Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 22nd January 2014, 00:41   #1  |  Link
CoconutEx

Artifact-free AAC audio with multi-edition mkv?

Hi all. I'm trying to create a multi-edition mkv file with nice, artifact-free audio. I can accomplish this already using FLAC. If I encode each chapter's audio separately and then Append them all together while muxing, the audio is completely gapless when jumping over chapters that the current edition skips.

However, I can't figure out how to do this with anything less space-consuming. Ideally, I would like to use AAC. But it seems that the strategy of encoding each chapter separately does not work for AAC because there is a fixed chunk size, so the timing is slightly off, which introduces pops between chapters. Using the entire audio stream without breaking it results in some chapter skips being gapless, but not always.

How can I guarantee gapless, artifact-free audio with AAC? Or is it fundamentally impossible?

I am using Media Player Classic HC with LAV Filters. Latest versions of everything.
CoconutEx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aac, editions, mkv