Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 23rd December 2018, 16:01   #1  |  Link
Reino

"error: 'mutex' in namespace 'std' does not name a type" despite up-to-date toolchain

I'm using 'mingw-w64-build-r25' from https://files.1f0.de/mingw/scripts/ (does anyone know who actually maintains these updated scripts? Hendrik / nevairiel?) to create my own toolchain with GCC 8.2, MinGW-w64 6.0.0 and pthreads 2.9.1.

Today I tried to compile libdmusic, but I got the following error:
Code:
[ 11%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/dmusic.dir/src/DlsPlayer.cpp.obj
In file included from /[...]/libdmusic_git/include/dmusic/DlsPlayer.h:8,
                 from /[...]/libdmusic_git/src/DlsPlayer.cpp:1:
/[...]/libdmusic_git/include/dmusic/PlayingContext.h:74:14: error: 'mutex' in namespace 'std' does not name a type
         std::mutex m_queueMutex;
              ^~~~~
I've done some searching and read that std::mutex and std::thread are added in C++11, which requires a recent GCC version and most likely the -std=gnu++11 compiler flag as well.
I'm using the latest GCC, but export CXXFLAGS="-std=gnu++11" didn't make any difference. I still get the error.
Now I wonder, is this guy right, despite having the latest GCC? Or is there a flaw in the MinGW-w64 build script that I'm getting this error?
Old 23rd December 2018, 21:21   #2  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

std::mutex is indeed a C++11 feature. But I think "-std=gnu++14" is GCC's default for C++ code by now:
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/C...ialect-Options

Anyhow, whether setting CXXFLAGS or CFLAGS has any effect, that totally depends on the build system (e.g. Makefile) that is used to build the application!
For example, you may need to specify those when running the ./configure script, so that they will actually be applied to the generated Makefile.

Also, make sure that your MinGW was built with "posix" threading (libwinpthread). If built with "win32" threading, C++11 threading features are not available!

More info on that topic here:
* https://stackoverflow.com/a/30390278
* https://wiki.qt.io/MinGW-64-bit#GCC_...ix_vs_win32.29

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 23rd December 2018 at 21:47.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2018, 12:06   #3  |  Link
Reino

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
whether setting CXXFLAGS or CFLAGS has any effect, that totally depends on the build system (e.g. Makefile) that is used to build the application!
libdmusic is built with cmake. In 'CMakeCache.txt' at least I can see:
Code:
//Flags used by the CXX compiler during all build types.
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING=-std=gnu++14
Quote:
Also, make sure that your MinGW was built with "posix" threading (libwinpthread). If built with "win32" threading, C++11 threading features are not available!
Code:
$ ./mingw-w64-build-r25 --help
[...]
Compile Options:
[...]
  --threads=LIB               compile with support for thread LIB (winpthreads,
                              pthreads-w32, disable) [pthreads-w32]
As this script defaults to pthreads-w32, I've (successfully) rebuilt my toolchain with winpthreads this time. (libwinpthread == winpthreads, right?)
Despite all the effort however I'm still getting the mutex error. I really don't understand why.
Old 25th December 2018, 13:02   #4  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Try "g++ -v" and check the output. Should be something like this:
Quote:
$ g++ -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=C:\msys64\mingw32\bin\g++.exe
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=C:/msys64/mingw32/bin/../lib/gcc/i686-w64-mingw32/7.3.0/lto-wrapper.exe
Target: i686-w64-mingw32
Configured with: ../gcc-7.3.0/configure --prefix=/mingw32 --with-local-prefix=/mingw32/local --build=i686-w64-mingw32 --host=i686-w64-mingw32 --target=i686-w64-mingw32 --with-native-system-header-dir=/mingw32/i686-w64-mingw32/include --libexecdir=/mingw32/lib --enable-bootstrap --with-arch=i686 --with-tune=generic --enable-languages=c,lto,c++,objc,obj-c++,fortran,ada --enable-shared --enable-static --enable-libatomic --enable-threads=posix --enable-graphite --enable-fully-dynamic-string --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes --enable-libstdcxx-filesystem-ts=yes --disable-libstdcxx-pch --disable-libstdcxx-debug --disable-isl-version-check --enable-lto --enable-libgomp --disable-multilib --enable-checking=release --disable-rpath --disable-win32-registry --disable-nls --disable-werror --disable-symvers --with-libiconv --with-system-zlib --with-gmp=/mingw32 --with-mpfr=/mingw32 --with-mpc=/mingw32 --with-isl=/mingw32 --with-pkgversion='Rev2, Built by MSYS2 project' --with-bugurl=https://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2 --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --disable-sjlj-exceptions --with-dwarf2
Thread model: posix
gcc version 7.3.0 (Rev2, Built by MSYS2 project)
The following example program compiles without problem here, using the above MinGW/GCC:
https://pastebin.com/aQ25Gcp0

(BTW: Why not simply grab MinGW/GCC via MSYS2? This is what I'm using now exclusively)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 25th December 2018 at 14:01.
Old 26th December 2018, 15:39   #5  |  Link
Reino

Quote:
Try "g++ -v" and check the output.
Code:
$ ./i686-w64-mingw32-g++.exe -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=./i686-w64-mingw32-g++
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/[...]/cross_compilers/mingw-w64-i686/libexec/gcc/i686-w64-mingw32/8.2.0/lto-wrapper.exe
Target: i686-w64-mingw32
Configured with: ../source/gcc-8.2.0/configure --build=i686-pc-cygwin --target=i686-w64-mingw32 --disable-shared --enable-static --disable-nls --disable-multilib --prefix=/[...]/cross_compilers/mingw-w64-i686 --with-sysroot=/[...]/cross_compilers/mingw-w64-i686 --with-mpc=/[...]/cross_compilers/pkgs/mpc/mpc-1.1.0-i686 --with-mpfr=/[...]/cross_compilers/pkgs/mpfr/mpfr-4.0.1-i686 --with-gmp=/[...]/cross_compilers/pkgs/gmp/gmp-6.1.2-i686 --with-isl=/[...]/cross_compilers/pkgs/isl/isl-0.20-i686 --enable-languages=c,c++ --enable-fully-dynamic-string --enable-lto
Thread model: win32
gcc version 8.2.0 (GCC)
I've tried to rerun the script with --enable-threads=posix ...
Code:
diff --git a/patches/mingw-w64-build-r25 b/patches/mingw-w64-build-r25
index d43cbd5..007ce53 100755
--- a/patches/mingw-w64-build-r25
+++ b/patches/mingw-w64-build-r25
@@ -317,7 +317,7 @@ fi

case "$gcc_ver" in
   $gcc_old_release_ver ) CC=$gcc "../source/gcc-$gcc_ver/configure" --build="$system_type" --target="$mingw_w64_target" "${static_build[@]}" "${disable_nls[@]}" --disable-multilib --prefix="$mingw_w64_prefix" --with-sysroot="$mingw_w64_prefix" --with-mpc="$mpc_prefix" --with-mpfr="$mpfr_prefix" --with-gmp="$gmp_prefix" --with-host-libstdcxx="-lstdc++" --with-cloog="$cloog_prefix" --with-isl="$isl_prefix" --enable-languages="$enabled_langs" --enable-fully-dynamic-string --enable-lto  > >(build_log) 2>&1 ;;
-  $gcc_release_ver ) CC=$gcc "../source/gcc-$gcc_ver/configure" --build="$system_type" --target="$mingw_w64_target" $gcc_host "${static_build[@]}" "${disable_nls[@]}" --disable-multilib --prefix="$mingw_w64_prefix" --with-sysroot="$mingw_w64_prefix" --with-mpc="$mpc_prefix" --with-mpfr="$mpfr_prefix" --with-gmp="$gmp_prefix" --with-isl="$isl_prefix" --enable-languages="$enabled_langs" --enable-fully-dynamic-string --enable-lto  > >(build_log) 2>&1 || print_error ;;
+  $gcc_release_ver ) CC=$gcc "../source/gcc-$gcc_ver/configure" --build="$system_type" --target="$mingw_w64_target" $gcc_host "${static_build[@]}" "${disable_nls[@]}" --disable-multilib --prefix="$mingw_w64_prefix" --with-sysroot="$mingw_w64_prefix" --with-mpc="$mpc_prefix" --with-mpfr="$mpfr_prefix" --with-gmp="$gmp_prefix" --with-isl="$isl_prefix" --enable-languages="$enabled_langs" --enable-fully-dynamic-string --enable-lto --enable-threads=posix  > >(build_log) 2>&1 || print_error ;;
 esac
 }
... but that didn't work out:
Code:
/[...]/cross_compilers/pkgs/gcc/build/./gcc/xgcc -B/[...]/cross_compilers/pkgs/gcc/build/./gcc/ -L/[...]/cross_compilers/mingw-w64-i686/i686-w64-mingw32/lib -L/[...]/cross_compilers/mingw-w64-i686/mingw/lib -isystem /[...]/cross_compilers/mingw-w64-i686/i686-w64-mingw32/include -isystem /[...]/cross_compilers/mingw-w64-i686/mingw/include -B/[...]/cross_compilers/mingw-w64-i686/i686-w64-mingw32/bin/ -B/[...]/cross_compilers/mingw-w64-i686/i686-w64-mingw32/lib/ -isystem /[...]/cross_compilers/mingw-w64-i686/i686-w64-mingw32/include -isystem /[...]/cross_compilers/mingw-w64-i686/i686-w64-mingw32/sys-include    -g -O2 -O2 -I../../../source/gcc-8.2.0/libgcc/../winsup/w32api/include -g -O2 -DIN_GCC  -DCROSS_DIRECTORY_STRUCTURE  -W -Wall -Wno-narrowing -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-qual -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wold-style-definition  -isystem ./include   -g -DIN_LIBGCC2 -fbuilding-libgcc -fno-stack-protector   -I. -I. -I../.././gcc -I../../../source/gcc-8.2.0/libgcc -I../../../source/gcc-8.2.0/libgcc/. -I../../../source/gcc-8.2.0/libgcc/../gcc -I../../../source/gcc-8.2.0/libgcc/../include -I../../../source/gcc-8.2.0/libgcc/config/libbid -DENABLE_DECIMAL_BID_FORMAT -DHAVE_CC_TLS -DUSE_EMUTLS -o unwind-dw2.o -MT unwind-dw2.o -MD -MP -MF unwind-dw2.dep -fexceptions -c ../../../source/gcc-8.2.0/libgcc/unwind-dw2.c
In file included from ../../../source/gcc-8.2.0/libgcc/gthr.h:148,
                 from ../../../source/gcc-8.2.0/libgcc/unwind-dw2.c:37:
./gthr-default.h:35:10: fatal error: pthread.h: No such file or directory
 #include <pthread.h>
          ^~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make[1]: *** [../../../source/gcc-8.2.0/libgcc/static-object.mk:17: unwind-dw2.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/[...]/cross_compilers/pkgs/gcc/build/i686-w64-mingw32/libgcc'
make: *** [Makefile:12735: all-target-libgcc] Error 2
Quote:
(BTW: Why not simply grab MinGW/GCC via MSYS2? This is what I'm using now exclusively)
The toolchain that the 'mingw-w64-build-r25' script produces is the only toolchain I have yet experience with. I'm still relatively new to this.
I might give it a try some day.
Old 31st December 2018, 13:51   #6  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRoNe View Post
The toolchain that the 'mingw-w64-build-r25' script produces is the only toolchain I have yet experience with. I'm still relatively new to this.
I might give it a try some day.
Just install MYSY2 from here (you probably want 64-Bit these days). Then start MSYS2 shell and run "pacman -Syu", restart MSYS2 shell, run "pacman -Su", and restart MSYS2 shell again.

Finally, run "pacman -S mingw-w64-i686-toolchain" or "pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-toolchain" to install MinGW/GCC targeting 32-Bit or 64-Bit, respectively. That's it

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 31st December 2018 at 13:54.
Old 8th November 2019, 08:26   #7  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
Finally, run "pacman -S mingw-w64-i686-toolchain" or "pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-toolchain" to install MinGW/GCC targeting 32-Bit or 64-Bit, respectively. That's it
That's simple, but it's not as smart as it may seem.
Downloading the entire "toolchain" means installing normally-unnecessary stuff... Most people need only the C and C++ compilers and really have no use for Ada, Fortran and etc.

So I recommend these command-lines:

1) pacman -S mingw-w64-i686-binutils mingw-w64-i686-crt-git mingw-w64-i686-gcc mingw-w64-i686-gcc-libs
mingw-w64-i686-headers-git mingw-w64-i686-libwinpthread-git mingw-w64-i686-tools-git mingw-w64-i686-winpthreads-git

2) pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-binutils mingw-w64-x86_64-crt-git mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc-libs
mingw-w64-x86_64-headers-git mingw-w64-x86_64-libwinpthread-git mingw-w64-x86_64-tools-git mingw-w64-x86_64-winpthreads-git

And only if you absolutely need them: mingw-w64-i686-winstorecompat-git && mingw-w64-x86_64-winstorecompat-git, respectively.

Last edited by filler56789; 11th December 2019 at 06:32. Reason: update
filler56789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2018, 19:59   #8  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Its a shame that they don't want to implement the stuff with native threading. winpthreads is kinda crappy.
Especially since someone already did all the work and made a header file with std::thread support for win32 threading model as well.

https://github.com/meganz/mingw-std-threads

Last edited by nevcairiel; 25th December 2018 at 20:02.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote