Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 28th October 2018, 18:47   #661  |  Link
bruno321

OK, avisynth updated. Here's the log from AVSMeter:

https://pastebin.com/2hqZYevT

EDIT: OK, I should add that now QTGMC -is- working, but in the same faulty way as described here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...after-srestore

EDIT2: Got it!! It was the bloody mt-masktools-26 which was preventing the newer masktools2.dll from loading.

Thanks for the help & thanks for AVSMeter! It really helped.

Last edited by bruno321; 28th October 2018 at 19:27.
bruno321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 19:55   #662  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno321 View Post
OK, avisynth updated. Here's the log from AVSMeter:

https://pastebin.com/2hqZYevT

EDIT: OK, I should add that now QTGMC -is- working, but in the same faulty way as described here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...after-srestore
The AVSMeter log shows you have two versions of MaskTools2 (mt_masktools-26.dll) and an old version of SMDegrain.

You probably should remove any Avisynth 2.5 plugins beginning with "R" (you have multiple version of each anyway) and replace them with RGTools. There's an up to date requirements list here.

Did you use the XP specific versions of MaskTools2 and MVTools2?

You probably don't need SSE2Tools.dll anymore (and you have multiple versions).

The log file clearly shows you're missing dependencies for some of the plugins. As you update them, check the required dependencies, They'll either be listed on the plugin's wiki or specified in the readme file included in the download, or something similar.

msvcr71.dll and FFTW3.dll belong in the system32 folder. You should also have libfftw3f-3.dll in there (same file as FFTW3.dll, but some plugins expect different names).

I also spotted a couple of outdated plugins. There's newer versions of Average and nneid3.

I tried your sample from the VideoHelp thread and it's fine for me simply using the following. I'm running XP (QTGMC 3.358s).

QTGMC()
SRestore()

Last edited by hello_hello; 28th October 2018 at 20:03.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 20:10   #663  |  Link
bruno321

Thanks for the tips -- as you were writing your reply, I updated my post above to show that I solved it. Nonetheless, what you write is useful. I have updated SMDegrain and replaced the R plugins with RGTools, will look at Average and nnedi3.

So I'm guessing that the plugins marked in yellow are those whose dependencies are not fully met? If everything is working OK for me now, would I gain something by meeting them?
Old 28th October 2018, 21:52   #664  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
So I'm guessing that the plugins marked in yellow are those whose dependencies are not fully met?
No, the yellow just indicates that there's version info available whereas green means that there is none (therefore just the time stamp). Too many colours...
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2018, 22:42   #665  |  Link
bruno321

I'm still having problems with QTGMC, somehow. Here's a .zip file with three clips:

https://1fichier.com/?vhhxlra8xroazg3dc889

The .m2v is the original. The one called tdeint has the avisynth script given by

tdeint(mode=1)
srestore(frate=25)

The one called QTGMC has QTGMC() instead of the tdeint line. You can see that the tdeint one flows nicely, whereas the qtgmc one is stuttery. What's going on?
Old 8th November 2018, 23:14   #666  |  Link
Shirtfull

Quote:
What's going on?

Qtgmc only de-interlaces (does not remove telecine). Use Ivtc beforehand.
Shirtfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2018, 05:46   #667  |  Link
manono

Yes, you should just IVTC it. But since it's not normal 3:2 pulldown, it's not a normal IVTC. This works on it:

TFM().Tdecimate(Cycle=6,CycleR=1)

You don't want to use TDeint on it as that's a deinterlacer and it damages the source. The TFM/TDecimate combination only field matches and removed duplicate frames. No damage to the underlying video.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2018, 09:18   #668  |  Link
bruno321

That does indeed work nicely. Thanks!

But I'm confused: this is an excerpt from a film shot in PAL land and released in NTSC format (hence the 29.97fps). I've usually dealt with these in the past with QTGMC().srestore() and it's worked great, but not here. Why?
Old 9th November 2018, 09:30   #669  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

There is not only one possible kind of norm conversion. There are a lot. Some use blending, some don't. StainlessS translated the guide "exotic interlacing" (originally in German, by scharfis_brain), you may want to skim through this one if you are interested, but beware, it confuses even more.

All deinterlacers (including Yadif, TDeint, and QTGMC of course) can only handle a regular linear temporal progression from field to field. Telecine duplicates fields, it has a discrete progress. Field blending creates weighted sums of field contents. Both confuse the motion estimation which makes QTGMC superior.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid

Last edited by LigH; 9th November 2018 at 09:33.
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2018, 10:01   #670  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Here tis ([Exotic] Interlacing_by_Scharfis_Brain):- http://www.mediafire.com/file/kkw0j7...Brain.zip/file

EDIT: Or via the MediaFire link below this post, in the DATA folder.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 9th November 2018 at 10:11.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2018, 10:19   #671  |  Link
bruno321

Thanks! I've had a look. At this moment, I feel like I'd like to understand better the difference between blending and interlacing. Can anybody provide an explanation? And maybe some examples in images?

Quote:
All deinterlacers (including Yadif, TDeint, and QTGMC of course) can only handle a regular linear temporal progression from field to field. Telecine duplicates fields, it has a discrete progress. Field blending creates weighted sums of field contents. Both confuse the motion estimation which makes QTGMC superior.
I'd love to understand this, but I currently don't :P

So, in order to figure this out by myself, I'd do this: tfm(), and then realize that the frames are playing in a 1 2 3 4 5 6 6 pattern, which means no frames are blended and I should just TDecimate(0,1,6), right?

Last edited by bruno321; 9th November 2018 at 10:27.
Old 9th November 2018, 11:18   #672  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

To understand the basics of interlacing, first read the mentioned guide; scharfis_brain introduced some history of TV broadcasting for Cathode Ray Tube technology. You need to understand how fields progress in time, and that a pair of them is woven to a frame only for storage purposes. Then you may get the idea that this is a "legacy technology", looking back from today's digital video era where monitors are able to achieve much higher frame rates and can update the whole screen at once (progressive display).

This historical intermission about the nature of interlacing interrupts this thread about QTGMC like the Groundhog Day, or like Freddie Frinton stumbling upon the tiger head in "Dinner for one" every Silvester evening.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2018, 19:48   #673  |  Link
manono

Quote:
At this moment, I feel like I'd like to understand better the difference between blending and interlacing
Both kinds are interlaced. However, for PAL sources field-blended to NTSC, typically 5 of 6 unfiltered frames are interlaced. With the telecined ones (like your current project), 2 of 6 are interlaced. When separating the fields or bobbing, if you see the blends/ghosts/double images, it's field blended. If you don't, it's not. Yours is not.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote