Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th January 2016, 11:14   #35601  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@IceB, which OS? Crossfire is problematic, especially on Windows 10. Try disabling it, to see if it makes a difference. You say "Since I have updated madvr". Which version did you use before? And that version definitely didn't have this issue? Are you sure the only thing you changed is the madVR version? You didn't change OS or GPU drivers at the same time, too? If so, it would be great if you could try to isolate the exact madVR build which introduced the problem for you. You can download old madVR builds from the link in the first post of this thread.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 11:20   #35602  |  Link
IceB

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
@IceB, which OS? Crossfire is problematic, especially on Windows 10. Try disabling it, to see if it makes a difference. You say "Since I have updated madvr". Which version did you use before? And that version definitely didn't have this issue? Are you sure the only thing you changed is the madVR version? You didn't change OS or GPU drivers at the same time, too? If so, it would be great if you could try to isolate the exact madVR build which introduced the problem for you. You can download old madVR builds from the link in the first post of this thread.
I am on Win OS 8.1 64 bit. Using mpc-hc, lav codecs and madvr all 32 bit. The only change I made is installing the latest madvr. I do not remember what 8x of madvr I had previosly installed but I have my previous madvr folder backed up. I will restore it and recheck again.
As for the crossfire, the second card is inactive according to the monitoring app. I do not enable the CF for the apps that have no profile for it. Moreover, previous madvr version worked well with the same CF configuration..

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
IceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 11:42   #35603  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Well, in that case, as I said, please try to isolate the exact madVR build which introduced the problem for you. That's the best way to approach the problem, because if I know which exact madVR build introduced the problem I can look at the source code changes in that exact version to find which change might be responsible for the problem. Practically that means you'd have to download different older madVR builds, until you find two consecutive builds where build X works and build X+1 shows the problem.
Old 24th January 2016, 11:55   #35604  |  Link
IceB

Quote:
Well... download different older madVR builds, until you find two consecutive builds where build X works and build X+1 shows the problem.
Will try and report.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
IceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 12:09   #35605  |  Link
bbsc

Quote:
Well, if you create a debug log, I can check if I can see something.
Sample video is here.
Logs are here.

Thank you.
bbsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 12:16   #35606  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsc View Post
Sample video is here.
Logs are here.

Thank you.
Does this one help?

http://madshi.net/madVRbbsc.rar
Old 24th January 2016, 12:26   #35607  |  Link
FDisk80

Where is the madVR's profile saved? Wasn't it the settings.bin file?
I can't find it anywhere. But somehow settings are still being saved.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 12:40   #35608  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

The "settings.bin" file is created if (and only if) madVR has write access to its own folder. In addition madVR always saves the settings to the registry (HKCU\Software\madshi\madVR\Settings).
Old 24th January 2016, 12:41   #35609  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
The "settings.bin" file is created if (and only if) madVR has write access to its own folder. In addition madVR always saves the settings to the registry (HKCU\Software\madshi\madVR\Settings).
Thank you.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 14:49   #35610  |  Link
XTrojan

What's the current issue with external subtitles in 3D or 3D subs at the moment? When I tried SBS external subs they were 3D but it felt weird. Does MadVR have the same issue StereoScopic player has; they have no depth and cause wierdness?

There's no player at the moment that can handle 3D subtitles well for some reason :/

Afaik 3D Bluray subs has dynamic "depth" or something similar located in the VUI or SEI, tsmuxer could remux this data into a .m2ts, although it's sad that it's development stopped. Maybe it's worth digging there?

Last edited by XTrojan; 24th January 2016 at 14:57.
XTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 15:19   #35611  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrojan View Post
What's the current issue with external subtitles in 3D or 3D subs at the moment? When I tried SBS external subs they were 3D but it felt weird. Does MadVR have the same issue StereoScopic player has; they have no depth and cause wierdness?

There's no player at the moment that can handle 3D subtitles well for some reason :/

Afaik 3D Bluray subs has dynamic "depth" or something similar located in the VUI or SEI, tsmuxer could remux this data into a .m2ts, although it's sad that it's development stopped. Maybe it's worth digging there?
Why don't you look 2 pages back in this thread, there are all your answers.
Old 24th January 2016, 15:26   #35612  |  Link
bbsc

Quote:
Sorry, but it doesn't.
Installed 0.90.3.
The original works as expected.
Replaced .ax

With Broadcom video decoder:
Test sample crashes madVR as before.
New logs are here.
"Normal" videos play as if there is no horizontal scanning sync (a lot of horisontal lines)

With LAV:
Test samle produces "Creating Direct3D device failed (80070005)" message and player pauses. Playing normal if resumed from this state.
"Normal" videos play normally.
Old 24th January 2016, 16:12   #35613  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsc View Post
Sorry, but it doesn't.
Installed 0.90.3.
The original works as expected.
Replaced .ax

With Broadcom video decoder:
Test sample crashes madVR as before.
New logs are here.
"Normal" videos play as if there is no horizontal scanning sync (a lot of horisontal lines)

With LAV:
Test samle produces "Creating Direct3D device failed (80070005)" message and player pauses. Playing normal if resumed from this state.
"Normal" videos play normally.
Sounds like a *really* crappy decoder. Ok, I'll try again. FWIW, with other renderers where you don't get the crash, are the bottom couple of video lines blacked out, or are they properly filled?
Old 24th January 2016, 16:35   #35614  |  Link
bbsc

Quote:
Sounds like a *really* crappy decoder. Ok, I'll try again. FWIW, with other renderers where you don't get the crash, are the bottom couple of video lines blacked out, or are they properly filled?
Others don't crash and properly filled.
But madVR is the single one which can do smooth playback and excellent sync.
EVR is working more or less but there's a problem with video framerate when it's encoded with VC1.

Ok, thank you for the effort, it's really a problem but not a huge one.
There're not so many videos with height not dividable by 4.
"Real" BD's and remuxes go just fine.

Last edited by bbsc; 24th January 2016 at 16:39.
Old 24th January 2016, 17:03   #35615  |  Link
evil-doer

Quote:
Oh. I just noticed we tested in the wrong order. As I wrote in my original post:

> If the problem does not occur with build 5, then it will
> also not occur with builds 6-10. In that case try build 2 or 3.

You said you had no problem with build 5, so your next test should have been build 2 or 3, and not build 6+. Sorry, didn't notice that before...
I dont have a problem with 3, 2, or 1 either.

The original problem was on potplayer 64 bit and I installed potplayer 32 bit for this testing, so maybe that has something to do with it?
evil-doer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 17:04   #35616  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-doer View Post
The original problem was on potplayer 64 bit and I installed potplayer 32 bit for this testing, so maybe that has something to do with it?
Easy enough to find out and use the version that did show the problem before?
Old 24th January 2016, 17:43   #35617  |  Link
evil-doer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Easy enough to find out and use the version that did show the problem before?
Thats not up to me, madshi only gave me the 32 bit files to test.
Old 24th January 2016, 17:46   #35618  |  Link
Uoppi

Quote:
That's most probably the low latency mode, which the media player activates when drawing any kind of OSD that needs quick reaction times (madVR's Ctrl+J OSD does *not* activate it, though). It also gets activated when the madVR exclusive mode seekbar is visible.
I remember in the past the present queue seemed to switch back to normal from 2 frames immediately as the seekbar disappeared (I'm using Kodi DSPlayer). Now there's some occasional switching back and forth, according to the madVR OSD stats.

But right now it's not getting "permanently" stuck at 2 frames anymore, so performance-wise the little hiccuping doesn't do any harm at all. I'm not sure what was happening when it was stuck at 2 frames, even without the seekbar visible (maybe my settings were maxing out and that's what caused it?). I've also had some crashes with a couple of Youtube videos, which hasn't happened before. It might have something to do with the latest Nvidia drivers.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 17:59   #35619  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-doer View Post
Thats not up to me, madshi only gave me the 32 bit files to test.
You misunderstand, use PotPlayer 32-bit with whichever madVR version you are having issues with, ie. 0.90.3, and see if the issues exist there as well. If not, thats a clue as well.
Old 24th January 2016, 18:23   #35620  |  Link
evil-doer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You misunderstand, use PotPlayer 32-bit with whichever madVR version you are having issues with, ie. 0.90.3, and see if the issues exist there as well. If not, thats a clue as well.
Um.. Not only is it working in 32 bit, its now working in 64 bit too. Unless Im somehow missing the magical feature that makes it crash. This is a real mystery now. Ill keep messing with settings and see if I can find what does it.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling