Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 5th March 2018, 08:59   #5121  |  Link
manolito

Thanks Mosu for the quick fix. Works nicely here...

And a few words in defense of TSDoctor:

Just for fun I installed a more than 5 year old version (1.2.xxx) of the Doctor and repeated the test. Result was exactly the same. So if you insist that TSDoctor creates broken files then it has been doing this for a very very long time. And so far I am not aware that anyone has ever complained about such broken files.

@mkver
Quote:
I did not compare ProjectX to TSDoctor; I just said that I used ProjectX to analyze your sample.
I was just a little surprised that you tried using ProjectX at all on this sample. ProjectX does not deal with AVC video and AAC audio.

And if you do not know why anyone uses TSDoctor at all, just download the trial version and throw some corrupted broadcast captures at it. From the first page of the manual:

Quote:
Cypheros TS-Doctor was designed to scan digital Transport Streams for errors and
correct them in a way that the resulting file(s) will play back without surges, dropouts
or diverging sound and picture on Hardware- or Software-Media players.
Unlike some other tools, TS-Doctor tries to keep the original stream as untouched as
possible during error correction, thus avoiding the creation of additional incompatibilities.

Cheers
manolito
Old 5th March 2018, 09:30   #5122  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I didn't say TSDoctor is buggy, I said that if it didn't increase the continuity counter in this case, then it would be buggy. It does increase it, though, and therefore isn't buggy. What it is doing is simply curious: creating TS packets without any payload in it. Such packets could simply be skipped, making the file smaller.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 5th March 2018, 09:55   #5123  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
I didn't say TSDoctor is buggy...
No, you didn't, but mkver sure did...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkver View Post
Anyway, this faulty header information...
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkver View Post
I don't see that TSDoctor fixed your TS file; the file it created is corrupted as I have explained.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 5th March 2018 at 09:58.
Old 5th March 2018, 15:03   #5124  |  Link
mkver

It seems that the specs agree with TSDoctor about this after all; but given that the existence of packets falsely claiming to contain payload is very strange to say the least and given that the release mkvmerge version worked with the original file I presume that these packets were created by TSDoctor (maybe because it thinks that some players don't like variable bitrate?). And even if one wants constant bitrate (which is incompatible with the goal of removing filler data) one could do so by inserting packets that not even claim to have a payload.
And yes, I know that ProjectX doesn't really support H.264. But I used it just to check the continuity counters and other things at the transport stream layer and it can do this even with unsupported tracks.
But let's not derail this thread any more. If you want to continue to talk about this, let's do it via PM.
Old 7th March 2018, 14:57   #5125  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

@Mosu

Why doesn't delay work with subs (I am trying with srts). Is it a choice or a limit?
Old 7th March 2018, 15:06   #5126  |  Link
sneaker_ger

It should work. Try again. If you can't get it to work provide samples and command-line.
Old 7th March 2018, 16:17   #5127  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
Why doesn't delay work with subs (I am trying with srts). Is it a choice or a limit?
It works just fine. If you have problems, then please post the actual command line used, like sneaker_ger has said.

Old 7th March 2018, 16:19   #5128  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
It works just fine. If you have problems, then please post the actual command line used, like sneaker_ger has said.
Is there a way to get command line from GUI? I insert streams and delays there.
Old 7th March 2018, 16:38   #5129  |  Link
ChaosKing

Yes, look at the menu: Multiplexer -> Show command line (Visualizza linea di comando)
Old 7th March 2018, 17:07   #5130  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Tried again. It indeed works. I was mislead from gMKVExtractGUI that doesn't show delay as it does for audio. Is there any way to find srt (sub) delay from muxed mkv?
Old 7th March 2018, 17:10   #5131  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Subtitles are a sparse stream, which means there really is no inherent "delay". Audio and Video typically always start right at time 0, and any difference here can be considered a "delay".
Subtitles only start when there is actual text to be shown, so any information of how much you delayed it during muxing is essentially lost - because it just gets baked into the timstamps of the subtitles.
Old 7th March 2018, 17:13   #5132  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Subtitles are a sparse stream, which means there really is no inherent "delay". Audio and Video typically always start right at time 0, and any difference here can be considered a "delay".
Subtitles only start when there is actual text to be shown, so any information of how much you delayed it during muxing is essentially lost - because it just gets baked into the timstamps of the subtitles.
Old 15th March 2018, 14:32   #5133  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Hi Mosu

For long time I don't use an .mtxcfg file, but now I realized I can't open the MTX with the mtxcfg (double-click).
What has changed and what can I do to restore this behavior?
Old 15th March 2018, 15:25   #5134  |  Link
cherishjoo

It's a great program!
Old 15th March 2018, 17:43   #5135  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

@hubble4 Nothing has changed. The installer doesn't set a file association for.mtxcfg. You'll have to do that yourself.

Old 15th March 2018, 18:02   #5136  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

I have nothing changed on my system. I remember me to set a "system-path" for the mtxcfg. I override the old files from the new versions zip file.
From version 19 on, my mtxcfg's don't start the MTX.

I will check my system, thanks for your reply.

EDIT: All OK now, it was a path issue.

Last edited by hubblec4; 15th March 2018 at 18:12.
Old 17th March 2018, 03:36   #5137  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Hi Mosu

After nevcairiel's answer in this thread I have one question.
Can MTX cut HEVC material on IDR frames only or also on CRA/BLA frames?
Old 17th March 2018, 09:40   #5138  |  Link
mkver

mkvmerge cuts at what it considers to be keyframes (e.g. if you manipulate the keyframe flag of a Matroska SimpleBlock or void the reference fields of a BlockGroup, it thinks that this is a keyframe and allows you to cut the stream at this position). If the source file of the HEVC track is "framed" (Matroska or mp4), then things like the keyframe flags will be reused; if not, mkvmerge will analyze the bitstream and a quick search found this place in the code that indicates that a BLA frame without a recovery_point SEI message won't be considered a keyframe.
Old 26th March 2018, 19:35   #5139  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Hi Mosu

I have some questions about mtxcfg file and JSON identify.

In an mtxcfg file exists more then one "type"-object. A "type"-object("type": 22 (for m2ts)) is used for a file and it is the same value like in JSON identify "container_type"
Code:
"container": {
    "properties": {
      "container_type": 22,
      "is_providing_timestamps": true
    },
    "recognized": true,
    "supported": true,
    "type": "MPEG transport stream"
  },
On the other hand, the "type"-object(MPEG transport stream) from this JSON identify sample is not used in mtxcfg, right?

In mtxcfg exists for each track also a "type"-object ("type": 0 for DTS-HD Master Audio) but in JSON identify the "type"-object is a string (video,audio etc).
Code:
{
      "codec": "DTS-HD Master Audio",
      "id": 1,
      "properties": {
        "audio_channels": 6,
        "audio_sampling_frequency": 48000,
        "language": "eng",
        "number": 4352,
        "program_number": 1,
        "stream_id": 4352
      },
      "type": "audio"
    },
Is this an issue?
How can I determine the right value for an mtxfcg track "type"-object with info from JSON identify?
Could you add this info?
I know, then are two "type"-objects present. Why exists so many same named objects with different usage?

Best regards hubble
Old 26th March 2018, 20:19   #5140  |  Link
Perenista

I tried to add a .sub subtitles to a MKV and MKVTOOLNIX said MicroDVD is not supported. I easily converted into SRT, and then was able to add. Why is this unsupported? Are all .SUB s affected?
Closed Thread