhR0N1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 05:15   #36353  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it is clearly against the creators intent and a good source doesn't need sharpening.
And yet most displays on the planet used by consumers have added sharpness.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 05:29   #36354  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
And yet most displays on the planet used by consumers have added sharpness.
and they have a vivid mode too so what's the point?

it's not mastered to be watched this way.

whatever someone does with the image is up to the user. if they want to watch it the correct way or in vivid mode is there choice.
Old 22nd February 2016, 05:38   #36355  |  Link
XRyche

Is there any way to set up a profile based on what resizer is used? For example: If you only wanted to use a post processing sharpener if Jinc AR was used as an upscaler.
Old 22nd February 2016, 05:39   #36356  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-doer View Post
In .11 the OSD isnt just black for me. The entire video is black, until I either resize the window, or fullscreen it.
Same happened to me. Although I did not try to resize window (I am a FSE kinda guy)... I just rolled back to previous version until the bug gets sorted out.

QB
Old 22nd February 2016, 05:41   #36357  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRyche View Post
Is there any way to set up a profile based on what resizer is used? For example: If you only wanted to use a post processing sharpener if Jinc AR was used as an upscaler.
kind of complicated but yes this is possible.
Old 22nd February 2016, 05:43   #36358  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:
kind of complicated but yes this is possible.
Any idea how I would go about it because I'm stumped?
Old 22nd February 2016, 06:06   #36359  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRyche View Post
Any idea how I would go about it because I'm stumped?
for of all you need a profile that is using jinc3AR when the conditions are meet and this profile is using the correct image refinement.

so the first step is creating profiles that are jinc when you want to use jinc.

so you are not setting up a profile depending on the resizer you make sure the correct resizer is used with the correct image refinement.

same result different approach.
Old 22nd February 2016, 06:09   #36360  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
"better" is clearly not the term i would use here "different" is more like it.

I've embraced image sharpening as an enhancement of the content material.

The content creator did not plan for poor lighting conditions, bad captures, source compression or many other things that go into producing a Blu-ray or broadcast TV series. Image sharpening can bring out detail that is in the source but is hard to see on a typical display without making it look unnatural.

However, I'd like to see what supersampling looks like compared to applying light sharpening to the unscaled source.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling