Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Closed Thread

Old 3rd June 2019, 11:45   #4701  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

That seems like a lot of work to solve a problem that hardly anyone will ever face, and it could introduce unforeseen problems.
Old 3rd June 2019, 11:48   #4702  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkey_monkey View Post
That seems like a lot of work to solve a problem that hardly anyone will ever face, and it could introduce unforeseen problems.
Not really, the guy above has already foreseen these unforeseen problems.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:42   #4703  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
No problem.
1. Do a discovery of all DLLs and what's in them
2. Once the script is loaded and started rendering, unload everything that is not in use
NOTE: We still know what functions are available and where
3. If a function is later called that is unloaded, load it.

Otherwise, while we have any script playing that uses auto-loading, we cannot update any dll files.
I think this was actually the original Avisynth strategy. Mostly due to processes at the time being very limited in the number of simultaneous dlls that could be loaded so if you stuffed the autoload directory full you could actually encounter this problem.

Nowadays you can load a gazillion of dlls as long as you compile them with a shared runtime so there's really no reason to do things like that.
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:05   #4704  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrsloik View Post
I think this was actually the original Avisynth strategy. Mostly due to processes at the time being very limited in the number of simultaneous dlls that could be loaded so if you stuffed the autoload directory full you could actually encounter this problem.
The limit was 50 DLLs and still is in AVS 2.6.1 Alpha.
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:19   #4705  |  Link
qyot27
...?

What that sounds like is akin to the plugin cache index idea I'd proposed way way back when the fork had just happened. I can't even remember what the actual reason was; I think it may have been to save resource usage by not going through the 'autoload everything->unload everything->load only what the script uses' dance when the environment starts. Certainly nothing to do with files being locked (and because it's still autoloading everything at startup, it's not saving anything resource-wise).

Found it. And the actual reason: it was to avoid bad plugins (the example given was one of the versions of WarpSharp) crashing the environment even when they aren't being used in the script, just because they were being autoloaded.
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:28   #4706  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
What that sounds like is akin to the plugin cache index idea I'd proposed way way back when the fork had just happened. I can't even remember what the actual reason was; I think it may have been to save resource usage by not going through the 'autoload everything->unload everything->load only what the script uses' dance when the environment starts. Certainly nothing to do with files being locked (and because it's still autoloading everything at startup, it's not saving anything resource-wise).

Found it. And the actual reason: it was to avoid bad plugins (the example given was one of the versions of WarpSharp) crashing the environment even when they aren't being used in the script, just because they were being autoloaded.
As a bonus some compilers (looking at you borland) would change the FPU rounding mode so some other poor plugin would crash. Good times!
Old 3rd June 2019, 15:26   #4707  |  Link
real.finder

well, it's still case problems https://github.com/pinterf/AviSynthP...ment-463595150 and https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...postcount=4508
Old 3rd June 2019, 16:01   #4708  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Dont know if any longer the case, but,
I used to have problems with Script Function Named Difference(), (probably back in either v2.58 or early v2.6 Alpha), I tracked it down to similar named plug func
in (I think) one of Kassandro's dll's. No idea why, as Script Functions are supposed to Override dll which are supposed to Override Builtin.

I just renamed Script function to something else (ClipDelta which I figured would not be chosen by anyone else).

EDIT: (Plugin_Autoload_and_Name_Precedence AND Plugin Autoload and Conflicting Function Names ):- http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Plugins...ame_Precedence

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 3rd June 2019 at 20:48.
Old 4th June 2019, 16:36   #4709  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Hello. After much kind help I've finally made the switch to AviSynth+ and native 16-bit, and I'm wondering if there's any way to improve my encoding speed. My usual script, on a quad-core x64 Windows 7 setup, using x86 MeGUI with x86 AviSynth+ and the latest versions of all necessary plugins-filters is:

Code:
DGSource Information Here
SetFilterMTMode("Default_MT_Mode",2)
SMDegrain(TR=x,ThSAD=xxx,RefineMotion=True,Plane=0,Chroma=False,n16=True,n16_Out=True)
FastLineDarkenMod4()
ConvertToDoubleWidth()
F3KDB(Y=100,Cb=100,Cr=100,GrainY=0,GrainC=0,Input_Mode=2,Output_Mode=2)
PreFetch(5)
# Sent To 10-bit x264
I ask because I'm achieving ~75% of the encoding speed I had with SEt's AviSynthMT and stacked 16-bit using older versions of the necessary plugins-filters, and I figure that I missed something along the way . Thanks for any suggestions.

Edit: Any ideas anyone?

Last edited by LouieChuckyMerry; 9th June 2019 at 18:33. Reason: System Info; Bump
Old 10th June 2019, 12:11   #4710  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Just out of curiosity:

VirtualDub2 can load various filetypes (MKV, MPEG2, MP4, etc) instantly, without - I assume - having to do any indexing. Is there are any reason why an AviSynth source filter couldn't work the same way, so as to do away with the slow first load? Or is there a source plugin that already does this?
Old 10th June 2019, 12:34   #4711  |  Link
ChaosKing

The only plugin I know of is LSMASHVideoSource. But it only supports ISO file containers, like *.mov, *.mp4, *.m4v, *.3gp, *.3g2, *.mj2, *.dvb, *.dcf, *.m21,
Old 10th June 2019, 16:22   #4712  |  Link
poisondeathray

DirectShowSource , DSS2 can too , but it can be unreliable
Old 10th June 2019, 21:20   #4713  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosKing View Post
The only plugin I know of is LSMASHVideoSource. But it only supports ISO file containers, like *.mov, *.mp4, *.m4v, *.3gp, *.3g2, *.mj2, *.dvb, *.dcf, *.m21,
Hmm, so it probably shouldn't say "It uses FFmpeg (libavcodec) to decode all supported audio and video formats." on the wiki, then (the bold text links to an FFmpeg page).

I'm somewhat wary of a filter which throws an exception for a missing file, as well...
Old 10th June 2019, 21:30   #4714  |  Link
ChaosKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkey_monkey View Post
Hmm, so it probably shouldn't say "It uses FFmpeg (libavcodec) to decode all supported audio and video formats." on the wiki, then (the bold text links to an FFmpeg page).
As long the video is in a mp4 container it should be decoded. So not entirely false.
Old 11th June 2019, 00:53   #4715  |  Link
qyot27
...?

It'd only be false if it said FFmpeg (libavformat, rather) was being used to demux it when using LSMASH[Video|Audio]Source. It isn't. LSMASH is demuxing it and passing the video and audio over to libavcodec. The LwLibav[Video|Audio]Source functions, on the other hand, do use only FFmpeg (libavformat->libavcodec).
Old 11th June 2019, 05:10   #4716  |  Link
stax76

@pinterf

Maybe you like this idea too:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...02#post1876802
Old 11th June 2019, 08:01   #4717  |  Link
ryrynz

Yeah please. 32-bit x86 can stop to stop being relevant.
Old 11th June 2019, 08:31   #4718  |  Link
pinterf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieChuckyMerry View Post
using x86 MeGUI with x86 AviSynth+
[...]
I ask because I'm achieving ~75% of the encoding speed I had with SEt's AviSynthMT and stacked 16-bit using older versions of the necessary plugins-filters, and I figure that I missed something along the way . Thanks for any suggestions.

Edit: Any ideas anyone?
Without seeing the real memory consumption (avsmeter is a good help for that), I'd say that the default memory is too small for Prefetch(5). Try giving a larger SetMemoryMax value. Or change for x64.
Old 13th June 2019, 15:08   #4719  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinterf View Post
Without seeing the real memory consumption (avsmeter is a good help for that), I'd say that the default memory is too small for Prefetch(5). Try giving a larger SetMemoryMax value. Or change for x64.
Thanks for your reply, pinterf. I'll try various combinations of "SetMemoryMax()" and "PreFetch()" and see if I can improve my speed (and thanks for the AVSMeter reminder). I'm keen to try AviSynth+ x64; any suggestions for a good place to find the required x64 plugins-filters?
Old 13th June 2019, 18:07   #4720  |  Link
Zetti

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/AviSynth+_x64_plugins
Closed Thread