Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th April 2019, 01:25   #201  |  Link
hotripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi70 View Post
I have a 2080 and I have the stutter issue too. I have no problems at all when im on the 418.91 driver. everything after that version I have the stutter issue. madvr is not reporting any problems and I tried every proposed fix posted here with no improvements.
when im in windowed mode there is no stutter too. it seems to be a full screen exclusive mode issue.
its a shame Im stuck on this driver now that they have released a HDR fix on the latest too.
Yep sounds exactly like what I was experiencing. My fix has worked for me. Sorry it didnt work for you. I cant go back to that driver, I game a lot and don't really wanna miss those updates as I actually play the ones they improved. And I have tried that driver and it only fixed it temporarily but after a couple of restarts over a few days it just came back. So might as well have latest driver, for me anyways. Seems like madvr might need a new update for the new cards but I believe he is busy with his project atm.

Havent noticed Nvidia container using high cpu, and I have been watching during trying to trubleshoot the stutter issue.
Old 28th April 2019, 10:23   #202  |  Link
el Filou

I think the Display Container LS only happens if you use standby/sleep.
Old 28th April 2019, 10:55   #203  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
And when did that last happen?

What makes you think it will be any different in the future?

This thread really show the poor state of drivers/OS incompatibilities.

Frankly, they could have released a driver with everything working (HDR passthrough and HDR API in 8bits) before axing 3D... but they didn't.
Well, ... there is nothing that needs to be added, except at least the devs should be paid great for their work if I consider the prices of the green cards.

@all:
What is exactly the problem some guys here have with AMD cards? I have several different ones here, I know these are not the fastest, but I am happy with them and these were not expensive.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 13:02   #204  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
@all:
What is exactly the problem some guys here have with AMD cards? I have several different ones here, I know these are not the fastest, but I am happy with them and these were not expensive.
My problem is described here.
DMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 13:09   #205  |  Link
Klaus1189

Thank you, what file were you playing? Does it occur on hdr demo videos as well, so I can test, too? Maybe you can provide a link to a HDR file. Are you using HDR passthrough or processed in madVR?
Old 28th April 2019, 13:38   #206  |  Link
DMU

File here.
HDR passthrough.
Post about your results, please.

Last edited by DMU; 28th April 2019 at 13:51.
Old 28th April 2019, 13:59   #207  |  Link
Klaus1189

Cannot download file, seems it has too many downloads.
I search for other sources. Do you have another source?
Old 28th April 2019, 14:15   #208  |  Link
DMU

Lets try from here.
Old 28th April 2019, 14:42   #209  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Anyway I'm in the process of moving away from the HTPC altogether for film playback, provided that Envy delivers what we expect. Too much hassle really between OS, drivers and other issues.
And what do you plan on using, if I may ask? I don't see much around supporting everything correctly.
One needs bitstreaming for all audio formats, proper HDR with metadata and autoswitching, proper refresh rates with autoswitching... is there something around that offers all that?
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 17:06   #210  |  Link
Klaus1189

It is not darker here. Only in FSE the composition rate is 60 which is wrong, but I don't know if it is an AMD issue or an Win 10 1809 issue, older versions of Win10 didn't had this issue. But it doesn't bother me, since I am fine in FSW, also the other issue is not relevant in FSW.
I tried to take screenshots directly but if you use passthrough the final pic is not displaying it right and in FSE I only got black picture, silly me, I knew that but forgot about it.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...O4?usp=sharing
I do get wrong colors in FSE, see also this issue on videohelp.com and also here here, FSW are the right colors. It also happens on SDR videos, I have a sample video of natural green grass which shows it perfectly. If it is shown wrong it gets very unnatural green, see also the color pattern in one of the videohelp threads.

Side note: Please use matching refresh rates, on your pics you were using 60 Hz for 23 Hz content. Avoid 3:2 Pulldown. But maybe you are using motion interpolation in madVR? Some love it some hate it.

Last edited by Klaus1189; 28th April 2019 at 18:07.
Old 28th April 2019, 17:35   #211  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
It is not darker here. I am fine in FSW.
I assume that you have Polaris, not Vega?
Quote:
Side note: Please use matching refresh rates, on your pics you were using 60 Hz for 23 Hz content. Avoid 3:2 Pulldown. But maybe you are using motion interpolation in madVR? Some love it some hate it.
I understand this, but it does not cause me inconvenience.
I do not use Smooth motion.
Old 28th April 2019, 17:39   #212  |  Link
Klaus1189

Yes, Polaris RX480. I have a Vega 64 also here, but can not test now.

Just take a look at 50p videofile displayed at 60 Hz, it looks awful, especially during pans. I can only recommend using matched refresh rates. In my opinion one of the most important things.
Old 28th April 2019, 17:48   #213  |  Link
DMU

If possible, check this at Vega later. I think this is a problem of Vega.
Thank you for your recommendations. But I do not use content with a frequency of more than 30p.

Last edited by DMU; 28th April 2019 at 17:50.
Old 28th April 2019, 20:14   #214  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
And what do you plan on using, if I may ask? I don't see much around supporting everything correctly.
One needs bitstreaming for all audio formats, proper HDR with metadata and autoswitching, proper refresh rates with autoswitching... is there something around that offers all that?
Off topic, but yes, I have an Oppo 203 clone (no disc) that does all that perfectly, and I'm working with a software developer friend at the moment to get a better interface from an iPad with a popular front end, as the Oppo 203 wasn't supported.

All the other media players I've looked at have issues with video and/or audio. The Dune Pro 4K could have been a great option but it doesn't look like it will ever work properly with the current chipset.

We've managed to get DVD/BD/UHD BD Folders working with this Oppo 203 clone. Files (mkv, ISOs) are a no go for now, but I already have all my discs ripped as folders anyway. I'll simply have to convert my 300 3D BD ISO rips to BD folders if we don't find a solution to play files (this is a limitation on the Oppo app itself, so hard to overcome as we have no command to sniff on the network). This will cost storage for 3D (double the space vs ISOs), but as my 3D collection isn't really growing, not too much of an issue. That won't help you if all your collection is in mkv or ISOs and if you're not willing to convert it.

Of course this will only work when/if the Envy lands, there is no way I can use this without a 3D LUT and HDR dynamic tonemapping with pixel shaders. At least not with my JVC projector, as the tonemapping is ok but far from being as good as what madVR delivers.

So for now, my HTPC is still very much necessary, but hopefully not for long .

EDIT: funnily enough, this is the post of the devil: my post count is 666 as of now
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 28th April 2019 at 20:17.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2019, 11:28   #215  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Off topic, but yes, I have an Oppo 203 clone (no disc) that does all that perfectly, and I'm working with a software developer friend at the moment to get a better interface from an iPad with a popular front end, as the Oppo 203 wasn't supported.
Oppo 203 clone? Details in PM, if you can. Edit: don't worry I've found everything. After more than a decade of Kodi, I could not go back to a GUI like that but it's a very interesting development, for sure.
Quote:
funnily enough, this is the post of the devil: my post count is 666 as of now
I lured you here, son. There's no escaping now. Surrender to the dark side.

Last edited by ashlar42; 29th April 2019 at 11:44.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2019, 13:06   #216  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Oppo 203 clone? Details in PM, if you can. Edit: don't worry I've found everything. After more than a decade of Kodi, I could not go back to a GUI like that but it's a very interesting development, for sure.
You must have missed the part where I mentioned the work I'm doing to get this supported with a very popular front end on any tablet, phone etc, so that you can select the title you want to watch on a modern, beautiful interface and get it to play on the clone.

Unfortunately this requires a PC/laptop as a bridge between the tablet/phone and the clone, but the result is great: pretty and fully-featured interface on iPad (search, categories, genres, etc), flawless playback for all content, zero driver/OS headaches

Again, not an option for me until Envy lands, but very much looking forward to testing this combo.

Sorry everyone for the OT, let's move on
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2019, 16:15   #217  |  Link
Klaus1189

Manni, just one last time offtopic. What App are you using with your clone 203? Do you have any link for the app and the clone. I got it that there is work to do, but maybe I could need at least one thing of these in future for anything. I am open to see new things.
Old 29th April 2019, 16:41   #218  |  Link
cremor

Important note about 430.39:
Many users (myself included) report about high CPU usage of the process NVDisplay.Container.exe. Nvidia acknowledged the bug here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...36972/#6036972
cremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2019, 19:18   #219  |  Link
Asmodian

Interesting, may be related to the stutter some users are also experiencing? I do not see any CPU usage by NVDisplay Container, all instances of it show 0% CPU usage, and I do not have stuttering.
Old 30th April 2019, 00:02   #220  |  Link
hotripper

May be a sleep issue
I dont think it has anything to do with the stuttering issues, I have stuttering but do not see ANY apps or services utilizing cpu abnormally

Last edited by hotripper; 30th April 2019 at 00:04.
hotripper is offline   Reply With Quote