Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd October 2015, 19:41   #33321  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRyche View Post
Yes, I'll be around next weekend for testing. No problem.
Ok, here's a new test build. Will need a new log, thanks.

http://madshi.net/madVR895f.rar

Doubling with e.g. super-xbr works without that delay for you now? It's only NNEDI3 making trouble, correct?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 19:41   #33322  |  Link
rbej

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Good to hear!

Ok, thanks. Which trade quality for performance options do you have set?

The new windowed mode doesn't work well for you?
Trade quality - default. i dont change anything.

New windowed mode working well.
rbej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 19:52   #33323  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbej View Post
Trade quality - default. i dont change anything.

New windowed mode working well.
The new windowed mode works well in fullscreen, too? Is there a reason why you were using the old mode?
Old 3rd October 2015, 19:59   #33324  |  Link
rbej

Quote:
The new windowed mode works well in fullscreen, too? Is there a reason why you were using the old mode?
New windowed mode not working well in full screen. Playback is still poor.

No reason. I tested new and old windowed mode.
Old 3rd October 2015, 20:31   #33325  |  Link
Damien147

Subtitles are in the center when being fullscreen,anyone else?
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 20:42   #33326  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

@Damien147: You can always read few posts before and you will know what to do.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 20:49   #33327  |  Link
Damien147

Ok,thanks.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 21:26   #33328  |  Link
Stan

Quote:
Here is a new test build for those that had freezes with v0.89.5 when closing the media player, or when switching video files, or moving the media player to a different monitor:

http://madshi.net/madVR895d.rar

Does this build fix those freezes/stability issues?
Fixed for me, thank you very much!

Last edited by Stan; 3rd October 2015 at 21:28.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 21:42   #33329  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:

Doubling with e.g. super-xbr works without that delay for you now? It's only NNEDI3 making trouble, correct?
Yes only NNEDI3 image doubling is giving me issue and NNEDI3 chroma upsampling as well. Although, as I stated previously, NNEDI3 chroma upsampling shows the correct colours when used in conjunction with Super-Res.

On an unrelated note, madVR895c is positioning the internal subtitle renderers subtitle placement correctly for me now as well.

Last edited by XRyche; 3rd October 2015 at 21:47.
XRyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 21:54   #33330  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:

Here's the log: https://www.mediafire.com/?auan6vyygdwfrra .
Old 3rd October 2015, 22:30   #33331  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Fixed for me, thank you very much!
Good to hear!

Quote:
Thanks. Ok, it's official now: For some reason, creating the OpenCL command queue takes about 10 seconds on your PC. I don't know why, but that's how it is. This looks like a problem with your OpenCL installation. There's nothing I can do about it. It seems you can either try repairing your OpenCL installation somehow (I don't know how). Or alternatively you'll have to give up on NNEDI3 for now. I might offer a NNEDI3 option without OpenCL in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbej View Post
New windowed mode not working well in full screen. Playback is still poor.
Ok, can you please make a debug log with this test build?

http://madshi.net/madVR895g.rar
Old 3rd October 2015, 22:39   #33332  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
There's no difference for me. On the right side, there is new windowed path and on the left side, it's old FSE mode:

It's the same with old windowed path.
My test case was 1080p60 -> WQHD with Jinc3 + SuperRes 2 passes + Adaptive Sharpen.
Hhmmm... That's interesting. Maybe your card is so powerful, or it depends on lot's of things. Are you sure that you used D3D9 exlusive (old path)?

Here're my results (see my signature for details):
0. I'd been done testing on the 1080p TV, using nvidia with DXVA-copyback in LAV video, dithering on, all trading performance are switched off, no smooth motion, no other processing. I tried to select the lowest gpu and memory freq where the queues are still full. (max values: gpu 745MHz, ram: 2000MHz)
1. I managed to use Overlay mode (finally): but only with iGPU (intel) and only when I was tested on TV (my AV receiver is recognized otherwise as a cloned display device, that's why I got blank picture when I tried it on my laptop screen )
2. 720p (1280x720) 25fps video, chroma Jinc+AR, luma Jinc+AR:
- D3D9 FSE new path: gpu 690MHz, mem 2000MHz (gpu usage: 90-92%)
- D3D9 FSE old path: gpu 450MHz, mem 800MHz !!! (gpu usage: 97-99%, but playback is without a problem)
3. 1080p (1920x1080) 23.976fps video, chroma super-xbr+AR:
- D3D9 FSE new path: gpu 490MHz, mem 900MHz (gpu usage: 90-92%)
- D3D9 FSE old path: gpu 405MHz, mem 405MHz !!! (gpu usage: 80-82%) This result is actually insane!!! -> we use the lowest settings in P8 state (P12->P8->P5->P0)
4. The above values are valid. Both GPU-Z and nvidiainspector shows them, plus the thermal monitor app for CPU and GPU is also right on both cases.
5. I noticed 1 more thing in my system: the new path is way more ram consuming then the old one. In both tests I had to raise the ram clock not just the gpu clock.
6. All the rest of the modes (FS Windowed new/old path, FS Overlay, FS D3D11) were about the same speed like FSE new path was (only D3D9 old path is different completely).
7. The results were similar when I tried it out on the intel iGPU (with different scaling algos, since it's not so powerful than the nvidia), D3D9 FSE old path was way faster than the rest.
8. conclusion: if you do care about performance AND you don't/can't use NNEDI3 AND you don't use 10bit output, then give the D3D9 old path a chance! You can test how it behaves within 5 minutes.

Madshi, what could cause such a big performance difference?

Quote:
It's a technical limitation and there's not much I can do about it, without totally rewriting the "old exclusive mode".
You don't need t worry about it, since it's the fastest mode for me, thanks!

Quote:
It's possible, but difficult, due to 2 reasons:
1) You'd need to find an image, ideally some high quality RGB photo, where different chroma upscaling algorithms would show clear differences. In order to find such an image, you need to know what to look for. E.g. dark content with lots of black and red usually is a good idea. You should use an RGB photo which has full resolution chroma, maybe even scale it down a bit in RGB, so that the chroma channels really have full resolution and quality.
2) You need to convert the image to YCbCr 4:2:0, and you can't do that by simple downscaling chroma. You need to use the correct chroma offset, too! The chroma channel is not in center position compared to luma channel. It's slightly offset for all newer video codecs (MPEG2, h264, VC-1, h265 etc). Maybe LAV Video Decoder applies the proper offset when forcing it to output NV12? I'm not sure. @nevcairiel?
Sorry, but this was like Chinese language to me
I made a chroma comparison test with the video "mp4.v2c\Misc Patterns\A - Additional\3-Color Steps.mp4" from AVS.HD.709.v2d.Calibration of AVSforum, in windowed fullscreen mode, the zipped pngs are here: http://www10.zippyshare.com/v/bDzpW31T/file.html
(NN: nearest neighbour, SX: super-xbr+AR, Jinc: Jinc+AR, SR: superres strenght1, SR2: superres strenght2)
What I can see on the images that Superres adds unwanted bright edges that can be visible at the red rectangles on the right side of the pictures.
Apart from this, I can't tell the difference between the tested 3 algos (NN, Jinc+AR, SX+AR), maybe the test video wasn't aproppriate for this.

Last edited by chros; 3rd October 2015 at 22:53.
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 23:21   #33333  |  Link
rbej

Quote:

Ok, can you please make a debug log with this test build?

http://madshi.net/madVR895g.rar
Full screen and windowed.

http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/w9ImBFgK/file.html
Old 3rd October 2015, 23:22   #33334  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
What I can see on the images that Superres adds unwanted bright edges that can be visible at the red rectangles on the right side of the pictures.
Apart from this, I can't tell the difference between the tested 3 algos (NN, Jinc+AR, SX+AR), maybe the test video wasn't aproppriate for this.
In this situation I recommend you use Catmul-Rom or madVR's default of Bicubic 75, they are very close anyway.

These are quite fast/cheap but offer much improved quality compared to NN in past tests. Since you cannot see the difference even when using NN the more expensive algorithms are a waste of power but bicubic is low enough power the small improvements in scenes you haven't tested might be worth it.

Note: that 3-Color-Steps is probably one of the worst images to test chroma scaling options with. You want fine color details.

Last edited by Asmodian; 3rd October 2015 at 23:25.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 23:23   #33335  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:

Thanks. Ok, it's official now: For some reason, creating the OpenCL command queue takes about 10 seconds on your PC. I don't know why, but that's how it is. This looks like a problem with your OpenCL installation. There's nothing I can do about it. It seems you can either try repairing your OpenCL installation somehow (I don't know how). Or alternatively you'll have to give up on NNEDI3 for now. I might offer a NNEDI3 option without OpenCL in the future.

Well that's disappointing to hear. When I upgraded to Windows 10 it must have messed up my OpenCL because it worked perfectly fine on Windows 8.1. Thanks for trying to fix my issue so diligently madshi.

I have an idea, might not be a good idea but it's an idea nonetheless.

Is anyone with NNEDI3 working on Windows 10 willing to give me a copy of their OpenCL.dll from their SysWOW64 folder?
Old 3rd October 2015, 23:26   #33336  |  Link
aufkrawall

Has Display Driver Uninstaller been suggested before?
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/...4a0da209cb9bc2
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 23:34   #33337  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Has Display Driver Uninstaller been suggested before?
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/...4a0da209cb9bc2
I use that exact app every time I change display drivers. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 3rd October 2015, 23:46   #33338  |  Link
XRyche

Unfortunately, the OpenCL.dll from someone's working NNEDI3 on Windows 10 didn't change anything. Anyone have any suggestions, besides rolling back to Windows 8.1?
Old 3rd October 2015, 23:54   #33339  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Unfortunately, the OpenCL.dll from someone's working NNEDI3 on Windows 10 didn't change anything. Anyone have any suggestions, besides rolling back to Windows 8.1?
Clean install, not upgrade.
Old 4th October 2015, 00:46   #33340  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Clean install, not upgrade.
Well that's a pain. Oh well, I'd rather have NNEDI3 working properly so I guess I'll do just that. Thanks for the suggestion nevcairiel.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling