Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 9th July 2017, 16:52   #26221  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Which is why the default is to be compliant. The user has to force non-compliance via the fully explained hidden option.

I did write in the same posting that it is not my program.

I do not output to MKV/MP4. The Pseudo directory is always empty. I burn the BDMV/CERTIFICATE directories, which I burn right after the menus are created and before never running the Backup (I do not click on the Backup button).

TsMuxer likes the EAC3 audio stream just fine. It declares it to be no core, 0 kbps and 0 channels. But, mediainfo still shows the resultant M2TS file to have 6 channels of EAC3 audio.
I wouldn't worry too much as your "doit" script will solve it all for you, right?
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 22:10   #26222  |  Link
Sharc

@jdobbs
I noticed that a 24.00fps 1920x1080p source gets per default converted to 23.976 fps during file import, and the audio is slowed down accordingly. Couldn't it be left untouched at 24fps because it is Blu-Ray compliant? Not that the slight slowdown really matters, it just requires a re-encoding (video + audio) and prevents to burn the compliant IMPORT folder without re-encoding.
For Quick Play reauthoring the disc, the 24.00 fps is however kept intact.

This brings up a second question: How would an imported 25fps 1920x1080i source be processed? Would it also be framerate converted during import or left untouched as 25i, assuming I don't deinterlace it?
(When I find a 1920x1080i25 source I'll try out myself to see what happens).
Old 9th July 2017, 22:18   #26223  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
@jdobbs
I noticed that a 24.00fps 1920x1080p source gets per default converted to 23.976 fps during file import, and the audio is slowed down accordingly. Couldn't it be left untouched at 24fps because it is Blu-Ray compliant? Not that the slight slowdown really matters, it just requires a re-encoding (video + audio) and prevents to burn the compliant IMPORT folder without re-encoding.
For Quick Play reauthoring the disc, the 24.00 fps is however kept intact.

This brings up a second question: How would an imported 25fps 1920x1080i source be processed? Would it also be framerate converted during import or left untouched as 25i, assuming I don't deinterlace it?
I'll look at that. I'd gotten a previous report that it was converted -- but I can't, for the life of me, remember doing that (or why I would do it). Getting old, I guess. I'll look at it and make sure it doesn't convert 24fps to 23.976fps for the next release.

25fps should import without conversion. I do, though, have a hidden option (IMPORT_PAL_TO_FILM) that will convert it to 23.976 for non-PAL countries and for sources that were originally film -- but I know that one also adjust the audio.

Last edited by jdobbs; 9th July 2017 at 22:20.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 22:26   #26224  |  Link
Sharc

Thank you. No rush! When (almost) all problems are solved people become a bit nit-picking, right?

Last edited by Sharc; 9th July 2017 at 22:32.
Old 9th July 2017, 23:34   #26225  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
I wouldn't worry too much as your "doit" script will solve it all for you, right?
It is a script for only doing video recoding. No audio work is done with it.

I have other scripts for doing audio work.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 23:53   #26226  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I do, though, have a hidden option (IMPORT_PAL_TO_FILM) that will convert it to 23.976 for non-PAL countries and for sources that were originally film -- but I know that one also adjust the audio.
As we all know, PAL doesn't exist anymore (it is an analog format). That said, whenever I look for a new monitor, I have to double-check the specs to make sure it supports ALL of the frame rates and resolutions (not including 4K). For some dumb reason, some manufactures that import some models into the U.S. tend to not include the 25/50 frame rate sizes. Something they do not do with overseas models. Dumber still because the Blu-ray players do not have that limitation. At least my Samsung players do not.

A long tradition with display manufactures that just won't go away.
Old 9th July 2017, 23:56   #26227  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
I can provide a sample from a Doctor Who Blu-ray release. I get all of the U.K. Doctor Who releases, as I prefer the original frame rate.

What I've never understood is why the Blu-ray group never included 25p as a frame rate. It is only 1fps away from 24p, which is supported. It was very illogical.

Last edited by MrVideo; 9th July 2017 at 23:58.
Old 10th July 2017, 00:53   #26228  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
You can download scanned/custom covers, and disc artwork, for free, or very cheap. If you would like to know where, PM me.
Thanks kindly mate! Yeah, I've done hundreds of searches when I'm looking to put together some covers or disc art, and I've found a number of excellent sites where people come up with some good stuff. Some times I use theirs untouched, especially the disc art, but many times, especially for multiple box series like STAR TREK: TNG or the James Bond series, I kind of want the box art to look consistently a certain way and then create a template.
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 00:59   #26229  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Sure... that's fine when you're not the one who has to respond to 500 "BD-RB's output doesn't work" and "it creates non-compliant output" on forums all over the world. How about I write my software, and you write yours.

It doesn't, however, have to be compliant in the pseudo-bd folder. So I'll see what I can do to keep it intact when the output is to MKV or MP4 and save the reencoding step until a BD is being reencoded. That assumes that TSMUXER doesn't reject it, though (which it may very well do, I'll have to test it).
That's really nice of you to think about doing that considering the oddity of the occurrence... when I try to play MKV files with Eac3 files in them, my OPPO shows Dolby+ on the screen, but I don't hear anything. But, as Dr. V pointed out, that is I guess because the 'core' has been removed, similar to how MKVMerge handles TrueHD which has been muxed into MKV files.
Old 10th July 2017, 02:00   #26230  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Some times I use theirs untouched, especially the disc art, but many times, especially for multiple box series like STAR TREK: TNG or the James Bond series, I kind of want the box art to look consistently a certain way and then create a template.
In the case of ST:TNG, the artwork that has been released is for all seven seasons. For pretty much any TV series, either scanned artwork, or custom artwork, can be found. For further discussion, let's move this to a PM conversation.
Old 10th July 2017, 02:03   #26231  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
when I try to play MKV files with Eac3 files in them, my OPPO shows Dolby+ on the screen, but I don't hear anything. But, as Dr. V pointed out, that is I guess because the 'core' has been removed.
As I've posted above, that is only part of the issue. The other is that using a S/PDIF/coax connection to the amp requires a core, as that connection only supports the core bitrates. No core, no audio.
Old 10th July 2017, 03:30   #26232  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
But yeah, if you are doing television episodes the size that it takes on the disc would kind of add up.
As a test, I converted an EAC3 file to LPCM. The audio file was 10x larger, taking the 4GB file to 6GB. That basically means that I would only be able to fit two files in the space of three, if the audio were AC3/EAC3.

For me, that is unrealistic. For a 24 episode season, that means at least four episodes a disc. But, at 6GB an episode, that takes up more space than the disc contains.

Hence the reason for trying to keep the EAC3 file, if at all possible.
Old 10th July 2017, 05:55   #26233  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
In the case of ST:TNG, the artwork that has been released is for all seven seasons. For pretty much any TV series, either scanned artwork, or custom artwork, can be found. For further discussion, let's move this to a PM conversation.
No, that's okay; as I mentioned, I've already made (at least) several hundred cases / discs over the last several years, so I pretty much can find plenty of whatever I need, but thanks though...
Old 10th July 2017, 12:32   #26234  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
I can provide a sample from a Doctor Who Blu-ray release. I get all of the U.K. Doctor Who releases, as I prefer the original frame rate.
Thanks, but I could run a test with a sample from my home videocam which has a setting for 1920x1080i25. BD-RB imports this correctly as 25i. So the conversion issue seems to exist only for 24.00fps import footage.
Old 10th July 2017, 12:43   #26235  |  Link
Mark_Venture

Will BD-Rebuilder encode fail if a file can't be read from the source bluray?

Example: Ripping Minions 3D, the ripper fails on a .SSIF file when ripping the disc to folder on HD, or ISO file. However, if I fire up BD-REbuilder, set Alt-MovieOnly-MKV and point it to the Bluray drive as the source, it completes processing fine.

Should I expect the output MKV to be ok?
Mark_Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 13:02   #26236  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post

Example: Ripping Minions 3D, the ripper fails on a .SSIF file when ripping the disc to folder on HD, or ISO file. However, if I fire up BD-REbuilder, set Alt-MovieOnly-MKV and point it to the Bluray drive as the source, it completes processing fine.

I assume you are encoding to 3D SBS format, right?
Even though BD-RB completes without error it could still be that the encode shows some glitches if something failed during the source decoding process. You would have to check the final result carefully.
Old 10th July 2017, 16:32   #26237  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post

If it's a multipart source, it's possible that some of the segments (for a playlist that is never referenced, for example) may have errors purposefully. But you'd think the ripper would catch that.
Old 12th July 2017, 20:59   #26238  |  Link
bryrabknowles

Out of curiosity, how does BDRebuilder choose where to split files? Is there some sort of scene change detection that keeps it from cutting in the middle of a scene and potentially (albeit very slightly) reducing compression efficiency?
bryrabknowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 23:46   #26239  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryrabknowles View Post
Out of curiosity, how does BDRebuilder choose where to split files? Is there some sort of scene change detection that keeps it from cutting in the middle of a scene and potentially (albeit very slightly) reducing compression efficiency?
I assume you mean when multiprocessing is enabled. A BD contains information as to where a reasonable percentage of the I-frames in a stream are located (it's used for chapter skipping, fast forwarding, etc.). All scenes begin on an I frame. BD-RB uses that information to choose a split point that starts on an I-frame and is nearest a location that evenly distributes the encoding between the multiple encode processes. When you are doing a backup, all scenes and chapter points, etc, are maintained from the original authoring.

Last edited by jdobbs; 12th July 2017 at 23:52.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 03:56   #26240  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
Hey...!

NIIIIIIIIIICCCEEEEE quote!!! *Slaps you on the back!!* Attaboy!! *Gives big hug!*