Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 11th January 2021, 21:23   #18841  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Number of frames is hardcoded to 16 frames. Can not be changed. I'm surprised that 16 is not enough. In most of cases IT is an overkill.

Btw. Why do you use qtgmc instead of inverse telecine? I'm pretty sure you live in NTSC world where movies are shot in 23.976 FPS and then stored in 29.97 FPS (DVD format)

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 11th January 2021 at 21:30.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2021, 22:01   #18842  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

South of england bud... QTGMC really is important, with my 12 core, i can use the slower preset, was never an option before. (staxrip), not sure how to change default preset for your version of QTGMC?

16 frames is high, i select 20 in handbrake and 20 in staxrip, i don't think the 4 frames difference would make any difference.

i have just downloaded the new version full archive, deleted old folder.

i'm trying again now full set.

......loving the sdegrain 2 thanks for the advice smashes my 12 core, but at least it's got something to do now LOL

Last edited by Pulp Catalyst; 11th January 2021 at 22:07.
Pulp Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2021, 22:15   #18843  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Pal movies do not require deinterlacing because they are stored as 25 FPS so i'm really confussed now...
Old 11th January 2021, 22:25   #18844  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

To compress the video i need to compress to progressive for compatibility and compression efficiency.

i'm sure you no more than me the technicle things behind all this stuff, but i can either deinterlace and throw away half the frames (keeping 25fps)

or keep all the frames together and have a video output of 50fps

i choose the latter because this avoids having to deal with the jitter effect that can happen when throwing away half the information of the frames.

i think i have this correct...

i just looked now why the output from ripbot seems wrong.

from staxrip when i check the mediainfo of the file i get this

Quote:
Duration : 29 min 20 s
Bit rate : 612 kb/s
Width : 696 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 50.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
however the one from ripbot is this

Quote:
Duration : 29 min 20 s
Bit rate : 916 kb/s
Width : 700 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 1.215
do you know why the display aspect ratio is not 4:3 ?

i've just done two more episodes that have finished

i got

Display aspect ratio : 1.212
Display aspect ratio : 1.208

something seems very wrong, all my ones that come from staxrip all have (just checked 14 from different series, are all 4:3)

when i playback the ripbot ones, the black bars are changing location, and the screen doesn't look right (the aspect seems...distorted)

Quote:
#MT
#PREFETCH_LIMIT=0

#VideoSource
LoadPlugin("C:\EncodingProgz\RipBot\Tools\AviSynth plugins\lsmash\LSMASHSource.dll")
video=LWLibavVideoSource("F:\01\1x02 - The Big Sleep.mkv",cachefile="D:\Temp\RipBot264temp\job2\1x02 - The Big Sleep.mkv.lwi")

#Deinterlace
Loadplugin("C:\EncodingProgz\RipBot\Tools\AviSynth plugins\RgTools\RgTools.dll")
Loadplugin("C:\EncodingProgz\RipBot\Tools\AviSynth plugins\nnedi3\nnedi3.dll")
Loadplugin("C:\EncodingProgz\RipBot\Tools\AviSynth plugins\masktools\masktools2.dll")
Loadplugin("C:\EncodingProgz\RipBot\Tools\AviSynth plugins\mvtools\mvtools2.dll")
LoadCplugin("C:\EncodingProgz\RipBot\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Yadif\Yadif.dll")
Import("C:\EncodingProgz\RipBot\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Scripts\QTGMC.avs")
video=AssumeTFF(video).QTGMC(Preset="Medium",FPSDivisor=1)

#Decimate

#Crop
video=Crop(video,12,0,-12,-0)

#Resize

#Tonemap

#Levels

#Colours

#Denoise
Loadplugin("C:\EncodingProgz\RipBot\Tools\AviSynth plugins\mvtools\mvtools2.dll")
super=MSuper(video,pel=2)
fv1=MAnalyse(super,isb=false,delta=1,overlap=4)
bv1=MAnalyse(super,isb=true,delta=1,overlap=4)
fv2=MAnalyse(super,isb=false,delta=2,overlap=4)
bv2=MAnalyse(super,isb=true,delta=2,overlap=4)
video=MDegrain2(video,super,bv1,fv1,bv2,fv2,thSAD=400)

#Custom

#Prefetch
video=Prefetch(video,12)

#After_Prefetch_Denoise

#After_Prefetch_Custom

#Sharpen

#Borders

#Subtitles

#AudioSource
Import("D:\Temp\RipBot264temp\job2\job2_a1.avs")

#Triming

#AVSameLength

#ColorSpace

#Return

is there anyway i can change in batch the QTGMC preset using batch...i was thinking about modifying the actual script located in the data folder of the install directory (change the medium for slower and visa versa, but not sure if this is a feasible thing to do)

Last edited by Pulp Catalyst; 11th January 2021 at 22:43.
Old 12th January 2021, 02:04   #18845  |  Link
jlpsvk

Hi Atak!!! Thanks for the update (mostly for sharpen option), but... what's now replacement for MDegrain2+KNLMeansCL[Adaptive]??? Or no oprion now????

also, when i try to use knlmeanscl, i got "error opening input file" and encode fails... (testing on GTX 760 and GTX 1050Ti, latest driver)

Last edited by jlpsvk; 12th January 2021 at 02:29.
jlpsvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2021, 05:03   #18846  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp Catalyst View Post
To compress the video i need to compress to progressive for compatibility and compression efficiency.

i'm sure you no more than me the technicle things behind all this stuff, but i can either deinterlace and throw away half the frames (keeping 25fps)

or keep all the frames together and have a video output of 50fps

i choose the latter because this avoids having to deal with the jitter effect that can happen when throwing away half the information of the frames.

i think i have this correct...

i just looked now why the output from ripbot seems wrong.

from staxrip when i check the mediainfo of the file i get this

however the one from ripbot is this

do you know why the display aspect ratio is not 4:3 ?

i've just done two more episodes that have finished

i got

Display aspect ratio : 1.212

something seems very wrong, all my ones that come from staxrip all have (just checked 14 from different series, are all 4:3)

when i playback the ripbot ones, the black bars are changing location, and the screen doesn't look right (the aspect seems...distorted)

is there anyway i can change in batch the QTGMC preset using batch...i was thinking about modifying the actual script located in the data folder of the install directory (change the medium for slower and visa versa, but not sure if this is a feasible thing to do)
Pal movies are not 50 FPS !!! If you do not see combing/interlacing artefacts do not use qtgmc!!! You are now destroying resolution of the original frame and add extra duplicated frames. (No! You are not getting smother motion!)
Old 12th January 2021, 06:34   #18847  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

i'm not doing pal movies, i'm doing 70's, 80's 90's dvd tv shows, like "one foot in the grave" that was originally made for TV.

and they are definitely PAL interlaced for sure, impossible not to see the combing effect that comes with all PAL material over here in uk. perhaps we're speaking about two different things?
Old 12th January 2021, 09:02   #18848  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Vintage PAL TV shows (recorded with TV cameras) certainly have 576i50. And QTGMC should be quite useful to deinterlace them in good quality, as I remember from German TV shows.

But the arbitrary resolutions of 696 or 700 pixels are a bit confusing. Looks like you used some auto cropping. One may have to take a look at the video to decide how it has been fit into the 720 pixels which are common in DVD Video productions. I guess they may have a kind of "underscan", dirty or masked left/right borders; a clean ITU-R compliant digitalization should have 702 active pixels per line, and a width of 704 pixels is often recognized by players (PC software or consumer firmware) in a special way.

Nevertheless, it will be deskewed, the MPEG-2 video stream in a DVD uses "Generic Aspect Ratio" flags, means that the 4:3 flag has a meaning of: "No matter which width is encoded, the player shall stretch it until it has this aspect ratio on screen". DVD Video always uses squeezed video streams, square pixels are not used (MPEG-2 supports it, spec compliant DVD Video does not).

The dilemma is to know whether all the 720 pixels of a DVD production or only the central 704 shall be stretched so that a PAL video with 576 lines height will be displayed with a width of 576*4:3 = 768 line heights. That's why DVD converters used to have a switch to prefer either ITU-R or Generic Aspect Ratio in their calculation if they deskew the material during their conversion to square AR pixels. And if you don't deskew, you need to flag the correct Sample Aspect Ratio for MPEG-4 video streams, they don't use Generic AR like MPEG-2.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2021, 15:27   #18849  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp Catalyst View Post
i'm not doing pal movies, i'm doing 70's, 80's 90's dvd tv shows, like "one foot in the grave" that was originally made for TV.

and they are definitely PAL interlaced for sure, impossible not to see the combing effect that comes with all PAL material over here in uk. perhaps we're speaking about two different things?
In that case you have two options if you want to have correct aspect ratio
A) Deinterlace, Do not crop and leave original 720x576 resolution
B) Deinterlace, Crop and then resize to square pixels (for example 640x480)

Personally I would choose variant B and then add some gentle sharpening (25% or 50%)

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 12th January 2021 at 15:34.
Old 12th January 2021, 16:16   #18850  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

ok, thank you for the advice, and the two options moving forward.

sorry to press, is there an easy way to activate slow preset on qtgmc instead of the default medium you chose?

thanks for the feedback and advice....

i'm still curious though...staxrip also does autocrop and all output files have the aspect 4:3 set...ive done over 14 so far, all ramdom all pal, staxrip and handbrake (i done 3 in handbrake) all have 4:3

ripbot though has strange values attached like i put above....possible bug/flaw?
Old 12th January 2021, 18:33   #18851  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Aspect ratio is correctly signaled in video stream only for untouched resolutions (720x576 PAL or 720x480 NTSC). If you crop then it is 1:1. I chose qtgmc medium because in my tests with 1080i (camera footage) anything above medium had some small artefacts here and there. Besides I didn't see major difference in quality.
Old 12th January 2021, 19:01   #18852  |  Link
jlpsvk

Hi Atak!!! Thanks for the update (mostly for sharpen option), but... what's now replacement for MDegrain2+KNLMeansCL[Adaptive]??? Or no oprion now????

also, when i try to use knlmeanscl, i got "error opening input file" and encode fails... (testing on GTX 760 and GTX 1050Ti, latest driver)
Old 14th January 2021, 01:28   #18853  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

Hey,

i'm really sorry to go on about this, but i'm still not understanding.

i turned off autocrop and i turned of resize.

and i get this on the output

Quote:
Duration : 29 min 14 s
Bit rate : 609 kb/s
Width : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 5:4
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.029
Stream size : 127 MiB (86%)
Writing library : x265 3.4+22-ga988fbbac:[Windows][GCC 10.2.0][64 bit] 10bit
the aspect ratio is now coming out at 5:4, why? if i turned off all cropping and resizing, why is the aspect ratio signal changing?

i'm don't understand the technical things on this stuff... but none of this feels right if you get my meaning as i don't see this kind of behaviour in other similar kind of programs.

EDIT

so i done some more searching, and it could be a container issue, so i loaded the mkv in toolnix

i see a possible clue?

for the output from ripbot

i see in the video properties of mkvtoolnix

Display width/height 720 x 576 (all are the same from ripbot)

however the same file but from staxrip has a higher first number

Display width/height 759 x 576

another episode from a different series

Display width/height 768 x 576

could this be the reason for the ratio calculation going wrong?

Last edited by Pulp Catalyst; 15th January 2021 at 00:43.
Old 14th January 2021, 14:30   #18854  |  Link
mrlenny

Ripbot no like single quotes

Hi Atak! I've noticed when a filename contains a single quote like person's name, ripbot doesn't parse the audio file into the temp folder (resulting in NO AUDIO in the audio drop down). It looks like the json file that's being build with the list of extracted files to copy into the temp folder is escaped out by that single quote. If I rename the file removing the single quote, all works as expected.
mrlenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2021, 21:01   #18855  |  Link
dv8r
cdial

Win 10 DE

Anyone have any tips to get DE working on a single machine with Win10. I had it working a couple months ago and now no bueno. I've turned every setting I can find OFF in Windows Defender. AV and Firewall off. Still won't open the Encoding Server no matter what I do. Everything works fine in regular mode. Thanks
dv8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2021, 04:47   #18856  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Run win10 in safe mode
Old 15th January 2021, 13:43   #18857  |  Link
Ryushin

Small Bug with Custom Scripts

There is a small bug with custom scripts. I've previous selected a custom script, ran the job, after it completed I went back into the job and selected "OFF" for the custom script but it did not remove the code from the Video Script. I had to edit the Video Script manually to remove it.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2021, 18:01   #18858  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
There is a small bug with custom scripts. I've previous selected a custom script, ran the job, after it completed I went back into the job and selected "OFF" for the custom script but it did not remove the code from the Video Script. I had to edit the Video Script manually to remove it.
Show me your custom script

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 15th January 2021 at 18:03.
Old 16th January 2021, 01:26   #18859  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
When I read your post, I knew that someone else had a very similar issue a couple of months back...

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...93#post1927793 (post #18735, also #18725))

See if that helps (it did for me).
Old 16th January 2021, 10:05   #18860  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Strange Chunk behavior

Atak,

For the first time in quite a while I wanted to use RipBot, and I updated everything (had some issues there, as well)...

So I set up one job (as a test), a TV series recorded episode, edited all the ad's, etc out with VideoRedo, saved as an .mkv.

Had RB setup to do DE, pressed start, and watched, as soon as it processed & displayed the "chunk's" I knew there was something wrong (see attached).

https://www.mediafire.com/file/t972h...oblem.jpg/file

Needless to say, it didn't do anything more than just re start try to encode whatever that chunk was.

So, I eventually switched back to "single" mode, and had no problems.

Hopefully you have some clue to why it might have done this ???

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360